Introducing Rachel Seigel!

Today’s new member is a break from our usual author-mold–but don’t worry. She knows plenty (certainly more than us authors!) about the publishing/book world.

So please give a warm welcome to…

Rachel Seigel

Why? Because Rachel is a a book seller. Yep, for the last six and a half years she has been the children’s and young adult book selector at a Canadian National Book wholesaler, and loves having the excuse to keep reading children’s books!

Rachel has always been a booklover, and is never long without a book in her hand. From a young age, she had many career ambitions, including Doctor, Lawyer, Veterinarian and Magician (all at once) but ended up doing none of those, instead making a career in the book industry. Rachel got her first official job in a bookstore twelve years ago in the children’s section of Indigo (a Canadian bookstore chain) and has never looked back. In addition to Pub Crawl, Rachel also maintains a personal blog where she reviews what she’s been reading and can be found hanging around Twitter as @rachelnseigel.

1. So tell us, Rachel: what qualities do you enjoy most in a book?

Other than good writing, which is a must, it has to have characters I care about, and a story that I can become emotionally invested in.

2. We definitely agree with the emotional investment! So what book has such a character? What character do you most admire?

I’ve always loved Sara Crewe from A Little Princess and the way that she behaved with grace and dignity even when it seemed like everything was hopeless.

3. So what book, then, if you could jump into one, would you choose?

The Phantom Tollbooth so I could visit the Kingdom of Wisdom and conduct the sunrise.

4. Niiiiice. That’s a beloved classic!  Have you read any book recently that left a major impact on you?

I’d have to say The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It’s narrated by Enzo the dog, who begins at the end of his life and reflects back on everything he’s learned about life and what it means to be human. Whenever I recommend it, I tell people they will bawl their eyes out, but close the book with a smile.

5. Bawling + smiling? Yes please! Now, when you aren’t reading children’s books, what kind of books do you like to read?

I’ll read nearly anything that catches my interest, but I tend not to read much adult sci-fi or fantasy.

6. You’ve got a pretty eclectic palate, then. Let’s try to narrow it down some. 😉 In the movie Midnight In Paris, the main character walks into the roaring twenties, which is his favorite literary era. Which era would you walk into and why?

I’d visit Europe at the tail end of the 19th century when writers like Henry James and Edith Wharton were writing about innocents abroad. I love their books, and I’m fascinated by that time period.

7. What a glamorous (at least in hindsight!) time period! Okay, random question: you’re at the pub! What food groups would you want to order?

Ice Cream and Cookies.

8. Nom-nom-nom! Now final question: do you have a personal motto or a favorite saying?

Yes! To quote the wonderfully uninhibited Cookie Monster,” Too much of a good thing is better”- especially when you’re talking about books!

Rachel (and Cookie Monster), you are so, SO right! There can never be too much of a good book–we wholeheartedly agree.

To celebrate Rachel’s arrival to Pub Crawl, she’s giving away a copy of her favorite book, The Phantom Tollbooth!

That’s right–Rachel is giving away a copy of this classic children’s story, and she’s gonna pass it along to one of YOU. All you have to do is fill out the little raffle form below, and we’ll announce the winner NEXT WEEK (on Wednesday)!

But that’s not all! Because we are all so incredibly over the moon after reaching 1000 Twitter followers yesterday, we decided to also throw in an ARC of April Henry’s The Night She Disappeared!

And, be sure to tune in tomorrow, when we introduce our next new member (and offer more fun swag!).

a Rafflecopter giveaway

96 Responses to Introducing Rachel Seigel!

1. Sally L Jan 11 2012 at 5:11 am #

Sara Crewe has always been one of my favourite fictional characters, and as a child, was one my role models. I have her to thank for my attempts at poise, grace and good posture 🙂

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang Jan 11 2012 at 12:33 pm #

I think THE LITTLE PRINCESS movie (not the one with Shirley Temple, but the other live-action one) was the first movie to ever make me cry as a child! I felt so badly for her! But yes, she’s a great character 🙂

RachelSeigel Jan 11 2012 at 12:40 pm #

I’ve seen both, but the more recent one is the better of the two. Still significant changes to the book, but it captures the spirit, and always makes me cry!

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 10:53 pm #

I’ve gotta say, THE LITTLE PRINCESS is STILL something I’ve yet to pick up. Terrible, huh?? Obviously, it’s now moving to the top of my TBR pile…

2. Laura Hughes Jan 11 2012 at 5:42 am #

Welcome, Rachel! Another Toronto girl here 🙂 … I can’t wait to check out your book recommendations! As for my favourite classic children’s books, I’m a big Anne of Green Gables fan! Also, the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Lovelace was (and still is!) really fun to read.

RachelSeigel Jan 11 2012 at 9:41 am #

So glad to meet you, and glad to meet another Toronto girl! 🙂

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 10:53 pm #

ANNE OF GREEN GABLES–YES YES!! Oh Gilbert…::sigh::

• M. Dee Jan 12 2012 at 1:36 am #

oooh that was another one of my favorite series ever. Although I dont think I read them all. Gilbert is definitely sigh worthy

3. Julie
    Julie Jan 11 2012 at 6:49 am #

Welcome, Rachel! So great to have the benefit of your industry knowledge here at Pub Crawl! <3

4. Tracey Berry Jan 11 2012 at 7:09 am #

Welcome, nice to “meet” you – always very interesting gaining a bit of insight into author’s preferences and reasons behind choices xx

5. Tracey Berry Jan 11 2012 at 7:12 am #

oops fave books had to be anything by Roald Dahl (James & The Giant Peach – loved the imaginativeness (is that a word?), C S Lewis & Enid Blyton (how on earth did the famous five get into so much trouble – but I didn’t care – they were filled with excitement and adventure) xx

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang Jan 11 2012 at 10:14 pm #

It’s really amazing what Roald Dahl came up with, isn’t it? 🙂 I remember reading so many of his books!

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 10:54 pm #

Roald Dahl is totally on my list too!! WITCHES–oh how that book terrified me while also empowering me. 😉

6. Kayla Jan 11 2012 at 7:15 am #

Hi, Rachel! It’s lovely to have the chance to get to know you and learn from you. Your job sounds absolutely amazing–I think I’m a tad jealous. 🙂

RachelSeigel Jan 11 2012 at 9:39 am #

Thanks very much Kayla. My job is a lot of work, but it is really fun! I wouldn’t want to do anything else! 🙂

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 10:55 pm #

I totally get jealous too, Rachel. You have so much industry insight and you’re so well-read!! Glad I can now mooch off your expertise. 😉

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:13 pm #

LOL! I’m happy to share! (Probably too happy)

7. Hannah Jan 11 2012 at 7:36 am #

Woohoo for the blog growing! Nice to meet you Rachel.

RachelSeigel Jan 11 2012 at 9:40 am #

Nice to meet you too! 🙂

8. Emy Shin Jan 11 2012 at 8:08 am #

Hi Rachel! Nice to meet you. 🙂

And too much of a good thing is definitely better!

My favorite MG classics would be THE SECRET GARDEN. That book is just delightful.

• Erin Bowman
      Erin Bowman Jan 11 2012 at 9:27 am #

Oh, Emy! THE SECRET GARDEN is a great one! I adored that book a a child!

RachelSeigel Jan 11 2012 at 9:38 am #

I’ve always loved the Secret Garden as well! And Little Princess!

• Sammy Jan 11 2012 at 10:54 am #

Seconded to BOTH of those. Love the books AND the movies! I think I actually got them as a 2-for-1 at Walmart for $5, haha.

So glad you’re here, Rachel! More industry people, yay!

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 10:58 pm #

Oh wow, THE SECRET GARDEN ! That takes me back…I need to reread it (and watch the movie versions!). I remember being AWED by how much that book moved me…

9. Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 8:11 am #

Welcome, WELCOME Rachel!!! SOOOOOOOO excited to have you and your industry expertise in the group! <3 <3

My favorite classics for kids include THE LAST UNICORN (is that for children, though?), A WRINKLE IN TIME, and anything by Roald Dahl!

10. Gina Rinelli Jan 11 2012 at 9:01 am #

Welcome, Rachel! Hmm… other than the obvious answer (Harry Potter) I had to think about this. For MG, I really loved Fablehaven by Brandon Mull, which is a great HP-like series for the younger crowd, and with both a female and a male protagonist (though it focuses mostly on the female). I also really enjoyed Schooled by Gordan Korman. For Teen, I really loved the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, especially the darker books 2 and 4, Ink Exchange and Radiant Shadows (companion novels to books 1-3-5, which follow the main plot).

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang Jan 11 2012 at 10:15 pm #

I’ve never read Fablehaven or Schooled! Will need to check them out 🙂

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 10:59 pm #

You know, I’ve yet to read Melissa Marr’s series–your recommendation has me VERY intrigued, Gina!!

11. Susan Jan 11 2012 at 9:18 am #

Hullo Rachel! It’s lovely to have you here – a book seller! I love different perspectives on things.

Favorite books from when I was younger – I basically read anything I could get my hands on, but I adored the Harry Potter series, Anne of Green Gables (I’ve always wished I could be Anne), and from when I was quite young, Corduroy. I still read Corduroy when I’m having a bad day; that little bear looking for his missing button always cheers me up.

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang Jan 11 2012 at 10:16 pm #

Corduroy!! I read that book over and over again as a kid 🙂

We’re super excited to have Rachel here, too 😀 😀

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:00 pm #

Oh. My. GOSH. Corduroy!!! BLAST FROM THE PAST, SUSAN! I haven’t thought of that in years and years and years… The feelings of nostalgia are overwhelming right now… ::sniffle::

12. Meredith Jan 11 2012 at 9:21 am #

Hi Rachel! Nice to meet you! 🙂

I honestly don’t know if I can narrow it down to just ONE classic YA or MG novel. I loved THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH, but I was equally crazy for A WRINKLE IN TIME, BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA, THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE, and many, many others. Judy Blume? Roald Dahl? I read everything they wrote. Books had a HUGE impact on me as a kid. And I can’t leave out the ANNE OF GREEN GABLES series. I read those so many times the spines cracked and the pages fell out. So yeah, FAIL at picking one.

RachelSeigel Jan 11 2012 at 9:35 am #

Thanks Meredith!

Nice to meet you too! I hate ever having to pick just one book for anything! There are too many!

• Erin Bowman
      Erin Bowman Jan 11 2012 at 9:54 am #

Meredith, I totally failed at picking just one, too! I’d forgotten BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA in my list list though. Man, how I love that book!

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:02 pm #

Ooooh, BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA. I’m getting misty-eyed just thinking of it…

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:13 pm #

I do too! I read that a dozen times when I was a kid- and even saw the corny PBS after school special version that was made in the 80’s with Annette O’Toole! I met Katherine Patterson one year at IRA and it was the thrill of my life!

13. Vanessa Di Gregorio
    Vanessa Di Gregorio Jan 11 2012 at 9:21 am #

WOOHOO! WELCOME, Rachel!!! <3 I'm so glad you agreed to be a part of the group 😀

I've always loved THE WIZARD OF OZ! That, and THE SECRET GARDEN. Those books will always have a spot in my heart for them. (I definitely feel as though I'm forgetting other faves, but they just aren't coming to me.)

RachelSeigel Jan 11 2012 at 9:35 am #

Thanks Vanessa, and thanks for getting me involved! 🙂

14. Erin Bowman
    Erin Bowman Jan 11 2012 at 9:26 am #

Yay, Rachel! So glad you’re no longer a “secret” member! And I totally agree with you on this: “Too much of a good thing is better”- especially when you’re talking about books!

In terms of classics for children, I adore THE GIVER to no end, even now as an adult, and the same is true of HARRY POTTER. As a child I devoured the RAMONA books, as well as everything Roald Dahl. Judy Blume got me through my early teen years (JUST AS LONG AS WE’RE TOGETHER!), and I have to agree with Sooz — THE LAST UNICORN and A WRINKLE IN TIME are both fantastic. So basically, I am incapable of picking just one favorite classic.

RachelSeigel Jan 11 2012 at 9:36 am #

I’m glad I’m not a secret anymore too! 🙂

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Jan 11 2012 at 10:27 am #

I love THE GIVER and THE LAST UNICORN! <3

• Sammy Jan 11 2012 at 10:55 am #

THE GIVER!!! How could I forget that one? I’ve always been obsessed with that book.

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:02 pm #

OOOH, RAMONA BOOKS!! Man, I devoured those growing up. GAH, there are just too many books I loved as a kid–I can’t keep track!

15. Zara Alexis Jan 11 2012 at 9:47 am #

I read a lot of Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, and Gordon Korman books when I was a kid. I really enjoyed the book, “Ramona Quimby, Age 8” and “Blubber.”

Zara
    zgarcia(dot)alvarez(at)gmail(dot)com
    On Twitter: @ZaraAlexis

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang Jan 11 2012 at 10:17 pm #

I loved the Ramona books 🙂 Such a great series.

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:16 pm #

I loved Ramona and anything Beverly Cleary as a kid. I even read her YA stuff! The Ramona movie last year made me cry!

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:03 pm #

BLUBBER!! I totally forgot about that one–but totally loved it!! Thanks for the reminder, Zara. 😀

16. Kat Zhang
    Kat Zhang Jan 11 2012 at 10:09 am #

Yay! Welcome, Rachel!! 😀 So glad to have you as part of Pub Crawl!

17. Arianna Sterling Jan 11 2012 at 10:35 am #

Welcome, Rachel! I think it’s really cool that we have a book seller on board now!

18. Caitlin Vanasse Jan 11 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Welcome Rachel! I’m actually super excited to see what non-author centric things you’ll bring to this blog!

I didn’t keep track of all the books I read as a child and I certainly went through phases [obsessed with The Boxcar Children, Maud Hart Lovelace, various horse books, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Sharon Creech, HP obsession, Tolkien obsession (The Hobbit is a Children’s classic, right?)] but now as an adult the one book that I remember best and most is one that pretty much no one has ever heard of. Ellen Kindt McKenzie’s Under the Bridge is a book my father picked up at a library sale and read to us when I was perhaps 8? It’s about how letters from a “troll” help a boy to cope after his mother’s nervous breakdown. It’s absolutely wonderful and I wish more people had read it.

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang Jan 11 2012 at 10:18 pm #

UNDER THE BRIDGE sounds really, really interesting. Will need to add that to my to-read list 🙂

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:04 pm #

UNDER THE BRIDGE, eh? ::goes to google now::

And YES to Laura Ingalls Wilder AND the Boxcar Children! How could I forget those greats??

19. Hannah Jan 11 2012 at 12:54 pm #

I really enjoyed A Little Princess as well. Sounds like I should try The Secret Garden as well. Thanks guys. 🙂

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Let us know if you enjoy it!! 😀

20. Sarah S Jan 11 2012 at 1:39 pm #

I agree with so many of the books people have mentioned — too many to even try to pick one favorite! One other book I really enjoyed as a kid was From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler — it had the perfect amount of mystery and adventure.

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:06 pm #

OH NO YOU DIDN’T, SARAH.

Mixed-Up Files was TOTALLY life-changing for me. Gosh, I’m getting chills just thinking about it! I MUST go reread that…

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:11 pm #

I remember reading that one in fifth grade! I loved it! (Though I might not have admitted it to the teacher who made me read it)

21. SarahJMaas
    SarahJMaas Jan 11 2012 at 1:49 pm #

YAY, RACHEL!!!! So, so happy to have you with us at Pub Crawl!!!!!!

22. Michelle V. Jan 11 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Welcome, Rachel! That was a fun interview. And what an interesting job. I have decided to aspire to become like you. So many great titles that you’ve spoken about. My favorite YA/MG book was Bridge to Terabithia. Something about that story always gets me.

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:07 pm #

Michelle, that story sinks down into your heart and stays for life, doesn’t it? Such a great book.

23. Yahong Jan 11 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Hey there, Rachel! You quote the Cookie Monster — you’re official cool. And that’s that. Yup. 😀

My favourite classic YA/MG? The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. That DESERVES to be a classsic, man.

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:08 pm #

Oh, NICE, Yahong. That’ll definitely be a classic in the years to come. 🙂

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Hi Yahong.

I totally agree about THE BOOK THIEF and can’t wait for his next book to come out next fall!

24. Erica Jan 11 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Hi Rachel!!
    I’m a former bookseller in the children’s dept. (at BN) and I wish I had stayed. I’m glad that there will be a bookseller’s point of view on this blog!

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Thanks Erica!

I know what you mean- I love my job, but I miss the direct interaction with kids!

25. Adriana Marachlian Jan 11 2012 at 8:07 pm #

Hiiiiiii Rachel! And welcome! 😀

My favorite classic MG/YA/I-don’t-actually-know-what-it-was-under-back-then is The Enchanted Forest Chronicles <3 So much love for Cimorene and Mendanbar! And anything by Diana Wynne Jones <3 <3

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Oh, SWOON to Mendanbar!! You know of my love for that series, Adriana–and my complete adoration for anything by Diana Wynne Jones. HOW COULD I FORGET THOSE ON MY OWN LIST?

26. Katelyn Larson Jan 11 2012 at 10:31 pm #

Hi, Rachel!!! I’ve been sitting here trying to figure out my favorite classic YA novel and can’t for the life of me. Isn’t it annoying how that happens? I always blank when I’m asked to name my favorite books. I am now determined to figure out my favorites. 🙂

• Sooz Jan 11 2012 at 11:10 pm #

Hahaha! Good luck, Katelyn! All I’ve managed to gleen today is that I have at least 25 favorites. 😉

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Jan 12 2012 at 11:17 am #

I think that’s one of the reasons I joined Goodreads – I was just so tired of forgetting books that I LOVE! There’s ONE book in particular that haunts me to this day, and all I can remember for the life of me is that the protagonist dies of a disease at the end (saving others from his fate), and I bawled my eyes out for hours. But there was also something beautiful and inspiring to it – and I just can’t REMEMBER! ARGH! I wish I had bought books as a child, and not borrowed them!!

So yes! Goodreads! Now I can keep track of what I’ve read (and especially what I’ve LOVED).

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:15 pm #

Hi Katelyn!

I have the same problem. People ask me to name favourites all of the time, and it’s so hard to do! There are so many that I’ve loved over the years, how do I pick just one?

27. Meredith Anderson Jan 11 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Welcome, Rachel! I’ve always dreamed about being surrounded by books all the time. It must be fantastic to be able to talk to people and give suggestions about books to read, too! That’s what we’d all like to do, I think, is share the books that we love.

I haven’t read The Phantom Tollbooth, but it sounds great! If I don’t win, I’ll be sure to pick it up. As for my favorite classic YA it would have to be Ella Enchanted. I’ve read it a thousand times and it still makes me laugh and cry. I share it with everyone I can convince to read it. It’s one of the first books I remember loving that much and it certainly made me LOVE Fairy Tales even more.

Welcome again!
    Mer

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Jan 12 2012 at 11:18 am #

OMG, how could I forget ELLA ENCHANTED?!? Seriously, I’ve reread it so many times (and still do!) that it’s falling apart!

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:10 pm #

Thanks Meredith!

It is a lot of fun being surrounded by books, but I feel guilty that I can’t read them all, or even sell all of them! My favourite part of the job is definitely sharing or “handselling” books that I love with customers and then hearing that the kids loved them! I love Ella Enchanted too!

28. M. Dee Jan 12 2012 at 1:34 am #

Hi Rachel,
    Welcome 🙂
    I love the Little Princess book and the movie. This is the first I’ve heard of the Phantom Tollbooth though.
    My favorite YA novels are the Dark Materials trilogy and The Wind on Fire trilogy (i think they both made me bawl and smile)
    Books I read as a child- a lot of Enid Blyton’s books (The Wishing Chair, The Naughtiest Girl, The Far Away tree…)

29. Leigh Bardugo
    Leigh Bardugo Jan 12 2012 at 3:02 am #

As a kid, PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH sat on my shelf for years. For some reason, I just refused to pick it up. When I finally did, I read it again, and again, and again. Such a lovely choice. Glad to see you on PubCrawl, Rachel!

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Thanks Leigh!

I have my fourth grade teacher to thank for reading us this book in class- I found it totally magical!

30. Chantal Jan 12 2012 at 6:22 am #

I loved The Little Princess movie, I didn’t know there was a book! I’ll have to pick it up. My favourite classic YA novel is The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander. I also liked Holes by Louis Sachar and Lord of the Flies by William Golding!

I’ve never heard of Phantom Tollbooth, but now I’m intrigued and will have to pick that one up too. Welcome to PC Rachel!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Jan 12 2012 at 11:19 am #

YES! I LOVED Lord of the Flies!!

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Thanks Chantal!

You’ll love both books- and I’m a big Louis Sachar fan- I’ve shared “Sideways Stories From Wayside School) with every kid I’ve ever babysat/taught! And Holes is totally classic!

31. Alyssa Jan 12 2012 at 9:32 am #

Hi, Rachel! Being surrounded by books all day every day is an awesome way to make a living. 🙂

The Phantom Tollbooth is one of my absolute favorites as well. I’ll never forget the first time I read it as a kid. It was so different from anything else I’d read and I loved it! There are so many more classics that I’ve read and loved, but the ones that spring instantly to mind are Matilda, Bridge to Terabithia, The Giver, The Westing Game, The Secret Garden and, of course, The Hobbit. Like I said, there are many! 😛

32. Chele Jan 12 2012 at 11:48 am #

Hiii, Rachel! I envy you, it’s so awesome to get to read all the time and call it work! ;D

And gah this is such a hard question, I’ve got so many I read and reread (and reread and reread…) that it’s hard to pick a favourite! I’m gonna go with Anne of Green Gables and Narnia, those are the two series of the lot that I always go back to. Anne was my sole reason for wanting to be a redhead (so I get to be with Gilbert, swoonsigh pahaha), and oh Narnia Narnia, how I spent time headbutting the back of my wardrobe trying to get there… <3

RachelSeigel Jan 12 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Hi Chele.

I do read a lot, but believe it or not, that mostly has to be done on personal time. I usually have a lot of other work relating to my job that I have to do, so I don’t get to read during the day. That’s where a long commute on public transit comes in! 😉

33. Lauren Goff Jan 12 2012 at 10:42 pm #

I always loved the Black Stallion series and the Nancy Drew books when I was a kid. The Nancy Drew books are actually what inspired me to start writing myself 🙂

34. Angie Jan 12 2012 at 10:45 pm #

Anne of Green Gables! I just watched the movie from the 1930’s!!

35. Petra @ Safari Poet Jan 13 2012 at 2:04 am #

I can’t really name a MG/YA classic since I haven’t read any of them… yet.

36. Jenelle R. Jan 13 2012 at 4:17 am #

Ohhh… Well, I don’t really like classics. :/ The Night she Disappeared looks pretty cool though; I’ll be checking it out! 😀

37. Amie Kaufman
    Amie Kaufman Jan 14 2012 at 12:22 am #

A bookseller! You guys are awesome! It’s such an under-represented perspective in book blogging, which is weird, because after all, who knows more about what people buy?

I have to admit, I only got my hands on a copy of Phantom Tollbooth last year — it’s not one of those books that every kid reads here in Australia, but I’d heard about it so many times that I had to try it.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Jan 19 2012 at 9:38 pm #

Thanks Amie! We thought so too! I’m so lucky that my job involves me talking to booksellers all the time – because they really have the most interesting insights, and are fantastic at recommending good books!

38. Bee Jan 15 2012 at 4:15 pm #

ZOMG, there are *so* many to choose from. SO many.

Anything by Enid Blyton is an instant favourite. I was stark raving bonkers in love with her FAMOUS FIVE series. And, MALORY TOWERS. And every freaking thing she wrote.

And, OH GOSH, Roald Dahl’s THE BFG, which I won for topping class in English waaaay back in middle school. Such an awesome book.

And there’s HEIDI, THE SECRET GARDEN, A LITTLE PRINCESS, ANNE OF GREEN GABLES which I think everyone here practically mentioned, but they deserve another mention. And how could I forget LITTLE WOMEN?! Such a classic.

Can you tell I adored the question? 😉

39. Laura E. Wardle Jan 17 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Welcome to Pub Crawl! So excited to see a book seller amongst this already amazing crowd! 😀

Looove the question! For me, it was (and always will be) Harry Potter. If I hadn’t become so obsessive about the series, which turned me into the fervent reader I am today. I went on to study English Literature at degree level, work as a library assistant and spend pretty much all of my free time reading and writing. She’s the reason I aspire to be a novelist, though my genre is women’s fiction.

She encouraged the expansions of young imaginations. She made reading the ‘in thing’ again. It was because of Hermione that I became proud to be a nerd and a bit of a teacher’s pet and that it was okay to be smart.

Honestly, I could go on forever about how influential those books have been in my life. They’ve given me a way out when I didn’t have one during those difficult teenage years. Even now, over a decade after I started reading, they still fill me with the same immense joy. They are just… magical. <3

• Laura E. Wardle Jan 17 2012 at 3:54 pm #

Grrr! I need to learn to proof read… I meant if I hadn’t become so obsessive about HP, then I wouldn’t be the woman I am. *hides*

• Vanessa Di Gregorio