What We’re Reading

The weekend is here! Which, for a lot of people, means READING! And in case you were wondering what books we currently have our noses in, here they are:

Susan Dennard is re-reading Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

Erin Bowman is reading Shadow & Bone by our very own Leigh Bardugo

Sarah J. Maas is reading The Shadow Queen by Anne Bishop

Kat Zhang just finished A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin, and is starting Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

Rachel Seigel is reading Above by Leah Bobbet

Mandy Hubbard is reading Touched by Cyn Balog

Vanessa Di Gregorio is reading The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Amie Kaufman is reading London 100 Years Ago: The Charm of Victorian London Illustrated

Leigh Bardugo is reading Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Marie Lu is reading Something Strange & Deadly by our very own Sooz and The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Jodi Meadows is reading Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Vahini is reading Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Julie Eshbaugh is reading The Butterfly Clues by Kate Ellison

Have you read any of the books we’re currently reading? Or are you reading something AWESOME right now? Let us know!

29 Responses to What We’re Reading

1. Julie
    Julie Mar 23 2012 at 6:10 am #

What a great list! (I’m embarrassed by the fact I’ve never read some of the classics listed here, but I’m really loving THE BUTTERFLY CLUES!)

• Sooz Mar 24 2012 at 12:16 am #

Me neither, Julie!! I haven’t read those classics either… :-/ OOPS!

2. Tim Mar 23 2012 at 9:38 am #

Oh, I keep meaning to read Howl’s Moving Castle. But I keep getting distracted by other books, and I may save my money in Paypal for a giveaway:P
    Wow the book Shadowqueen looks kind of kickass. Hmmm, anybody else think the cover looks a bit like the actress playing Cersei Lannister?
    Yeah Touched looks pretty cool as well, actually very, very cool. It looks like something out of a John Connolly book
    And I have definetly herad of Finikin of the ROck(not entirely sure if its called that) and it’s meant to be bril.
    Oh, and I may or may not have cackled when I read that someone finished a Storm Of Swords. It’s very hard not to express my feelings about that book without spoiling:P But did anyway one else find a rainy, feverish hound so depressing? God, almost as bad as the werewolf.

• Sooz Mar 24 2012 at 12:08 am #

READ HOWLS!!! IT’S AMAAAAZING! 😉

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 30 2012 at 11:00 am #

Read FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK! It’s AMAZING! And BRILLIANT! And and and…. just read it!

3. Erica O'Rourke Mar 23 2012 at 9:53 am #

I love this list — so many wonderful titles!!! We’re having a movie-night birthday party for the oldest girl tomorrow, and what movie did she choose? Howl’s Moving Castle! She would heartily approve of your choice, Sooz!

• Sooz Mar 24 2012 at 12:09 am #

Huzzah! Your eldest is a smart, smart girl. I heartily approve of HER choice! 😀

4. Hannah Mar 23 2012 at 11:18 am #

I love The Thief! It is one of my favorite book of all time. I definitely just did a re-read this past weekend!

• Sooz Mar 24 2012 at 12:09 am #

Ack! I KEEP meaning to pick this up. I swear, I’m moving it up in my TBR stack right now…

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 30 2012 at 11:01 am #

THE THIEF is one of my ALL-TIME FAVES! Seriously – I re-read that book every year!

5. April Tucholke Mar 23 2012 at 1:30 pm #

A Storm of Swords is my favorite Martin, hands down. Howl’s Moving Castle–good book, GREAT movie. Shadow and Bone = Russian kickbuttery brilliance (and the new book trailer kind of blew my mind.).

I’m reading Nix’s Sabriel, for the 5th time, Little House in the Big Woods, for the ? time, Witchlanders, am almost done with the superb Under the Never Sky, and am itching to start Red Seas Under Red Skies.

• Sooz Mar 24 2012 at 12:10 am #

SABRIEL. Oh…that series. Oh. My heart. I should’ve put that in my Coverlust post–darn!

6. Ellen Mar 23 2012 at 1:40 pm #

I’m reading three awesome books right now. Though I feel like I’ve come late to the party, I’m working my way through The Night Circus, re-reading The Gargoyle, and reading the second book in the Dante Valentine series, Dead Man Rising. I honestly couldn’t pick a favorite right now, and I’m switching between them practically every day.

• Sooz Mar 24 2012 at 12:13 am #

Ooooh, THE NIGHT CIRCUS. I’ve heard such mixed things about it. What do you think?

7. Kaye M. Mar 23 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Howl Pendragon = my fictional husband.

Thank you very much.

You guys all have AWESOME taste. I’ve read most of what’s displayed (excepting A Storm of Swords and the Anne Bishop book). I just finished the latest installment of the Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter – I seriously started tearing up, no lie – and I’m debating between When the Sea is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen or Rampant by Diana Peterfreund, or both. Also, I have an ARC of Timepiece that’s calling my name.

Decisions, decisions. 🙁

• Sooz Mar 24 2012 at 12:11 am #

YOU CAN’T HAVE HIM! HE’S MIIIINE!!!

8. Krispy Mar 23 2012 at 2:37 pm #

What amazing reads! So jealous of the people reading SHADOW & BONE and BITTERBLUE! Haha. I’m currently reading SPELLBOUND (Hex Hall #3) and loving it. It’s so very fun.

And I just have to mention I LOVE Howl’s Moving Castle. That is an excellent read!

• Sooz Mar 24 2012 at 12:11 am #

SPELL BOUND! I’m reading that too! Sophie’s snark is just so…so priceless!!

9. Leslie Mar 23 2012 at 8:56 pm #

What a great list! I’m sad to say I’ve only read 1 out of the list (“A Storm of Swords” by George R. R. Martin”
    But I’ll definitely check out some of the ones you all are reading 😀

• Sooz Mar 24 2012 at 12:13 am #

You must read HOWL’S!! (Though I’m partial since…I love it. ;))

10. Erica Mar 24 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Wow! Howl’s Moving Castle and The Thief were some of my favorite books growing up! This is a great list!

• Sooz Mar 25 2012 at 11:14 am #

Ack, again THE THIEF! I must read this book. I am going to the library today. PERIOD.

11. Brandi Ziegler Mar 25 2012 at 1:31 am #

I’m currently reading FROI OF THE EXILES after gobbling up STARTERS. Both are AMAZING! Jodi, you MUST read Marchetta’s sequal after finishing FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK. Happy reading, Ladies!

• Sooz Mar 25 2012 at 11:23 am #

FINNIKIN–that’s another one I keep meaning to pick up. I assume by your praise that FROI is just as amazing?

• Brandi Ziegler Mar 31 2012 at 3:18 am #

I loved it, Susan! Though I was in denial about being at the end. “No…? No! I have to wait?! Ugh!” Guess there’s no denying the chapter title “Epilogue” lol.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 30 2012 at 11:08 am #

AHHHH! I still haven’t picked up FROI! (I know, I know – FOR SHAME!)

I can’t wait to start reading it! Perhaps I’ll bring it with me to the Bahamas next week :p

12. Meredith Anderson Mar 26 2012 at 9:36 pm #

FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK!!!

*faints*

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Mar 30 2012 at 11:09 am #

I always have trouble breathing when I think of that book – it’s just THAT good! Oh, Finnikin…. <3