Coverlust: Shadow & Bone, The Snow Child, & Bitterblue

I don’t know about you, but I find myself spending quite a bit of time oohing and ahhing over many a gorgeous book cover! But, there is something about just keeping that to yourself that leaves one feeling unfulfilled. Because what fun is oohing and ahhing if there aren’t others doing the same with you, right?

So here are some covers I am seriously lusting over right now. Hopefully, you’ll end up having the same drool-inducing and envy-fueled feelings I have—along with uncontrollable bouts of excitement!

First up is our very own Leigh Bardugo, and her cover for Shadow & Bone!

Since we haven’t given it any loving here since the cover was revealed, and since I think it is seriously one of the most gorgeous covers I’ve ever seen (and perfect for the book!), I figured it should be the first cover we all drool over. Ready, set…

… DROOL. Gorgeous, right? Having read Shadow & Bone, I think they absolutely NAILED this cover. You immediately have an idea of the culture and world for the book (kvas, anyone?) and the colours are so so SO perfect. I don’t even want to get into the little details for why I love this cover (I refuse to spoil a single thing!)—but let’s just say that the cover matches the title in every way. UGH. I’m just SO IN LOVE. It’s almost disgusting how much I adore Leigh’s cover. Have your eyes finished drinking in the gorgeousness of this cover? No. They haven’t. Cause they never will. You will ALWAYS want to look at it!

As hard as it is to move on, I feel that we must—because there are some other fantastic covers. Next up is a cover with a similar colour palette (but reversed and minus the red), where white & light grey are the dominant colours and the dark greys and blacks are much more subdued. Behold the ridiculously pretty cover of The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

The first time I saw the cover for The Snow Child, I wanted to buy it. Without even knowing anything about it, my hands just reached for it and thought, my precious. Well, okay, not really. But I did reach for it and think something close to that! I just knew that whatever lay inside those pages had to be as lovely and mysterious as the cover. And after reading the synopsis, my desire for this book grew. Oh, and can I also point out the author’s kick-ass name? Eowyn. That just adds so much awesome.

And another cover that just has me watering at the mouth? Like, foaming and panting and all of that? Bitterblue, of course! Well, I suppose the main reason seeing this cover excites me is because I’m a HUGE fan of Cashore’s Graveling and Fire (and I do mean HUGE). Those books are some of my all-time faves, and I feel like I’ve been waiting for Bitterblue for ages! And being the third book in The Seven Kingdoms, I was hoping it would get a similarly fantastic cover—and it did!

I adore how this cover is very different from most YA covers, and that it has a similar feel to the other two books. And the BLUE! Just so stunning and eye-catching! This cover also gets me wondering as to what the keys symbolize (and I love when covers do that). And I like how you can just make out her eye at the center of the key ring—every time I look at this cover, my eye is immediately drawn right there. Honestly, May can’t come quick enough!

So, what do you think about these covers? Are there any books that you have serious cover lust over?

25 Responses to Coverlust: Shadow & Bone, The Snow Child, & Bitterblue

1. Amie
    Amie Mar 1 2012 at 4:47 am #

Man, these are GORGEOUS. SHADOW AND BONE just makes me go all tingly with anticipation when I look at it. I’m giddy about getting to read it!

THE SNOW CHILD reminds me of the style of the cover of THE INCORRIGIBLE CHILDREN OF ASHTON PLACE by Maryrose Wood, and my hands just reached out all on their own to pick that book up. The style just grabbed me.

BITTERBLUE is so beautiful, and distinctive, which makes such a difference — I love it without having read the book, and what’s cool is that I’m told that once you’ve read the book, you love it even more.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 1 2012 at 8:53 am #

Oooh! I remember the cover for THE INCORRIGIBLE CHILDREN OF ASHTON PLACE! I did really like that style – and you’re right, it’s very similar. Though I’ve yet to actually read it… it certainly is on my TBR pile! 🙂

2. Julie
    Julie Mar 1 2012 at 6:45 am #

Great choices, V! Each unique and special. 🙂

3. Katie Mar 1 2012 at 6:53 am #

Woooow – that Snow Child cover is gorgeous! I’d like to frame it and hang it on my wall! Thanks for showing these 3 off 🙂

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 1 2012 at 8:49 am #

I know, right? It’s so simple, and yet it evokes so many things and is just absolutely LOVELY! Glad you liked it as much as me! 😀

4. Sooz Mar 1 2012 at 8:51 am #

Oooh, they’re all so pretty… I especially love SHADOW & BONE and THE SNOW CHILD. I agree with Katie–it belongs on my wall!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 1 2012 at 5:06 pm #

I would LOVE to frame my fave book covers and have them hanging on a wall – I think that would be so epic and pretty and awesome!

5. Erin Bowman
    Erin Bowman Mar 1 2012 at 10:08 am #

I love the flat, collage-like feel of SNOW CHILD. And the tones. It’s gorgeous. And we all already know how much I adore Leigh’s cover.

BITTERBLUE is also lovely, but I think my favorite thing about it is how well it plays off the other two books. Cashore’s novels are just gorgeous next to each other. Those bold, primary colors. The face/eyes faded into the background. The weapon in the forefront (yes, I’m saying the keys can be B’s weapon). And the textures. So much to love.

Great post, V!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 1 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Thanks Erin!

I love love love the textures in BITTERBLUE’s cover, too! And I agree – all three books look lovely next to one another.

6. Kat Zhang
    Kat Zhang Mar 1 2012 at 11:17 am #

You know, despite ALL the times I’ve seen BITTERBLUE’s cover, this is the first time I’ve noticed that it’s NOT just the one eye–there’s a whole face on the cover, including her other eye! failself, lol.

And yesss, pretty SHADOW & BONE cover is pretty!! 😀 The THE SNOW CHILD one is lovely, too.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 1 2012 at 5:09 pm #

I only noticed the entire face on the BITTERBLUE cover once I starting writing this post – but before that, I had seen the cover PLENTY of times and hadn’t noticed! But after seeing it once, you can’t help but notice it every single time!

7. Michelle V. Mar 1 2012 at 1:53 pm #

The Shadow & Bone cover is so gorgeous! It’s so eye-catching and my design brain is geeking out over it. I just noticed the whole face on the cover. Wow, how did I miss that before?

Great post!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 1 2012 at 5:10 pm #

YES! Isn’t Shadow & Bone just so pretty? My design-brain was geeking out, too ;p

8. Sarah J. Maas
    Sarah J. Maas Mar 1 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Aghhh, so much prettiness contained in one post!! *strokes computer screen*

9. Leigh Bardugo
    Leigh Bardugo Mar 1 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Wow, thank you for the shout, V! I’m so glad you liked the cover. And yes, kvas for everyone 😀

The Snow Child is just beautiful. And don’t feel too bad, Kat. I never notice there was any face on Bitterblue at all. Oh the shame!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 1 2012 at 5:13 pm #

How could I make a cover lust post WITHOUT Shadow & Bone, Leigh? 😉 And I more than just like the cover – I LOVE it! 😀

10. Jess Mar 1 2012 at 7:45 pm #

I don’t particularly like the cover for Bitterblue, but I do like the other cover (UK/AUS, I think?) http://wingedreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Bitterblue.jpg

but all the other covers are perfect! I almost bought Snow Child because of the cover, but it was far too expensive for me. :C

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 2 2012 at 4:13 pm #

I’ve always liked the UK covers for all of Cashore’s novels – they do such a great job as well! That one matches the ones they did for GRACELING and FIRE, which I really really loved! Also – it makes Bitterblue look BADASS!

11. Kaye M. Mar 1 2012 at 9:12 pm #

I ADORE Leigh Bardugo’s cover.

I need to print it out and, like, paste it to my wall until I can buy the finished copy.

Also, I’ve been seeing The Snow Child’s cover around on Goodreads, and I have no idea why I haven’t read it yet because it looks totally gorgeous.

Other covers I love that perfectly fit their stories: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (I think someone mentioned that already), The Night Circus, and any of the leather-bound classics from Barnes and Nobles. Seriously.

• Kaye M. Mar 1 2012 at 9:25 pm #

Oh! And Wildwood by Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
        Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 2 2012 at 4:15 pm #

YES! Wildwood has SUCH a pretty cover! That’s another cover I would LOVE to just have framed on a wall somewhere in my house! 🙂

12. Jon Mar 2 2012 at 7:39 am #

Geezes, these Snow Child and Shadow & Bone are amazing. I want these as posters, much less just books. I hope this is where YA covers are going!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 2 2012 at 4:17 pm #

The Snow Child is an adult book, but it definitely has an almost whimsical, slightly dark, but absolutely STUNNING cover! And YES, Shadow & Bone is FANTASTIC! I’m hoping YA covers move in that direction as well!