Introducing Marie Lu!

I hope you guys have enjoyed getting to know our new members these past few days! Today, we’re introducing the last new member for Pub Crawl. Starting tomorrow, we’re going to be doing mini-re-introductions of the old Let The Words Flow members. We’ll be doing this in groups, so look forward to re-meeting Sarah, Susan, and Vanessa tomorrow!

But back to today’s member, the lovely…

Marie Lu!

Marie SquareMARIE LU is the debut author of Legend, now out from Putnam Children’s [Penguin Group]. Prior to writing full-time, she was an art director at a video game company, where she worked on Facebook games. She graduated from the University of Southern California in 2006 and lives in Los Angeles, where she spends her time lost on the freeways.

Legend

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’ death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

1. When you started writing Legend, which came first for you: the characters or the plot? (Did you have the idea for the story first then think of the characters, or did you write a story about characters you’d already had in mind?) Or neither…?

I almost always have characters come first when I’m thinking of a new story. For Legend, my initial idea was: teen criminal vs. teen detective. From there, I started developing the personalities and backgrounds of these two main characters, and eventually they became Day and June. It wasn’t until a few weeks later that I created the world that these two would be duking it out in.

2. Many of the other members of Pub Crawl start their story-building process with characters, as well! But others find that part the most challenging. What was the biggest challenge you faced in writing Legend?

I’d say the biggest challenge by far was writing June’s voice from a first person point of view. June, the teen detective girl, is a character who’s supposed to be extremely and prodigiously intelligent, as well as analytical to a fault. I don’t think I really understood just how difficult it would be to write a protagonist who is smarter than I am. I would stop to do so much random research for her! I swear I must be on the CIA’s watchlist after all the weird stuff I googled while writing about June.

3. Haha! Yeah, I’m afraid you wouldn’t be the only one 😉 Let’s talk about something a little less dangerous, then (or maybe more so?!) Which one of your characters would you most want to kiss?

Hmm…probably Day, if I were the same age as him. He’s probably the best kisser out of the cast. 😉

4. That’s always a good reason! Well, barring any scenes involving kissing, then, if you were transported into your book, which scene would you most want to reenact?

In Legend’s world, there are these illegal street duels called Skiz fights. One of the scenes in the middle of the book has a Skiz fight, and I think it’d be pretty fun to be transported into that audience and watch how it all plays out.

5. Wow, that sounds super exciting. (Actually, since I’ve read the book, I can say that scene WAS super exciting!) Talking about exciting, what’s your next writing project?

I’ve actually started working a little on a new secret idea for a series, one that I’d really plunge into after I finish up the Legend trilogy. I can’t say much about it, but it should hopefully be fun!

6. Can’t wait to hear more about it! All right, penultimate question: if you could spend a night at the pub with any 3 authors (alive or dead) who would it be and why?

1. J.K. Rowling. Well, obviously! Harry Potter‘s only MY CHILDHOOD. 🙂
  2. Brian Jacques. His Redwall series is one of my favorites of all time, and I’m so sad that I never got to meet him. I’ve heard he can tell a riproaring story in person. I’m pretty sure he was great pub company.
  3. Suzanne Collins. Because The Hunger Games is freakishly awesome. I’m sure I could talk her ear off about dystopias and dystopian concepts!

7. We’d love to meet with those writers, too! Following the “pub” theme, what sort of outfit would your main character wear to a pub? Or would s/he never be caught dead in one??

Totally steampunk! Steampunk and pubs are joined at the hip. I know Day would saunter into pubs without a doubt, and he’d probably be dressed in a rumpled collar shirt and vest, goggles, and trousers tucked into boots. He’d probably have a newsboy cap on, too, and an assortment of knives hidden at his belt and under his clothes.

Sounds amazing, Marie! Very kickass, haha.

Marie’s book is already out (hooray!) and today, to celebrate, we’re giving away a finished copy of it!

That’s right—we’re giving away a shiny (literally!) new copy of Legend to one of YOU. All you have to do is fill out the little raffle form below, and we’ll announce the winner NEXT WEEK (on Friday)!

And, be sure to tune in tomorrow, when we start re-introducing our old Let The Words Flow members (and offer more super exciting swag!).

a Rafflecopter giveaway

78 Responses to Introducing Marie Lu!

1. Sally L Jan 16 2012 at 4:18 am #

Wow, ‘LEGEND’ sounds incredible!

Ok, three authors with whom I’d spend a night at the pub:
    1. J.K. Rowling, because like Marie, “Harry Potter’s only MY CHILDHOOD.” Actually, Harry Potter’s only MY LIFE, but let’s not dwell on that, shall we?
    2. J.R.R. Tolkien, because I’d really like to spend my entire life talking about Middle-Earth, and all the little details that Tolkien spent the time and effort creating.
    3. Scott Westerfeld. I’m not going to lie, his ‘Leviathan’ trilogy helps me to remember the general details of the politics of WWI, albeit in a highly fictional and steam-punk way. The ‘Leviathan’ trilogy also made me fall in love with the genre of steampunk, so I’d really like to talk more with him about that.

2. Amie Kaufman
    Amie Kaufman Jan 16 2012 at 5:16 am #

Welcome, Marie! Dibs sitting next to Day at this fictional pub. That way I can do my admiring up close, and with all those knives, I think I’m going to want to make friends real quick, so he’s on my side.

• Julie
      Julie Jan 16 2012 at 9:23 am #

Okay, Amie, but I get to sit on the other side of him! 😉

3. Sooz Jan 16 2012 at 5:38 am #

Oh jeez, Marie–I TOTALLY know what you mean about being on the CIA watch list… I had to google all sorts of nefarious things for SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY (like how to make dynamite or build EMPs…OOPS!).

BUT YAAAAAY FOR JOINING PUB CRAWL!! <3 <3 I'm so happy to have you with us. 😀 I see LEGEND everywhere I go, and if it weren't for the heavy weight of it (darn flying-to-Europe packing restrictions), I'd buy the lovely hard copy (all that colorful font, oh my!). Alas, the Kindle version will just have to do. 😉

4. Erica Jan 16 2012 at 6:32 am #

Welcome Marie! I’ve read Legend and was blown away!

The three authors I would spend the night in the pub with:
    1.) J.K. Rowling, of course! I share your sentiment. Harry Potter was a big chunk of my childhood as well!
    2.) Maggie Stiefvater, because she’s such an awesome and funny person! Seriously, she could break out the bagpipes and we could sing about horses.
    3.) Clive Barker, because his imagination and artwork and world-building are incredible!! I would most likely grill him on when Abarat 4 is coming out…

5. Nhi Jan 16 2012 at 6:34 am #

Wait we only get to pick THREE authors? Boooooooo!

1. Melina Marchetta – because I basically worship the ground she walks on, and any word she breathes into her works.
    2. J. K. Rowling – must I say any more?
    3. L. M. Montgomery – because I freaking loved the Anne of Green Gable series. Although I imagine that all of us will end up in a fancy botanical garden sipping tea and being ladida than being caught dead in a pub. Or something…

6. savannahjfoley Jan 16 2012 at 8:23 am #

1. Chuck Palahniuk.
    2. James Thurber
    3. K. A. Applegate

And as for being on the CIA’s watchlist… when writing my zombie book I was trying to get a hold of the Anarchist’s Handbook. Given that an unedited version was pretty difficult to find, I settled for a Munitions Handbook put out by the Army, which basically teaches you to, you know, make dirty bombs from basic household materials. o.O

7. Laura Hughes Jan 16 2012 at 8:44 am #

Wow, I’m so impressed by the amazing lineup you guys have on Publishing Crawl! Welcome, Marie! If I could pick 3 authors to sit with, it would have to be

1. Diana Gabaldon — the Outlander series is what inspired me to write time travel.
    2. Jasper Fforde — his creativity blows me away
    3. Meg Cabot — If I could live inside the Princess Diary books, I would!

8. Meredith Jan 16 2012 at 8:51 am #

Welcome, Marie! I have been DYING to read LEGEND. Hmm, 3 authors I’d want to head to the pub with?

1. J.K. Rowling because I mean duh.
    2. Stephen King because see item 1.
    3. Edward Rutherford because no one, and I mean no one, does epic sprawling historical as well as he does and I’d love to pick his brain.

9. Julie
    Julie Jan 16 2012 at 9:26 am #

Welcome Marie! I just finished reading LEGEND on Friday and it’s still occupying my imagination. I’m so glad to have you hear at Pub Crawl! 🙂

10. Chele Jan 16 2012 at 9:32 am #

Welcome, Marie! Legend sounds SO badass, guess which book I’m getting next time I’m at the bookstore? ;]

And my three authors (really, just three? Now I KNOW ya’ll are making this hard on purpose ;P) would be

1. JK Rowling – because otherwise I wouldn’t be here. On this blog. Literally, I would not. Because even though it wasn’t Harry Potter that got me started on reading books, it was DEFINITELY the one that got me started on writing ’em.
    2. Mercedes Lackey – because holyfreakincrow all those epic fantasies and fairy tale retellings were WIN. I want to worship her, and pick her brain. Or maybe both at the same time.
    3. Rick Riordan – because really, that snarky wit amazes me. Maybe a couple hours in a pub + a few literary cocktails will let me absorb some of that awesome 8D

11. Hannah Jan 16 2012 at 9:37 am #

Legend sounds amazing.

Three authors?
    1. J.K. Rowling – everybody who’s picked her already has answered why.
    2. Oscar Wilde – I just love his writing.
    3. I can’t pick! There are too many options.

12. Alexa Y. Jan 16 2012 at 10:06 am #

It’s very tough to pick three authors who I’d want to spend time with because there are so many amazing ones I’d want to meet! I’m going to have to say:

1. William Shakespeare – Even at a young age, I was fascinated by his work and his ability to tell a story with such beautiful, poetic language. I’d love to pick his brain about everything he created!
    2. J.K. Rowling – She was my entire pre-adolescence. For real. I grew up with Harry Potter, and it would be so awesome to get the background behind her writing, the world and the characters.
    3. Maggie Stiefvater – I absolutely ADORE her writing style and her books. I’ve met her in person already, but I would love to have an in-depth discussion on how she writes the way she does.

13. Sammy Bina Jan 16 2012 at 10:10 am #

Marie, I’m so glad you’re here! After I rearranged the books at B&N so LEGEND was facing out, I’m finally going back to buy it this week. I already skimmed the first few chapters and loved what I saw, so I’m SO EXCITED to finally get to sit down and read it!

14. Leonicka Valcius Jan 16 2012 at 10:10 am #

Tolkein, CS Lewis, and Ursula K. LeGuin. Tolkein and Lewis because I love the idea of them being besties and LeGuin because she was one of the first woman fantasy writers that I read.

15. elena Jan 16 2012 at 10:20 am #

What a tough question! I think it would be Haruki Murakami, JK Rowling (of course, I don’t know exactly what I would SAY to her but hey, at least I can say I met her!), and Neil Gaiman!

16. Warisha Jan 16 2012 at 10:38 am #

I would spend the night at a pub with J.K. Rowling, Cassandra Clare and L.J. Smith because they are all great authors and I would like to know more about almost every character and the books.

17. Jasmine Stairs Jan 16 2012 at 10:50 am #

My three authors I’d like to spend a night with is a bit of a cheat. I’m not very comfortable with meeting new people, so I’d go with writers I already know. So, writers I know who are published… Abby Rustad, Peta Freestone and Brooke Bolander! And then if I got super-brave and mildly inebriated (they’d probably go hand in hand) I’d go sit with Sarah Rees Breenan, Maureen Johnson and John Green. Because they seem so lovely on the internet.

18. Vahini Jan 16 2012 at 10:53 am #

Yay 😀 Welcome, Marie!!!

19. Erin Bowman
    Erin Bowman Jan 16 2012 at 11:02 am #

Yay, Marie!!! So glad you are with us! And hooray for LEGEND!!! I’m right there with you when it comes to meeting J.K. Rowling in a pub. Harry was my childhood as well.

20. Ellen Jan 16 2012 at 11:03 am #

Hi Marie! Your book sounds totally awesome! I, personally, love the girl against boy angle, so I’ll have to get my hands on Legend somehow.

Three authors I’d like to go to the pub with:

1. J.K. Rowling, for all the reasons listed above.
    2. Laurie Halse Anderson, who is basically the reason I started reading/writing YA.
    3. John Green. Nerdfighters for the win!

21. Kayla B. Jan 16 2012 at 11:23 am #

1. J. R. R. Tolkien
    This is the man whose books inspired me to learn how to read. My mother read me the first few chapters of the Hobbit to me when I was little, and then she put the book back on the shelf. When I asked for it as a bedtime story the next night, she told me no. She said that Tolkien’s work was something that I would have to read for myself to truly appreciate it. Needless to say, I was reading on a college reading level by the time I was ten.
    2. C. S. Lewis
    The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was the book that taught me to love books. I had always enjoyed reading, but being whisked away to Narnia with Lucy, Edmund, Peter, and Susan. It was so magical, and I often wish that I could feel again the way I did when first read this book. There really are no words to do that emotion justice.
    3. Stephen King
    I do not like horror novels. I do not like guts, gore, and doom. I do not like being scared. All of those things give me horrible nightmares. That being said, Stephen King is a magnificent wordsmith who weaves words in such a manner that will bring even the biggest sissy over to the dark side. The Stand, Duma Key, and the Dark Tower series are some of my favorite things that I have read, ever. Yes, I may skip over some of the ickier parts, but I would not miss his masterpieces for the world. Proof of my fandom – I chose his birthday to have my daughter when I knew she was going to have to come early. I’d like to tell him that in person at the pub – right before he gets a restraining order, I’m sure.

I realize that if I got these three gentlemen together in a room, they would be too busy talking shop with each other, but I would still be appreciative of just eavesdropping on their conversation.

22. Vanessa Di Gregorio
    Vanessa Di Gregorio Jan 16 2012 at 11:37 am #

WOOHOO!!! So glad we finally got to announce you as the last member, Marie! And I’m even MORE ecstatic that you joined out group! 😀

And the authors I’d like to chat with at the pub (and possibly try to drink under the table) would be:
    1. J.K. Rowling. Needs no explanation.
    2. Gail Carson Levine. I’d love to chat about fairy tale retellings!
    3. Susan Juby. She’s writes THE quirkiest characters, and some of the best dialogue. And she’s also a fascinating person with a fascinating history!

23. Joan Jan 16 2012 at 12:02 pm #

wow! All the members are here now!! Exciting 🙂

My three authors would be:
    1. Janet Evanovich, author of the Stephanie Plum series because she’d be amazing company! Look at all those wacky, witty, thrilling books she’s written and the characters that make me laugh out loud!
    2. Sidney Sheldon, because he is a-ma-zing. Wow. Beats Dan Brown by a mile. His books are incredible!
    3. Jennifer Donnelly — her Revolution is my absolute favourite!

24. Athena Franco Jan 16 2012 at 12:12 pm #

I’m so excited that Marie Lu is going to be contributing!

Authors I’d Love to Do Shots With:

* Brandon Sanderson: He really showed me the potentials in fantasy writing. I kind of consider him my writing guru. I’d love to hear the writing wisdom he spouts while plastered!
    * Meg Cabot: She’s hilarious, I just love her heroines. Plus I think she’d have fun doing karaoke between cocktails.
    * Scott Westerfeld: A great writer and I think he’d be a BLAST at a party!

25. Shiloh Jan 16 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Any three authors ever? At a pub. Hmmm.
    1. Mercedes Lackey. I’d love to pick her brain about writing, publishing, and all the other things she’s so good at.
    2. Neil Gaiman. Because he seems really cool and I’d love to just listen to him talk. In that accent. All night.
    3. Jim Butcher. Because we’re both nerds and I bet getting drunk with him would be a hoot.

26. kemendraugh Jan 16 2012 at 12:55 pm #

I have been watching this book for some time! Can’t wait to read it!

As for my authors, it would have to be the Inklings. C.S Lewis, Tolkien, Roger Lancelyn Green, Charles Williams, ANY three of them. They are my favourite pub-group of all time 🙂

27. Hannah Jan 16 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Okay three authors:

Oscar Wilde (he would be hilarious I bet), J.K. Rowling, and C.S. Lewis!

Legend sounds amazing!

28. Vivien Jan 16 2012 at 1:09 pm #

1.JK Rowling — I’m not even sure this needs a why. Harry Potter rocked my fiction world!
    2. Carrie Ryan — I feel in love with Zombies after reading her series.
    3. Melissa Marr — I need to chat about fairy lore with her. The world she created has so many facets!

29. Sam R. Jan 16 2012 at 1:35 pm #

1.) Cormac McCarthy. He’s my absolute favorite author and he’s really reclusive, so nobody knows much about him. I would love to meet him and see inside his awesome head.

2.) JK Rowling. I feel like this needs no explanation. I love her and Harry Potter.

3.) John Green.

30. Brandon Scott Jan 16 2012 at 1:43 pm #

1) Michael Grant- I need to know where he gets his inspiration for such twisted ideas.
    2) Veronica Roth- I want to chat about which faction really is the best. (GO ERUDITE!)
    3) L.J. Smith- I need to know, what the heck happened… why are the Vampire Diaries: The Return books sooooo bad… and why people believe she’s gone down hill.

31. Lori M. Lee Jan 16 2012 at 1:52 pm #

How awesome! Marie Lu is such a fantastic writer.

1. JK Rowling b/c yes, duh xD I want to pick her brains for more HP info 😀
    2. John Green b/c my god, the level of awesome that would be *_*
    3. Neil Gaiman b/c he is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, and my brain shrivels when thinking about it.

32. SarahJMaas
    SarahJMaas Jan 16 2012 at 2:15 pm #

YAY!!! Welcome to PubCrawl, Marie!!! SO excited to have you on board!!!! 😀 😀

33. picyadri Jan 16 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Welcome Marie! I am so glad to read that you’re working on another series, can’t wait:)

1. J.K.Rowling
    2. John Green
    3. Taylor Laini

But I think I would be too awestruck and I would just sit there and listen to them talk:)

34. Jessica Jan 16 2012 at 2:48 pm #

JK Rowling and Suzanne Collins are two of my favorite authors, as well. I can’t wait to see The Hunger Games movie in March. It looks awesome!

35. Parajunkee Jan 16 2012 at 3:01 pm #

This was a great book. I had an ARC but I passed it along to a friend and don’t expect it to come back. I would love to have my own copy. It was one of my favorite dysotpian reads. Thanks so much for writing for us Marie!

36. Krystle Jan 16 2012 at 3:18 pm #

I’d love to sit down with:

Vladimir Nabokov – His prose is the most gorgeous thing I’ve read in my life and would love to see him talk about his writing process.

Mishima Yukio – Also has gorgeous prose but was also one of the most eccentric and public figures in Japanese literature. I would love to figure out what makes him, him, and how it affected his work and why he chose to write his work in such a way.

J.K. Rowling – Oh, I love Harry Potter. I so would discuss his world and the characters with her for hours and hours! I would love to get her opinion on what she thinks about all the different merchandise that’s come out about her book. Ahahaha.

37. Tristan Jan 16 2012 at 3:20 pm #

This book looks and sounds so amazing! I have heard so many good things about it! 🙂

The 3 authors I would love to talk to would have to be
    J.K. Rowling because of everything she has accomplished and because I love her books!
    Rick Riordan because his style of writing is different from most authors and I just feel like he would be a cool guy to talk too.
    Veronica Roth because she is a new author and I would love to just get her opinion on the whole writing thing and how it feels to be a published author and have so many people that love your book!

38. Ella Jan 16 2012 at 3:31 pm #

Dystopian fiction, hell yes. June sounds like a character I would really like! So many books here I have to pick up…

As for the three authors I’d love to sit down with – J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, and C. S. Lewis. For fairly obvious reasons.

39. Kaye M. Jan 16 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Hey, Marie! I was so excited to see you’re a new member of Publishing Crawl! Congratulations! Erm, three authors I’d like to sit with…Diana Wynne Jones because Howl Pendragon is my fictional husband and I would want to pick her brain about writing fantasy “the right way”, Laini Taylor because her hair is pink and she’s awesome, and Thomas Jefferson because, seriously? I need some of that patience and commitment to going through draft after draft…

40. Rika Ashton Jan 16 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Hi Marie! LEGEND sounds unbelievably epic!

Three authors that I would want to sit with are J. K. Rowling (that one needs no explaination), J. R. R. Tolkien (the man is a legend and he inspired me to read my first “chapter book”) and Rick Riordan (because he got my little brother to read — and that is a miracle). I’d also like to add the Brother’s Grimm, although they’re not strictly authors in the traditiona sense, they recorded all of my favourite fairy tales.

41. Bee Jan 16 2012 at 5:25 pm #

This is so freaking AWESOME! Love Marie’s answers 🙂

Authors I’d LOVE to spend the night at the pub with?

JK ROWLNG – Only because Harry Potter’s my LIFESTYLE *shrugs*

EMILY BRONTE – I’d like to pick her brain and find out how she came about that wicked crazy love story set upon the Yorkshire moors that has me swooning in this very twisted way, every time I read it.

JACLYN MORIARTY – Because I only have the biggest author crush on her. And she writes quirky books. I love quirky.

42. Adeeti Jan 16 2012 at 5:43 pm #

Ahhh I have been making eyes at this book across the literary bar for a while now…fingers crossed! Hmm 3 writers, alive or dead. Pablo Neruda so I could swoon at every perfect word that comes out of his mouth, Gregory Maguire because Wicked is one of the most incredible classic story retellings EVAAAAAR, and Neil Gaiman because…well he’s Neil Gaiman. You guys have turned the incredibly dull month of January into such fun! Can’t wait to see what else you have planned for us =)

43. Katelyn Larson Jan 16 2012 at 5:45 pm #

LEGEND sounds awesome. I definitely want to get my hands on it. 🙂

Your three authors are ridiculously close to my own. Mine are:
    1.) J. K. Rowling because I could read Harry Potter a thousand times and still love turning every page. Those books are just sheer awesome.
    2 and 3.) Tamora Pierce and Brian Jacques. These two are tied and I chose them both for the exact same reason. The Tortall and Redwall books are the reason I read as a kid and I still love all those books to death. The worlds and characters in each are amazing and always felt 100% lifelike. I’d love to sit down with these two and discuss their work. It kills me that there will never be a new Brian Jacques book.

44. Emily S. Jan 16 2012 at 6:18 pm #

Legend sounds so fantastic, and I love the character names! <3

Three authors:

1. J.K. Rowling – So unorginal, but OH MY GOODNESS would I have fun. It would definitely be a night filled with talk about the marauders, specifically James Potter and how much I love him. 😛
    2. Rick Riordan – I love Greek and Roman Mythology so it would be awesome to know about all the research he did for his books.
    3. C.S. Lewis – The Chronicles of Narnia are some of my favorites. The world that was created is just beautiful and I'd love being able to talk about it.

45. Marina Jan 16 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Everyone is saying J.K.Rowling, so I refuse to.

One I’d like to talk to one or two writers of the New Testament, specifically Mark or Peter. BECAUSE HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE?
    Two: Tamora Pierce. Because she’s awesome.
    Three: maybe Jane Austen or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Shakespeare.

46. Sarah Frances Hardy Jan 16 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Legend is an AMAZING book! I’m ready for the next one . . .

sf

47. Emily Brill-Holland Jan 17 2012 at 1:26 am #

I just have to include Shakespeare. Shakespeare because he’s a dead genius, Neil Gaiman because he’s a live genius and…… Maureen Johnson because she’s CAHRAZY-AWESOME and I think Shakespeare would be intrigued. Jars and Twitter? Shakespeare would either examine the alcohol content of our drinks or start downing his due to a mistaken belief he could catch up.
    Em

48. Jayjay Atanacio Jan 17 2012 at 4:57 am #

I would go for…

Cassandra Clare
    Amy Plum
    Stephanie Meyer

I actually can’t choose but I picked them because I love their books and I really want to hang out with them and just talk about their books 🙂 I love Jace… specially Vincent from Die for Me and… Edward? really? oh wells haha 😛

49. Alyssa Jan 17 2012 at 9:35 am #

Hi, Marie! LEGEND sounds incredible! I’m always up for awesome new sci-fi/dystopian fiction. 🙂

3 authors I would hang out at the pub with:

1. J.R.R. Tolkien. The Hobbit was my absolute favorite book as a kid, and it led to a lifelong love of all things Middle Earth. I would love to ask him about his process of creating languages and hear him speak Elvish.

2. J.K. Rowling. Alongside Middle Earth, I grew up with the Wizarding World as well. I would love to chat with her about her characters’ lives after the events of the Harry Potter series, find out what kind of coffee she likes and talk about our favorite books.

3. Neil Gaiman. Probably my all-time favorite author and such an interesting, unique individual. There is SO MUCH I would want to talk about with him, I wouldn’t even know where to begin!

50. Gina Rinelli Jan 17 2012 at 9:48 am #

Welcome, Marie! Legend sounds awesome!

1. Melissa Marr. She spoke at my local Barnes and Noble, and aside from being one of the coolest people ever, that visit was what really got me started in my writing. Having read her books and then putting a face to the author, plus hearing her talk about how the books grew for her, was really amazing.

2. Andrew Davidson, because he wrote my favorite book of all time, The Gargoyle.

3. and for the third, there are too many! A Pub Crawl pub tour? =]

51. Laura E. Wardle Jan 17 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Welcome to Pub Crawl, Marie Lu! (You have a BEAUTIFUL full name, by the way.) So happy to see you joining these wonderful girls! And can I just say, LEGEND sounds freaking amazing! *adds on Goodreads*

Okay, so to answer the question:

1. J.K. Rowling. Because, the stark truth is, if it wasn’t for her brainchild–Harry Potter, obviously–then I wouldn’t be the woman I am today. Becoming a Potterhead was the catalyst for the biggest change in my life. It made me a reader. I now read English at university, work as a library assistant, aspire to be a novelist (though my genre is women’s fiction), and pretty much live and breathe books. Yes, Harry Potter is my life.

2. William Shakespeare, although he’s technically a playwright and poet. A friend once informed me that if the literary genius wasn’t six-feet under, I’d be a “Shakespeare groupie”. Yes, I’m a whore for Shakespeare. Enough said.

3. Sammy Bina. She’s cool and hilarious and spunky. And so smart! She’s also my critique partner. Can’t wait until the day I can afford a plane ticket to NY and we can swoon over her male protagonist, Ryan, over coffee and cupcakes. (If she’ll have me, that is.)

52. Yahong Jan 17 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Ohhhh, Legend was an amazing read for me, and to hear that Marie Lu is joining Pub Crawl is kind of like fate. Or destiny. Or kismet. Or maybe-I-should-stop-talking-about-stuff-I-don’t-know… 😛

Okay, let’s do this:

1. J K Rowling. Okay, so I know she’s in high demand (she’s been listed already, what, thirty times?) but, like, Harry Potter, man. Nothing more needs to be said.

2. Antony John, because he wrote Five Flavors of Dumb and let me tell you: that is the best. contemporary. ever. Pink hair, a deaf protag and rock n roll. <3 <3 <3

3. Megan Crewe, the author of the only paranormal YA I actually love: Give Up The Ghost. Perfect ending, plus awesome female and male lead. More hearts!: <3 <3

53. Silent_pages Jan 17 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Great interview! I’ve heard a lot about Legend, and I’m excited to read it. 🙂

54. Michelle V. Jan 17 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Welcome Marie! Legend was a fantastic book.

My three authors would be Nora Roberts, JK Rowling, and Melina Marchetta. I think those three strong women would be able to teach me a lot about life.

55. Lexi L. Jan 17 2012 at 11:08 pm #

I’ve been wanting to read Legend for a while. Looks great 🙂

56. Jennifer Villanueva Jan 17 2012 at 11:10 pm #

Augusten Burroughs because we would get slutty drunk and end up in another state, Stefenie Meyer who would drink juice while I pound vodka. She is my favorite Mormon and is really funny. Sandra Cisneros because we both grew up in Chicago and are Latinas!

57. Small Review Jan 18 2012 at 12:22 am #

Yay for Marie Lu! I’d want to kiss Day, too! (*sigh* I guess I’m also old enough that I need to add the caveat “if I were the same age as him”) That Skiz fight scene was very cool. Such a great cast of characters. I cannot wait to read more about them.

Hm, three authors I’d want to spend an evening in a pub with… barring the fantastic authors here on Pub Crawl (but, honestly, that would be an AWESOME gathering), I think I’d invite Stephanie Dray, Sherwood Smith, and Merrie Haskell (and about fifty others, please!). Why? So I can pick their brains about their books and all of the characters I love. Each one of these ladies have such an amazing wealth of knowledge about SO many different things. Their blogs are all super impressive.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Jan 19 2012 at 7:08 am #

OMG! A Pub Crawl gathering would be the greatest thing EVER. We talk about that, actually. A LOT 😛

58. Chelsea Beam Jan 18 2012 at 2:40 am #

I’m a bit late to the game, but wowza. “Legend” sounds amazing! 😀
    I can only imagine how excited you must be to have finished it… way to go! 🙂
    Even if I don’t win the Giveaway, I’ll definitely be picking this one up! “Cat-and-mouse” situations are the BEST.

• Chelsea Beam Jan 18 2012 at 2:41 am #

Oh, and oops.
      Three authors I’d pub-it-up with are:

1) J.K. Rowling
      2) Stephenie Meyer
      3) Suzanne Collins

Then, I’d get them all liquored up and wait to see the resulting explosion as they argue with one another.
      Hehehehhee. XD

59. Jenelle R. Jan 18 2012 at 4:33 am #

Why haven’t I read Legend yet? Totally sounds great! 😀 And amen to the Suzanne Collins part!

• Jenelle R. Jan 18 2012 at 4:36 am #

Oh, just saw the question now. Uh, I’d pick Rachel Vincent, Julie Kagawa, and Meg Cabot! 😀

60. Atheena C. Jan 18 2012 at 9:31 am #

~Rachel Vincent!
    OMG. The Soul Screamers Series is just a must read! The plot is so awesome! You just can’t get enough of Tod<3 I so can't wait for the next book:)
    ~Meg Cabot!
    She's just amazing! Her book, Abandoned, was so great:) I love how it was related to mythology!:) The Mediator series was just so good! Jesse<3
    ~ J.K. Rowling!
    I've read the series and I was just sucked into the wizarding world:) Definitely breath-taking:)

61. Sarah S Jan 18 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Hi, Marie — your book sounds awesome! I’ll definitely need to check it out.

62. Trinity Jan 18 2012 at 4:26 pm #

3 nights hey?
    Okay Melina Marchetta, Cath Crowley, CS Lewis

63. Nell Jan 19 2012 at 1:47 pm #

I’d avoid a creeper by reading The fault in our stars by John Green! 🙂

64. Carina Olsen Jan 19 2012 at 2:31 pm #

I LOVED Legend. <3 And I love Marie! 😀 Thank you so much for this giveaway. <3 I would love to win a copy of it 🙂 Hmm. For the question.. Veronica Roth. Maggie Stiefvater. Beth Revis 😀 Maybe. I think (A) Hih ;D
    Love, Carina

• Carina Olsen Jan 19 2012 at 2:31 pm #

It would be those three because I love them. <3 And they have written some of my favorite books 🙂

65. Shanan Jan 19 2012 at 9:27 pm #

My three authors would be:
    1) Jane Austen. I have the biggest literary crush on Darcy and I would love to find out more about the person behind him. Who inspired him for her? But then I think ‘would Jane Austen go to a pub?’ I am not sure.
    2) Veronica Rossi. I met her at the Dark Days of Supernatural tour stop by my house (http://thebookaddictnet.blogspot.com/2012/01/book-addict-attends-dark-days-of.html), but now that I have read her book I want to talk to her about it. I have so many questions! I also would love to talk about art with her because I learned at the tour stop that she was a working artist before she started writing.
    3) Maria V. Snyder. Every book that I have read by her has absolutely sucked me into the worlds she creates. She has the ability to create characters that I care about even when I am not 100% sure they are to-be trusted. And even though I have read other books of hers–I know a big twist is coming that will reveal that I can trust someone that I have been unsure about the whole time. She always manages to surprise me. And I love that!

Shanan

66. Sonia Jan 19 2012 at 9:34 pm #

It’s always lovely to read Marie’s interview answers 🙂 I’m looking forward to hopefully hearing about that side project in the future!

Okay, so my top three:

1. J.K. Rowling (same reason!)
    2. Tamora Pierce (her worlds are so detailed and huge. I feel like I could learn a lot and have a ton of fun too)
    3. Kiersten White? (not completely sure about this last choice… it was the hardest!… but Kiersten is awesome and would probably make me laugh the whole time)

Thank you!

67. Melanie McCullough Jan 19 2012 at 10:35 pm #

J.K. Rowling because she’s brilliant!
    Lois Lowry because The Giver is the book that made me want to be a writer
    JRR Tolkien because The Lord of the Rings is beyond EPIC and I wish I could be as amazing.

68. April David Jan 19 2012 at 10:43 pm #

WOW! I so want this book! and Marie Lu is pretty!!!

Anyway, my choice of authors will be (because I love their books
    1. Jeri Smith-Ready – – I love love love Shade series and she is so nice and friendly and I’m sure I’m going to have lots of fun with her. Plus, I wanna talk with her about Logan and Zach whom I adored so much! =)
    2. Veronica Roth and 3. Cassandra Clare – because I love love love (too) their books and I so wanna meet them in person. =)

Thank you so much for this giveaway! Wait, I entered but I’m not sure if this is International. Well, anyway, I hope I win. =)

69. Brandi O. Jan 21 2012 at 4:22 am #

I can’t wait to read Legend!

Susan Beth Pfeffer- I want to pick her brain about the world she created. I cried like a baby in the first two books
    Chloe Neill- Someone who created the world of the Chicagoland Vampires has to cool
    Laini Taylor- She has pink hair how awsome is that? And Daughter of Smoke and Bone is so amazing. I can’t get enough of this beautifully different world.

70. Justine Jan 21 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Oh, my. Just three? I can’t throw a type of writer rave? Okay:

1. Laini Taylor: You just know she could party. We’d done wigs and much glitter.
    2. Melina Marchetta: I’d get her drunk and try to coax her into sharing all her secrets. THIS WOMAN KNOWS ABOUT A TALENT FOUNTAIN SOMEWHERE.
    3. John Green: You know you want to see him drunk-ramble.