Introducing a New, SURPRISE Member: Amie Kaufman!

Guys, we are so, so, so thrilled to introduce you to a new member. It was a sort of spur-of-the-moment decision—though one we all agreed on—and that decision was to welcome a new author to our ranks:

Amie Kaufman!

Amie Kaufman had the good fortune to be raised just one block from her local library, and took full advantage of that fact growing up. She and her sister spent their childhood summers re-creating their favorite books by camping in the back yard, mapping their neighborhood, climbing trees, stepping through magical doors and sailing the local seas. Raised in Australia and Ireland, she has kissed the Blarney stone six times, thoroughly cementing her gift of the gab. She now lives in Melbourne, Australia with her husband Brendan and her rescue dog, Jack. She still sails, and though she climbs fewer trees, she remains partial to investigating the occasional magical door. You can find her on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads or on her blog. Her debut novel, Wrecked (co-authored with Meagan Spooner) will be out from Disney-Hyperion in 2013.

Wrecked

Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen never should have met. She’s the socialite daughter of the richest man in the galaxy, and he’s a decorated soldier fighting back rebellions on newly terraformed planets. But when the vast luxury spaceliner they’re both traveling on crashes, they find themselves thrown together as the two sole survivors on an alien planet.

As they survive harsh conditions and dwindling supplies—not to mention each other—the two begin to uncover a mystery surrounding the abandoned planet that neither of them could have guessed.

The first in a trilogy, Wrecked sets into motion a series of timeless, standalone love stories that span galaxies—and are linked by their shared worlds and one mysterious enemy.

If you don’t know Amie, then let us tell you: she’s very talented, very hard-working, and quite possibly the nicest person on the face of the earth. Oh, and she’s Australian, so we’ve now got two kickbutt Aussies in our gang!

1. What was the biggest challenge in writing Wrecked?

I think most people expect it to have been collaborating, but my co-author Meg and I have been incredibly lucky in that respect—we slotted together seamlessly from day one. Wrecked just showed up like it was meant to be. But that doesn’t mean the writing was without its challenges, and numero uno was getting my butt in the chair. I mean, seriously, all that social media, and I made the mistake of starting a seven season How I Met Your Mother marathon while we were writing. The world is a big, distracting, shiny place when you’re trying to get down to business with your laptop!

2. Oh too true—distraction and shininess everywhere… Now tell us a little bit about your journey to publication.

I’ve played around with words for years, but it was only for NaNoWriMo 2009 that I decided to sit down and actually try and write a book. And hey, it worked! At the end of November I had a huuuuuge mess, but it was vaguely recognisable as a YA fantasy with a beginning, a middle and an end! (That was about all you could say for it.)

I didn’t start querying until 2011, and then everything happened in a whirlwind! I thought it was meant to take forever, so I sent out my first batch just before I went on holiday. I thought it would take my mind off things! One crazy week later I had half a dozen full requests, and a couple of weeks after that I was emailing back and forth and signing with my amazing agent Tracey, from my holiday in Madrid! After that, Meg and I settled down to finish up WRECKED. It went out on submission, and three weeks later sold at auction to Disney-Hyperion.

3. Ha! I (Sooz) also did all my agent-snagging over holiday! Funny world… Speaking of funny worlds, if you were transported to the sci-fi landscape in Wrecked, which scene would you most want to re-enact?

Wow, tricky! Wrecked is the story of a shipwreck, so I don’t think I’m giving much away when I say Lilac and Tarver have a pretty hard time of it! I’m pretty outdoorsy, but that place is tough. I’ll have to say that the opening scenes, on board the Icarus, would probably suit me best. That ship is luxury itself. That, or there’s this one time when Tarver takes his shirt off…

4. OOH, shirtless heroes? Yes please!! Now that Wrecked is nearing The End, what’s your next writing project?

Right now we’re finishing up revisions on Wrecked, and getting ready to plunge into book two, so that will take up most of my time. Our trilogy is comprised of three linked but standalone novels, so book two will see us introduced to two new protagonists. Right now we’re getting to know them by writing little vignettes, playing with new scenes, and generally delving into their lives. Although we each take primary responsibility for one character, we both need to know them inside and out.

5. Such a good point–coauthoring demands both authors know the characters well! I know you’re a very, VERY busy lady…so what’s a typical writing “day” (or hour… or spare second) look like for you?

I have a (very!) full time job that I love, so I’ve always had to make sacrifices to find my writing time. In first draft mode I write on the train to and from work (usually 800 – 1000 words a day, I type fast!) and I try and snatch a couple of hours about twice a week to just sit down and get to work. Sometimes that involves staying in when I’d love to go out, but it’s all about choices. I also grab spare minutes anywhere I can and scribble in a notebook, then transcribe later. When I’m revising I work every single day, and I’m pretty much in a cave. My amazing husband makes sure he throws food in through the study door every so often! I’m a creature to be feared first thing in the morning, so my best work definitely happens at night.

6. I’m definitely a fearful morning creature myself. 😉 Mix me a literary cocktail! What elements would you include in your ideal book?

Mix one part fantasy, one part action adventure and a dash of history. Add a hint of darkness, garnish with a handsome hero and stir with a kickass heroine. Serve in a champagne saucer in a faraway world. Let’s call it a Tall, Dark and Handsome.

7. Garnish of handsome hero?! LOVE IT. I need Tall, Dark and Handsome on my shelves now! Okay, final question: What would youname your literary pub?

Pint and Prejudice!

Eeeek! I love it—and I would definitely jam at the Pint and Prejudice. First rounds on me!

Now, to celebrate Amie’s new spot in our pub booth, we’re giving away a copy of an Australian YA novel—you choose from the list Amie has drawn up!

• Sabriel by Garth Nix
  • Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

All you have to do is leave a comment telling us YOUR favorite book by an Aussie author, and we’ll announce the winner next week! Plus, the contest is open internationally, so spread the word!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

92 Responses to Introducing a New, SURPRISE Member: Amie Kaufman!

1. Kat Zhang
    Kat Zhang Feb 28 2012 at 4:31 am #

Do I get the first comment??? 😀 😀 WELCOME, Amie!! We’re so excited to have you!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:11 am #

Yaaaaaaaaay! Thanks Kat! I’m beyond excited to be part of the team!

2. Laura Hughes Feb 28 2012 at 5:37 am #

Awesome, Amie! To be honest, I was actually surprised when you weren’t one of the new mystery members when the blog launched in January! Your writerly advice is fabulous, and your voice fits in so well here! One of my favourite books by an Australian author is Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:12 am #

Why thank you so much! I love all things Carmody — have you read SCATTERLINGS? It’s a stand-alone and one of my all time favourites. And rumour has it we’re actually going to see an end to the Obernewtyn series, so fingers crossed! I saw her speak when I was in high school, and she was so inspiring to an aspiring writer!

3. Christina Kit. Feb 28 2012 at 5:40 am #

Yay Amie:))

I love your photo with your dog!

I can totally relate to how you grew up, with the library and the neighborhood scavenger hunts – can’t wait for your book, it sounds awesome!

My fave Australian book is Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:13 am #

Thank you! He does love having his photo taken!

Melina Marchetta is amazing — I remember when LOOKING FOR ALIBRANDI came out. I was the same age as the protagonists, and it absolutely swept through Australia. I remember knowing even then that she was going to be huge internationally, and she certainly is now.

4. Pragya Feb 28 2012 at 6:21 am #

I loved Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:26 am #

Oh, all the Melina Marchetta love. So rightly earned, too. I remember being nervous when I picked up SAVING FRANCESCA — what if it didn’t live up to the awesomeness of her first novel? But of course it did, because she’s amazing.

5. Beth Feb 28 2012 at 6:34 am #

Hooray for Amie! You’re right — this couldn’t be happening to a nicer person.

My favorite book by an Aussie author will soon be Wrecked. Until then, I’d have to go with I Am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak. Loved that book!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:39 am #

Ha, thanks Beth! You’re an unfailingly awesome cheerleader! I’ve heard a lot about I AM THE MESSENGER but I haven’t actually read it. THE BOOK THIEF had me in tears on the train, which is about as good a recommendation as you’ll find. I’d better add his others to my list!

6. Julie
    Julie Feb 28 2012 at 6:54 am #

Welcome Amie!!! I’m so excited to have you here at Publishing Crawl!!! 🙂

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:59 am #

Thanks Julie! I’m excited to be in such esteemed company!

7. Katie Feb 28 2012 at 8:04 am #

New member – how fun! If Meg is a co-author, will she be joining too? I can’t imagine writing a whole book, but really, really can’t imagine writing one with another person. That’s just amazing! Thanks for the introduction 🙂

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Writing with another person is awesome! You’ve always got someone right there to brainstorm with you! Right now Meg’s busy juggling both this trilogy and her own solo work, so I’m the rep for Team Wrecked!

8. Sooz Feb 28 2012 at 8:06 am #

YIPPEE! HOORAY! AUSSIE-AWESOMENESS FTW!

Okay, that’s more than enough all-caps for one morning. I’m–obviously–really, really excited to have you join the Pub Crawl gang. There can honestly never be enough enthusiasm about books and writing, and you’ve got tons to add to our little blog!! <3 <3

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Thanks Sooz! I have never been accused of being short on enthusiasm! I am over the MOON to be here! <3<3

9. Meredith Feb 28 2012 at 8:09 am #

Welcome, Amie!! Your dog is adorable. 🙂

Favorite book by an Aussie author? Well, THE BOOK THIEF is my favorite book of all-time, not just by an Aussie, so there’s that. Also really liked JELLICOE ROAD. I only hope some day I’m lucky enough to be able to travel to Australia!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:12 pm #

Thank you! My dog thinks so too 😉

I hope you do get yourself down here. There’s a great group of Aussie writers and bloggers who’d love to show you around!

10. Von Peralta Feb 28 2012 at 8:32 am #

I have to agree to others who loved The Book Thief. I’m a boy and it’s unusual for me to be affected by a book. I literally cried.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:15 pm #

I cried too — on the train! A lady came up to check I was okay, ducked her head and saw the book cover, and just smiled and nodded. She got it. She’d cried too!

11. Erin Bowman
    Erin Bowman Feb 28 2012 at 8:49 am #

YAY AMIE!!!! So glad you are with us. I’m really pumped to learn all sorts of Aussie terms now. Oh, and to read WRECKED. That too 😉

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:15 pm #

So glad to be here! I will spread my Aussie slang far and wide!

12. Leonicka Valcius Feb 28 2012 at 9:04 am #

I loved Garth Nix’s Keys to the Kingdom series because my younger brother and I read them together! It was one of the few times he got excited about reading 🙂 Welcome Amie!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Oh, I LOVED those books! I saw Garth Nix do a reading here in a local bookstore and we chatted to him about them afterwards. He’s amazing. My friend went all fangirl giggly! (I tried for stoic and mostly failed.)

13. Yahong Feb 28 2012 at 9:10 am #

You had me from “…when Tarver takes his shirt off…” 😀 But seriously, Wrecked sounds absolutely killer. I think you can tell a good book from its logline, and I’m thinking The Titanic meets Across the Universe is a pretty impressive logline! 🙂

As for the question — MARKUS ZUSAK. MARKUS ZUSAK. MARKUS ZUSAK. That is all. OH! And I adore Jack Heath’s futuristic thrillers, too. 😀

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Hee! I write Tarver and Meg writes Lilac (though of course it’s more complicated than that), but hey, even I can admire outstanding shirtlessness, whether I wrote it or not. That boy is HANDSOME.

14. Teresa Feb 28 2012 at 9:52 am #

Actually one of my favorite books by an Aussie is one you’re giving away – The Book Thief! That book kind of changed my life and gave me a HUGE kick in the butt in terms of writing. We studied it in a book club and wow… I was just amazed the entire time. That book was stunningly beautiful.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Stunning is exactly the word. Everybody has those books — the ones that make you look at your writing in a whole new way. I can absolutely believe THE BOOK THIEF was yours!

15. Hannah F-S Feb 28 2012 at 11:00 am #

I really like The Book Thief and I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. Honestly I’m not really sure what other books I’ve read by Australians.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:27 pm #

I am sensing a future post — I think I’m going to have to get some love out there for a heap of the AMAZING Aussie books we have going around!

16. Vivien Feb 28 2012 at 11:07 am #

Welcome!!! Thanks for joining the party 😀 It’s always a great day when we get a new member. Also, I think Australian books need MORE marketing stateside. We rarely get Aussie books.

• Vivien Feb 28 2012 at 11:15 am #

Also, I love anything by Melina Marchetta

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:28 pm #

Totally with you on the marketing, and I’m going to be the one to do it! (Ha, yes, to ALL of you.)

17. Crystal Schubert Feb 28 2012 at 11:24 am #

WRECKED looks like a really fun read! I love the idea of a trilogy where we get different love stories each time.

My favorite Austrailian book is nearly a tie between THE BOOK THIEF and JELLICOE ROAD–but I think Marchetta wins by a hair. THE BOOK THIEF was touching and creative, but JELLICOE ROAD just blew me away.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Thank you! We hope everybody loves the idea, or we’re going to have a lot of spare copies on our hands! Both great picks, and so hard to compare!

18. Vanessa Di Gregorio
    Vanessa Di Gregorio Feb 28 2012 at 11:28 am #

WOOHOO! I’m so glad you’re a part of the gang, Amie! 😀 Welcome welcome welcome!!!!!!!!! (Also – don’t know if I told you before or not, but WRECKED sounds AWESOME!)

SABRIEL by Garth Nix & FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK by Melina Marchetta are tied for my fave Aussie author books! (In fact, those two are among my fave books OF ALL TIME!)

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:30 pm #

Yay! Thanks for inviting me on board! You have excellent taste, my friend. Glad to see some SABRIEL love. That book just blew me away!

19. Kelly Mills Feb 28 2012 at 12:24 pm #

My favorite written by an Australian is The Hunted by Kristy Berridge!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Way to stand out from the crowd, Kelly! And great choice!

20. Susan Feb 28 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Oh goodness, I don’t pay enough attention as to where the authors of novels are coming from. :/ But a book that I did adore that I know is by an Australian-based author AND takes place in Australia is Stolen by Lucy Christopher. It’s actually hard to say that I loved the book, because the subject of the book was so awful. But while it was horrible, it was so engrossing at the same time – I had a hard time putting it down!

I must say, your book sounds lovely! I can’t wait to read it! And welcome to Pub Crawl – I look forward to reading more from you!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Oh, STOLEN. that book is scaaaaaaaary. And you’re right, it feels wrong to squeal and say ‘I loved it!’, but I think you can definitely say it engrossed you.

21. Sarah J. Maas
    Sarah J. Maas Feb 28 2012 at 12:51 pm #

YAYYYYYY, AMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m totally agreeing with Vanessa–SABRIEL and FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK are my favorite Aussie books! <3

SO, SO excited to have you in Pub Crawl!!! WOOOT!!!!!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:09 pm #

I knew you’d have some Nix love for me! SO, SO excited to be here! Double wooooot!

22. Cortney Feb 28 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Excellent taste!

23. Bri L. Feb 28 2012 at 12:55 pm #

WRECKED sounds great! I’m just sad I have to wait until 2013 🙁 Another entry on my “TO BE READ, BUT NOT RIGHT NOW, YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL 2013” list, which is growing at an astonishing pace considering we haven’t even hit March of 2012. My favorite book by an Australian author would be THE YEAR OF SECRET ASSIGNMENTS by Jaclyn Moriarty. She unravels her stories in the coolest ways, especially since they are told in correspondence, school papers, and personal entries. I must say I also adore Melina Marchetta’s books, having just reread SAVING FRANCESCA and read THE PIPER’S SON.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:12 pm #

I’m sad you have to wait too! 2013 seems ages away! I totally recommend WHAT ALICE FORGOT by Jaclyn’s sister, Laine Moriarty.

24. Emma Pass Feb 28 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Congratulations, Amie! This is an awesome blog, and I really look forward to reading your posts. As for my favourite Aussie YA author… I guess it has to be SECRET SCRIBBLED NOTEBOOKS by Joanne Horniman. The writing is just exquisite.

• Emma Pass Feb 28 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Doh, I meant favourite Aussie YA *book*, of course! :op

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Of course, because *I* am your favourite Aussie YA *author*, right? Go Team Hound!

25. Alexa Feb 28 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Loved your answers Amie and I’d love to hang out at Pint and Prejudice! This is a great blog, I’m looking forward to visiting here often.

Favourite aussie book will always be SAVING FRANCESCA by Melina Marchetta, but I also love all of Jaclyn Moriarty’s books and I am half way through Graffitti Moon by Cath Crowley – which is amazing.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:35 pm #

Oh, we would totally drink TOGETHER at Pint and Prejudice! So glad you came to visit — do stick around, you’l fit right in!

You’ve put me onto some fantastic Aussie books, including WHAT ALICE FORGOT, which I recommended earlier in the thread. Fabulous taste, always!

26. Jess Feb 28 2012 at 3:23 pm #

I’m not entering, because I already have all the books, and would love for someone else to have the chance to read those great Aussie books.
    Anyways, welcome, Aime! It’s awesome to see an Aussie writer make it! I look forward to seeing your book on the shelves. 🙂

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:36 pm #

If you have them all, you clearly know some Aussie quality when you see it! Thanks for the welcome!

27. Tim Feb 28 2012 at 3:38 pm #

Ahhhhhhhh it has to Sabrial, or maybe the The MAgicians Guild. I’m pretty sure Trudi Canavan is Australian…or maybe i’m mixing up with Joanne Harris. Oh well, Welcome!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:57 pm #

Trudi Canavan is indeed Australian! All great picks!

28. Kristilyn (Reading i Feb 28 2012 at 3:44 pm #

I really haven’t read any Australian authors, so far as I know, though I do have The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak and can’t wait to read it!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 7:25 pm #

You’ll love it! And I bet you have – a lot of people don’t realise how many there are out there! I’m going to have to plan a feature on this! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

29. Nick Feb 28 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Hey! Congratulations Amie on joining such a prestigious group!

My favourites book by an Aussie author (aside from Wrecked, of course) is Jennifer Government by Max Barry. Rampant and unchecked consumerism is bad!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Ha! Thanks for dropping by <3 Somehow not surprised by your choice, but I'm going to drag you into more Aussie SFF!

30. Marthapao Feb 28 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Wrecked sounds awesome! I honestly have no idea what books I’ve read by Aussie authors. I’ve read a lot of books and don’t usually pay attention to where the authors are from, I’m even surprised to sometimes find out when a fave author lives in my area.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 7:26 pm #

I’m the same sometimes! There are definitely authors that I’ve loved and haven’t actually realised are Australian until I went looking for more info on where to find more books!

31. Lexie B. Feb 28 2012 at 3:52 pm #

Ahhh! Congrats, Amie! I really, really, really love the sound of Wrecked. (should I add another “really” for emphasis?) My favorite novel by an Aussie author would have to be The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. It is, quite simply, the best book I have ever read. It’s one of those books that I can’t even praise without feeling like I’m doing it an injustice with my description.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Oh, hey, add as many ‘really’s as you like, I won’t complain! THE BOOK THIEF is incredible — I’m not at all surprised it’s getting so much love!

32. Sophia Chang Feb 28 2012 at 3:54 pm #

I Am the Messenger by Mark Zusak. I couldn’t stop reading it on my lunch breaks at work.

CONGRATULATIONS! Wrecked sounds awesome!

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 9:02 pm #

I know, right? Or on the train, or while stirring dinner, or really anywhere?

33. Jemi Fraser Feb 28 2012 at 5:03 pm #

Great blog & great interview! I’m glad I popped on over from Amie’s place! I’m looking forward to future posts!

Maybe it’s cheating, but I love Garth Nix – Sabriel is such a great story! Probably my fave 🙂

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Thanks for visiting, Jemi! Glad you made it over. I think SABRIEL’s amazing, it’s why I picked it!

34. elena Feb 28 2012 at 5:58 pm #

This is embarrassing that I don’t have a favourite Australian author because I don’t think I’ve ever actually read one! I’m kind of surprise, I must rectify that.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Hopefully you’ll win a copy of a book by one! If not, these are all GREAT places to start!

35. Petra Feb 28 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Great interview! Looking forward to Wrecked. I added it on Goodreads a while ago.

I’m only certain of one book I’ve read by a Aussie author, Embrace by Jessica Shirvington, but there are probably more and I just didn’t realize.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Wow, thank you for adding it! That still trips me out!

36. Marina Feb 28 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Welcome!! My favorite is Finnikin of the Rock. One of the best books I’ve ever read.

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 10:38 pm #

Thanks! Lots and lots of Melina Marchetta love going on here!

37. Zara Alexis Feb 28 2012 at 9:45 pm #

Every Move You Make by David Malouf, a wonderful collection of stories!

Thanks,
    Zara D. Garcia-Alvarez
    Email: zgarcia(dot)alvarez(at)gmail(dot)com
    On Twitter: @ZaraAlexis

Amie Feb 28 2012 at 10:38 pm #

Oh, Malouf, extra points for you! If you haven’t read JOHNNO I highly recommend it… but everything he writes is amazing.

38. Lynda R Young Feb 29 2012 at 1:46 am #

congrats to Amie!!
    I’ve loved Garth Nix’s books. I’ve also enjoyed Isobelle Carmody.

Amie Feb 29 2012 at 5:44 am #

Hey, thanks for popping over, Lynda! Team Aussie!

39. Sarah Meral Feb 29 2012 at 2:50 am #

I loved Tomorrow, when the war began. But I only read it in German so I would love to win the book to read it in English :-).

Thanks for the giveaway!

Amie Feb 29 2012 at 5:42 am #

Wow, in German? I don’t think my German would quite stand up to that, so I admire you for being able to read it in two languages!

• Sarah Meral Mar 7 2012 at 4:00 am #

Hey Amy, I´m German :-). But I´m reading in two languages, I read much in English.

40. A.J. Feb 29 2012 at 9:20 am #

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta! <3 I love all her novels. 🙂

Amie Mar 1 2012 at 4:13 am #

Absolutely! And the great thing about falling in love with one is that it leads you to the others.

41. Jessica T. Feb 29 2012 at 7:29 pm #

I actually haven’t read too many books by Aussie authors. I do have a ton on my wishlist that I want to read eventually, though! Of the books I have read, I’ve pretty much loved all of them. But I think my favorite is Eon by Alison Goodman. 🙂

Amie Mar 1 2012 at 4:14 am #

She lives in the next suburb to me! I’m surprised she hasn’t had more mentions in this thread — but I suspect lots of people don’t know she’s an Aussie. Great pick!

42. April X Mar 3 2012 at 12:50 pm #

I LOVED The Book Thief! 😀 Did not know he was from Australia! I must read more books by Aussie authors 🙂

Amie Mar 6 2012 at 6:14 am #

Haha, we are full of surprises!

43. kati w. Mar 4 2012 at 4:44 pm #

The only book I’ve read that I know is by an Aussie author is WORLDSHAKER. But it’s amazing, so I’ll go with that. 🙂

Amie Mar 6 2012 at 6:15 am #

EXCELLENT pick, my friend!