Question of the Month: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin?

Welcome to Question of the Month, where one question is asked to the entire Pub Crawl group 🙂 This month’s question is:

If your main character(s) were wizards and witches in the Harry Potter world, what House(s) would they be sorted into?

Here are our answers!

Kat Zhang

Kat SquareLet’s see. My main characters are Eva and Addie, and since they share a body and all, it would be quite difficult to sort them into different houses! But their personalities are quite different, so I guess Hogwarts would have to figure it out… (they’ve dealt with ghosts and centaurs and mermaids…I’m sure they can handle a girl with two souls!)

Eva would be a Hufflepuff, I think, haha. Poor left-out Hufflepuffs. My idea of their house is probably more fan-formed than canon (all I can think about right now is “HUFFLEPUFFS ARE GOOD FINDERS!”), but I always thought of them as being resilient and caring. They tend to put other people ahead of themselves, are very loyal, and are honest and friendly. That all describes Eva. Plus, she’s a pretty good finder ;P

Addie’s harder to place. In the end, though, I think I’d have to put her in Ravenclaw. She does have a great love for wit 🙂

Sarah J. Maas

Sarah_thumbnailI think it’d be a toss-up between Gryffindor and Slytherin for Celaena. She’s brave and DEFINITELY has a lot of nerve, and, despite being an assassin, genuinely cares for others. BUT she’s also cunning, resourceful, and a born leader (and more than a bit vain). She might find Gryffindor to be a little too goody-goody for her, but might be a bit too noble for Slytherin. If I HAD to pick, then she’d probably wind up in Gryffindor—and probably cause a hell of a lot of trouble. 😉

Susan Dennard

Susan DennardMy first reaction was, Eleanor is totally RAVENCLAW!

But then I thought about it and realized that no…I’m the one who’s Ravenclaw—not my heroine. Eleanor, I’ve decided, is a Gryffindor. Through and through, in fact. Brave? Check. Heroic? Check. Reckless? Absolutely. Arrogant? At times (particularly in book two, when she becomes something of a know-it-all). Plus, she’d look fabulous in the gold and red house colors. 😉

Erin Bowman

Erin BowmanWhile Gray definitely possesses a few Slytherin traits, I think he’s a classic Gryffindor: brave to the point of recklessness, willing to engage in questionable or pointless heroics, unable to adhere to the rules. (I’m pretty sure Snape would hate him with a fiery passion.) Gray’s brother, on the other hand, is a Hufflepuff through and through: loyal, patient, and fair. I think it’s a good thing the two didn’t go to Hogwarts. They don’t do well being separated from each other.

Jodi Meadows

Jodi Hi-Res SquareThis has taken me forever to figure out. I’m really not sure about Ana. I can see her being in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw because she’s brave and firmly believes in right and wrong, but she’s very into learning things, too.

Sam is Hufflepuff, no doubt. He’s very hard-working and patient and loyal.

Amie Kaufman

Amie-JackOutsiders would immediately pick Tarver for a Gryffindor—he’s brave, strong and daring, a decorated war hero. My co-author Meagan Spooner and I know better, though! To us, Tarver’s a Ravenclaw—the son of a poet and a poet himself, he’s more quietly intelligent and creative than most people give him credit for.

As for Lilac, well, outsiders would pick Lilac for a Slytherin, because she’s vain, concerned about social class (as close as we can get to blood purity in our world) and cunning as anything. The Sorting Hat sees what’s in your heart, though… we’d be giving away too much if we told you where she really belonged!

Marie Lu

Marie SquareDay (my main boy protagonist) is Legend‘s Most Wanted Criminal and a bit of a flirt on the side. He would totally be Gryffindor, through and through. He’s such a troublemaker—being an official criminal and all—but with a good heart, and he’s nothing if not bold. June (my main girl protagonist) is a prodigy detective and logical to a fault. She’s a Ravenclaw, although I can actually see hints of Slytherin in her since she does value ambition, cunning, and resourcefulness. She’d probably also get into a lot of arguments with Hermione.

Now we’re curious…where would your main character(s) be sorted if they attended Hogwarts?

And to finish off our Friday with a blast, there’s an amazing April giveaway of Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris! Check it out—the contest ends April 20th!

18 Responses to Question of the Month: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin?

1. Priya Apr 6 2012 at 6:49 am #

Totally Slytherin or Ravenclaw

• Marie Lu
      Marie Lu Apr 6 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Woot!

2. JJ
    JJ Apr 6 2012 at 9:41 am #

Well, I’m a total Ravenclaw (there’s no other option for me–I mean Ravenclaw is the nerd house–also, that’s where Pottermore put me). However, in the story I’m writing, my protagonist is totally a Slytherin, and her love interest is totally a Hufflepuff. 🙂

• Marie Lu
      Marie Lu Apr 6 2012 at 3:16 pm #

Yeah, you’re as about Ravenclaw as they get! Poor Hufflepuff boy <33

3. Kat Zhang
    Kat Zhang Apr 6 2012 at 11:24 am #

This QOTM was so fun to answer! 😀

• Marie Lu
      Marie Lu Apr 6 2012 at 3:16 pm #

Yay, glad you enjoyed it! 🙂

4. Dani Nguyen Apr 6 2012 at 1:20 pm #

I am 100% Ravenclaw, without a doubt. Fun question!

• Marie Lu
      Marie Lu Apr 6 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Glad you liked! Woot for Ravenclaw!

5. Jen McAndrews Apr 6 2012 at 1:38 pm #

oh. very fun! I have two characters — two teen boys — in my recent release Braving the Titanic. Simon would definitely be a Ravenclaw — very smart, values intelligence. I think Kade might be Gryffindor. But what I find funniest about this is I have another character (in Deadly Farce) who’s a bodyguard and somewhat tough and really irreverent and yet I realize she’s a total Hufflepuff. How interesting to look at the Hogwarts house assignments and see how they can highlight unexpected traits in or characters — or, that is, traits our characters may keep hidden. Love it!
    Off to write a Slytherin….

• Marie Lu
      Marie Lu Apr 6 2012 at 3:18 pm #

Yes, I also thought it was interesting how the question really helps to understand one’s characters! Also, I looove a good Slytherin. <3

6. Sarah J. Maas
    Sarah J. Maas Apr 6 2012 at 1:45 pm #

I <3 this QotM so hardcore.

• Marie Lu
      Marie Lu Apr 6 2012 at 3:18 pm #

:D!!

7. Samantha Wekstein Apr 6 2012 at 6:03 pm #

I FIND Kat’s response to be pretty awesome.

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang Apr 7 2012 at 4:33 am #

I find you pretty awesome for thinking so! 😉

8. Stephanie Allen Apr 6 2012 at 7:11 pm #

I think Calanthe would be a Gryffindor, even though she definitely wouldn’t agree with me. Vantandal would be a Slytherin. And Ethan would be a Hufflepuff.

9. Lexie B. Apr 6 2012 at 8:05 pm #

Ahhh! I love this. So much. 😀 I love seeing how this question made you seriously consider your characters’ basic traits. I loved seeing how you all perceived your characters, and especially how an outsider might view it differently than the creator.

As for my main characters . . . hmm. Leena would most likely be a Ravenclaw; she’s not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, not ambitious enough for Slytherin, and not friendly enough for Hufflepuff, but she’s plenty clever. Elsa, though . . . I’m not sure about her. On the one hand, I’d think Hufflepuff, because she loves her two companions more than anything, more than her entire world. But on the other hand, since she’s only ever known three humans, and meeting them was extremely jarring and extremely terrifying for her, it’s hard to say that she’s exactly FRIENDLY. Not ambitious–she has nothing to strive for. Brave enough. Clever enough. I’m just not sure.

• Marie Lu
      Marie Lu Apr 17 2012 at 8:40 pm #

It definitely does help solidify a character’s main personality traits! And I love your analysis of your characters!

10. Vivienne Jan 28 2013 at 11:24 pm #

My character, Morgana, is half Slytherin, half Gryffindor. She’s a sneaky, cunning girl who will defy everyone and isn’t afraid of breaking the rules. Heck, she’s proud of it! However, she’s kind of a bold, warlike Gryffindor; she takes up fencing and archery, and she will fight if provoked.

At the end of the day, I think she’s Gryffindor. How can a headstrong tomboy with a fierce attitude not be a Gryffindor?