August Releases

By

Vanessa Di Gregorio

Summer is almost over! Somehow, August crept up on us – but that shouldn’t be a bad thing!  Because there are SO MANY AWESOME BOOKS coming out this month! And one of those books is one I’ve been waiting YEARS for (hint: it’s epic and badass)!

If you guessed THRONE OF GLASS by our very own Sarah, you’re right! This book has a special place in my heart – one, because I first read it in it’s earliest incarnation as QUEEN OF GLASS on FictionPress – and from the very first chapter, I knew wanted to one day hold a copy of that story in my hands. And two, because when I finally worked up the courage to tell Sarah just how fantastic a writer she was, she ended up being the nicest, coolest, most awesome person ever (though I suppose that shouldn’t have been a surprise!). And then one thing led to another, and I found myself a part of Let The Words Flow and met a bunch of fantastic, awe-inspiring ladies! Which is pretty much the reason I’m here now. So Sarah – congrats, and thank you!

And even though you all should be grabbing THRONE OF GLASS the first chance you get, I suppose you’ll need books to read after you finish with all that epic-ness to fight off any end-of-summer blues. So here is a list of some this month’s YA and MG releases that I happen to be really excited about:

August 1

SKYLARK by Megan Spooner (YA  Fantasy)

August 2

THE SPY PRINCESS by Sherwood Smith (MG Fantasy)
THE WAITING SKY by Lara Zielin (YA Contemporary)

August 7

THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas (YA Fantasy)
GIRL OF NIGHTMARES by Kendare Blake (YA Horror)
THE BOY RECESSION by Flynn Meaney (YA Contemporary)

—

August 14

COUNTING BACKWARDS by Laura Lascarso (YA Contemporary)
KISSING SHAKESPEARE by Pamela Mingle (YA Historical)

August 16

EARTH GIRL by Janet Edwards (YA Science Fiction)
THE TREACHERY OF BEAUTIFUL THINGS by Ruth Frances Long (YA Historical)

August 21

THE RAFT by S.A. Bodeen (YA Adventure)

August 28

DEFIANCE by C.J. Redwine (YA Fantasy)
THE LOST GIRL by Sangu Mandanna (YA Science Fiction)
EMBERS AND ECHOES by Karsten Knight (YA Fantasy)

Did I miss any out? Which are you super excited for? Let us know in the comments!

Vanessa Di Gregorio works in publishing as a sales rep at Ampersand, a book and gift sales agency. She is also a former literary agency intern. When she isn’t out selling books and talking to bookstores, Vanessa can be found over at Something Geeky, GoodreadsTwitter, or writing for Paper Droids.

21 Responses to August Releases

1. Adam Silvera Aug 6 2012 at 5:20 am #

Just finished “The Kill Order” by James Dashner. So awesome. And speaking of awesome memory-loss books, “False Memory” by cool guy Dan Krokos comes out on the 14th. CHECK IT OUT!

Middle-grades: THE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS + THE SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY. I’m halfway through the latter and it’s pretty great, a modern twist on Hansel and Gretel.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Aug 6 2012 at 10:14 pm #

Ah! I can’t believe I forgot to put FALSE MEMORY and THE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS on this list! Thanks for mentioning them, Adam!

I’ve never heard of THE SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY, but a modern twist on Hansel and Gretel sounds AMAZING! Definitely adding it to me to-read list 🙂

2. Kirsty in London Aug 6 2012 at 5:46 am #

Some great ones to look out for there! I’m really excited about the new MG series by Michelle Paver, set in the Bronze Age. It launches with GODS AND WARRIORS in late August (as far as I know).

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Aug 6 2012 at 10:16 pm #

I just added GODS AND WARRIORS to me to-read list – thanks for mentioning it! Also – it has SUCH a gorgeous cover! And really, all I needed to hear was “Bronze Age” – I’m already sold! 😀

3. Laura Wardle Aug 6 2012 at 6:07 am #

Ah, I absolutely love these posts, Vanessa! Seeing books I’ve waited for forever in the (virtual) flesh makes me so happy. As does the potential of a ton of new books to add to my already enormous to-be-read pile.

This month I’m most excited about SKYLARK (though it doesn’t release here in the UK until November, unfortunately), THRONE OF GLASS (of course!), THE LOST GIRL, DEFIANCE, and EARTH GIRL. Though, really, they all sound pretty darn awesome. 🙂

Eeek! Kat’s WLoM will be in September’s edition! <3

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Aug 6 2012 at 10:18 pm #

Woooo! Thanks Laura! I sometimes wonder why I love finding out about upcoming books that I want to read, because I’m SO behind on my TBR pile at home! There’s just too much awesome!

And you definitely listed the five titles that I’m THE most excited about! Looks like we both have fantastic taste 😛

4. Natalie Aguirre Aug 6 2012 at 7:22 am #

Both Skylark and Defiance are awesome. Thanks for sharing all the other good books coming out.

5. Tim Aug 6 2012 at 8:07 am #

(Lights Cigar) The Boy Recession sounds so crazy it might just work.

Anyway, Count Backwards cover is so Black Swany and Girl Interrupted, it’s kind of kickass. And I saw Throne of Glass in my local bookstore:O

I think Girl of Nightmares is going to be pretty good. The book had flaws (a slight vague sense of power), but the characters were very, very good. And the characters weren’t safe, which was brilliant to read in a YA.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Aug 6 2012 at 10:20 pm #

Hahahaha! I knew someone else would find THE BOY RECESSION to be crazy & interesting! And I agree with you on the COUNT BACKWARDS cover – it’s what caught my eye.

And I loved ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD, so I’m super pumped for GIRL OF NIGHTMARES 😀 (It’s sitting on my nightstand, just waiting to be read!)

6. Sooz Aug 6 2012 at 11:21 am #

Thanks for compiling this list, V! I gotta say THE SPY PRINCESS instantly caught my eye–as did THE BOY RECESSION. So many awesome titles coming out!!!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Aug 6 2012 at 10:24 pm #

Thanks Sooz! And sometimes I wonder how I’ll ever catch up in my reading when there are so many pretty, awesome books coming out all the time. I just can’t keep up!

Oh, and considering how much I love CROWN DUEL by Sherwood Smith, it’s a no-brainer for me to want to nab THE SPY PRINCESS 😛

7. Krispy Aug 6 2012 at 2:20 pm #

These look great! I’m especially excited for Throne of Glass and Girl of Nightmares! How great that they both release on the same day. 🙂

8. April Tucholke Aug 6 2012 at 3:09 pm #

The Treachery of Beautiful Things. Yes. Girl of Nightmares. Yes, double yes.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Aug 6 2012 at 10:26 pm #

I really love the title for THE TREACHERY OF BEAUTIFUL THINGS. Reminds me a bit of A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY.

9. Sarah J. Maas
    Sarah J. Maas Aug 6 2012 at 3:46 pm #

V, I’m totally in tears right now. Thank you so, so much for everything. The very best part of being on FP was that it brought so many amazing people (like you) into my life. *hugs*

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Aug 6 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Sarah, you have NO idea how incredible it is to be your friend. Like… NO IDEA. You’re seriously one of THE most amazing people I know. So thank you for bringing me into the fold! It’s completely changed my life <3 And I'm so, so happy for you! *hugs*

10. Lauren Aug 6 2012 at 8:26 pm #

I’m excited about GIRL OF NIGHTMARES. I enjoyed the first book quite a bit!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Aug 6 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Yay! It makes me happy whenever I find other ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD fans 🙂 I’ve had an ARC of the second book on my nightstand for months now – I really need to get around to reading it!

11. Ian Aug 16 2012 at 1:13 am #

The Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan was released this month final book in the ambassador spy trilogy epic series =)