Coverlust: Recent Discoveries

by

Kat Zhang

Hey everyone! Welcome to another Coverlust! :) I’ve got some really gorgeous covers for you guys today, most of which are recently released. Let me know which is your favorite and what covers you’ve recently come across that have stuck in your mind.

First up is ORIGIN by Jessica Khoury. I really love how simple yet powerful this cover is with the white outline cut into the luscious rainforest. Plus, it’s different from the average YA covers we’re seeing nowadays, and that’s always a neat bonus.

The title placement is awesome, as are the colors. This is definitely a cover to love! 😀

I really love the color scheme on the cover for Lisa Burstein’s PRETTY AMY, too. The baby blue of the model’s dress and the title stand in start contrast with the grittier stone (prison?) background. I’m a big fan of unique title treatments, so I adore how “Pretty Amy” looks like it’s in a “handwriting” font and is all chalk-y, as if graffitied onto the wall.

The wistful/contemplative look on the model’s face is great, too. It pulls me in and makes me wonder what her story is.

Finally, I just kind of love her dress 😉

The cover for SPLINTERED by A.G. Howard is so vibrant and awesome. I love the luscious colors, the rich reds and greens! Plus the model’s expression is so wonderful–a little bit creepy, very much intense. I love, love how the foliage is grabbing onto her hair. Flowers and insects play an important role in the book, so I’m glad to see them gracing the cover, as well!

SERAPHINA, by Rachel Hartman, has a cover that’s definitely different from the others I’ve included today–instead of bright colors, it’s gone for more of a monotoned graphite-drawing look. As someone who grew up seeing a lot more illustrated novels, though, I rather like it. It sets a nice tone for the story inside, I think. I haven’t actually read SERAPHINA yet, but this cover takes me right into medieval-esque setting and readies me for magic :)

What do you guys think? Any covers you’ve been lusting after recently?

Kat Zhang loves traveling to places both real and fictional–the former allows for better souvenirs, but the latter allows for dragons, so it’s a tough pick. WHAT’S LEFT OF ME–about a girl with two souls–will be released by HarperCollins 9/18/2012. You can learn all about Kat at her site, or listen to her ramblings on twitter.

19 Responses to Coverlust: Recent Discoveries

1. Natasa May 10 2012 at 4:53 am #

Great post! I’m especially liking Splintered because the design is like a homage to the traditional fairytale story while still maintaining the modern YA appeal.

There are so many good book covers! My favourites today are Blood and Feathers by Lou Morgan, Burn Mark by Laura Powell and the UK cover of Dust by Joan Frances Turner.

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang May 10 2012 at 9:49 am #

Ooh, those are some beautiful covers you mentioned! 😀 And yes, I love the fairytale-aspect of the SPLINTERED cover, too!

2. Julie
    Julie May 10 2012 at 5:55 am #

That cover for SPLINTERED is amaaazing! Cool group of covers, Kat. Great variety!

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang May 10 2012 at 9:49 am #

Thank you!! <3 And isn’t it? So pretty!

3. Vanessa Di Gregorio
    Vanessa Di Gregorio May 10 2012 at 7:11 am #

SPLINTERED is GORGEOUS! Wow wow wow! I’ve never heard of it before, but that cover is just screaming, “PICK ME UP!” I also really like ORIGIN’s cover. Very cool! The colours are just perfect.

And I totally agree with you, Kat – I grew up with illustrated covers, and still find them so incredibly appealing!

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang May 10 2012 at 9:51 am #

Bring back more illustrated covers, I say! 😀 Ones with photographs can be beautiful, too, of course, but I do love an illustrated cover!

4. Susan May 10 2012 at 9:50 am #

The Splintered cover is totally gorgeous, but I am 100% in love with the Seraphina cover. It looks so much like the illustrations that show up in older novels, like you said. Totally beautiful.

Recently, while wandering through Barnes and Noble, I fell in love with the cover for The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger. First off – freckles. So many of the models on YA novels looks a little too perfect recently, so I loved seeing one without porcelain skin. Also, the title’s prominently displayed without covering her face, and since it’s something that you have to move closer to actually understand what it means, totally drew me in. Definitely made me want to read this book!

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang May 10 2012 at 9:55 am #

THE DUFF does have an awesome cover! I remember back before it came out, there was another cover for the ARC, but they decided to change it for the final release, and I’m glad they did because I like this one a lot better :)

5. Anita May 10 2012 at 10:30 am #

Thank you so much for spotlighting Splintered here! I’m honored for my cover to be listed with such a beautiful group of books. :) You made my Thursday!

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang May 10 2012 at 10:33 am #

It’s a beautiful cover!! 😀

6. Rowenna May 10 2012 at 11:18 am #

The Seraphina cover is taking me back to my childhood–looks so much like the books I used to read in middle school! Or maybe I’m just starting to jones for summer reading lists :) Regardless–made me really want to read the book!

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang May 10 2012 at 11:38 am #

It reminds me of those books, too! :)

7. Krispy May 10 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Very intrigued by the Origin cover, and I’ve been interested in Splintered since I read the blurb! I LOVE the Seraphina cover, and I have to tell you that your impression is spot on! I just read it, and the cover fits the tone of the book PERFECTLY. Also, it’s just an awesome book! 😀

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang May 10 2012 at 12:04 pm #

Good to hear! I’ll definitely have to check it out then :)

8. April Tucholke May 10 2012 at 2:40 pm #

SPLINTERED is so darn beautiful. And I adore the old school woodcut look of SERAPHINA, too.

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang May 11 2012 at 11:20 am #

They’re both lovely, aren’t they? :)

9. Julie May 12 2012 at 2:57 am #

I really like ORIGIN. I love its simplicity and uniqueness too. I’ve been lusting after THE SWEETEST DARK by Shana Abe.

• Kat Zhang
      Kat Zhang May 14 2012 at 12:39 pm #

ORIGIN is so pretty! And THE SWEETEST DARK looks really cool! 😀

10. Sandy Aug 1 2012 at 2:54 pm #

I love the cover for Splintered but the covers I have been lusting after ever since I first saw them would have to be the US cover Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff (illustrated by Jason Chan) the colours like Splintered are vibrant and the illustration itself is just gorgeous. The other cover I have been wanting since I saw it is another illustrated lovely – Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell, very different from Stormdancer but it also has beautiful vibrant colours and a dynamic cover.

Sandy