Reading you under the table since 2012

How We Use Music

by Leigh Bardugo

Music can serve as a tool and inspiration for writers at every stage of their work. It can lead to plot breakthroughs or bust writer’s block, and it cropped up on the pages of several YA debuts this year including Under the Never Sky, Incarnate, and most recently, Seraphina. Here are some of the ways the writers of Pub(lishing) Crawl use music and a few of our favorite tracks.

BEAT BY BEAT

Sarah Maas uses music in the outline stages of a book: “For each book, I have a really, really detailed playlist that has all the music that inspired each scene/moment listed in order. And when scenes get shifted around when I’m editing, I’ll go to the playlist and move the song order around, too.” You can check out a condensed version of Sarah’s playlist for Throne of Glass here.

Marie Lu occasionally matches music to scene as well: “I noticed I did this more with Prodigy than with Legend. There’s a dogfight scene with fighter jets at the climax of Prodigy, and for that whole sequence I listened to almost nothing except the Top Gun soundtrack and ‘Dragon Rider’ by Two Steps From Hell.” Abbreviated versions of  Marie’s playlists can be found on her blog.

I don’t listen to music when I write, but I do sometimes use songs as emotional prompts. While working on Shadow and Bone, I used “Cosmic Love” by Florence + the Machine to get me back into the immediacy of the relationship between Mal and Alina. When it was time to get down to revisions and begin outlining Siege and Storm, I hiked to the beat of Placebo’s cover of “Running Up that Hill” by Kate Bush. Took me straight into Darkling space. You can see my Shadow and Bone/The Gathering Dark playlists here and my character-specific playlists here.

BRING IN THE NOISE

Some authors (like me and Kat Zhang) prefer to work in silence. Others like to set the mood with instrumentals, often from film and tv scores.

Sarah Jae Jones is working on a story set in Meiji Restoration Japan and chose music from Shigeru Umebayashi’s score for House of Flying Daggers to help inspire her, particularly Lovers (Mei and Jin theme) and Lovers (Full Orchestral version).

While writing Taken and its sequel, Erin Bowman relied heavily on film scores. Her favorite composers include: John Powell (The Bourne Identity, Supremacy, and Ultimatum, The Italian Job, Jumper, X-Men: The Last Stand), Javier Navarrete (Pan’s Labyrinth, Inkheart), Alexandre Desplat (The Golden Compass, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows), Hans Zimmer (Inception), and Vangelis (Bladerunner).

Incarnate author Jodi Meadows opts for Bear McCreary’s Battlestar Galactica, Hans Zimmer’s Batman Begins, and Ramin Djawadi’s work on HBO’s Game of Thrones. But she also steps away from film and tv composers with E.S. Posthumus, Ludovico Einaudi, Olafur Arnalds, and Lindsey Stirling.

DANCE BREAK

Sometimes progress stalls and the only answer is… a dance number.

When I’m deep in the bunker and banging my head against the wall, I cue  Recent favorites for these solo stomps have been “Gangnam Style” by PSY with full choreo (natch), “Body Movin” by the Beastie Boys, “Shuffle” by Bombay Bicycle Club,  and “Living with the Dreaming Body” by Poi Dog Pondering. That last one always makes me laugh: She says my work is like eating cold oatmeal day after day and she’s right.

Susan Dennard has a variation on this: “I have an ‘Almost Finished’ song for when I’m almost to the finish line–be it the first draft finish line or revisions finish line or even copy edits. I’ll bust out ‘Break My Stride’ by Matthew Wilder. Then I DANCEDANCEDANCE and WORKWORKWORK until I finally cross the finish line.”

DUET

Julie Eshbaugh’s husband is a singer-songwriter, and music influences her process in a unique and beautiful way:  “My current work-in-progress uniquely coincided with work he has been doing with his band, Rose Parade… the songs helped me to see a blossoming romantic relationship from the boy’s side, since I’m writing from the girl’s POV, and my husband’s lyrics are from a boy’s POV.”

Click here to listen to three of the most influential songs: http://www.reverbnation.com/roseparaderock.

CODA

Some authors like to create playlists that mesh up with the plot and scenes of their stories after the work is done. Sarah Jae Jones says:  “I do the Post-Draft Album, in which I trawl through my music library to find songs that emotionally, lyrically, and musically convey the trajectory of what I’ve written. (I agonize over song order too.)”

She has an example here that she structured as an album and titled, “What Grace Have I.” HIGHLY recommended.

Do you use music in your work? Or does your theme song just play when you walk into a room like Shaft? Let us know!

Leigh Bardugo is the author of the New York Times Best Seller, Shadow and Bone (Holt Children’s/Macmillan). She was born in Jerusalem, grew up in Los Angeles, and graduated from Yale University. These days, she hides out in Hollywood and indulges her love of glamour, ghouls, and costuming in her other life as makeup artist L.B. Benson.

This entry was posted in TGIF. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

14 Comments

1. Posted September 14, 2012 at 2:39 am | Permalink

I have an entire site about this! I started using music as atmosphere to conjure settings I hadn’t been to, such as Chennai in India. I did plenty of research, of course, but some well-chosen CDs completed the immersion. I then discovered it helped with chase scenes – one day I put on Fatboy Slim and surprised myself with the quirky twists that came out as I listened.

Now I build soundtracks for each novel in the planning and writing stage. Some of the pieces are conscious choices, some attack me from the radio because they seem to grab something about the book. Anyway, if you like to read more about this, try my series The Undercover Soundtrack….

2. Posted September 14, 2012 at 8:47 am | Permalink

So interesting to read how authors use or don’t use music in writing. I like to write in silence too but will consider your suggestions on using music. And congrats on the movie deal for Shadow and Bone. So excited for you.

3. Posted September 14, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Thanks, Natalie! As I said, I write in silence, too, but sometimes the right song can be a much needed jolt.

Sounds cool, Roz!

4. Posted September 14, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I have inspiration music–songs (and often just instrumental pieces) that speak to some element of what I’m writing and jumpstart me. Then I have background music–I love film scores and old church music–Thomas Tallis and Josquin Des Prez. Beautiful but not intrusive. And often quiet really is best for me.

I have noticed that some music just isn’t compatible–I love bluegrass and fiddle music, but trying to write speculative or sci-fi to it just doesn’t work!

5. Posted September 14, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I love this post so much! I think music is a great source of inspiration when I’m writing. There have been a couple of times when a song prompt gets me going, and a few other times when I think – I have the perfect song for a scene! Thanks for sharing; it was a lot of fun to see everyone’s musical inspiration/celebration :)

6. Posted September 15, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

What a fun post. Music is such a wonderful source of inspiration, I think. Like most forms of art. A song can really get me the writing mood, particularly when I haven’t been. I like to make a Pandora station for each story I write, one that I like to listen to when I’m writing and another that I listen to when I’m revising — if I’m revising, it has to be instrumental. I tend to get distracted by lyrics.

• Posted September 16, 2012 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Smart! I’ve heard Apple is coming up with some kind of competing alternative to Pandora.

7. Posted April 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Back in July, Corel announced that it had acquired Avid Studio and
    the Pinnacle Studio family, along with the rest of Avid’s video editing products geared toward hobbyist users (Avid isn’t “gone”
    – it’s just focusing on its products for the pro-level audience now). 99 as of January 2011, Corel Video – Studio Pro X3 is one of the most price friendly video AVCHD video editing software packages available on the market. The best part of using Elements is it allows novice filmmakers do a lot and makes it easy.

8. Posted May 7, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Enjoy the public open-air concept loo and shower
    area. Palma has a range of top-notch clubs, and Tito’s is one
    of the most popular. We are literally not the same person we were
    a minute ago, let alone a day, a month or a year ago.

9. Posted June 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely helpful and
    it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & help different
    users like its aided me. Good job.

my web site – Induction Cooktop

10. Posted August 7, 2013 at 2:21 am | Permalink

s better to use whole foods made from scratch for
    good health. Withdrawal from levothyroxine can be done but it takes
    6 weeks of withdrawal for the remaining thyroid tissue
    to be completely starved. Now, the average healthy amount people are supposed to lose is 2 pounds per
    week.

11. Posted September 11, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this site.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s hard to get that “perfect balance” between usability and visual appearance.
    I must say you’ve done a superb job with this. Additionally,
    the blog loads very quick for me on Chrome. Outstanding
    Blog!

12. Posted June 4, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Some of the most common oral pathologic problems in the mouth include periodontitis problems and dental traumas including oral cyst formation, subluxation and wisdom tooth extraction.
    Clear plastic sealants are applied over the parts of the back teeth used to chew where they serve as
    a barrier to food and acid that destroys the surface of the teeth.

Gum helps increase the production of saliva as well.

2 Trackbacks

1. By How We Find the Best Music to Write By on February 6, 2013 at 4:01 am

[...] Recently, I compiled a post for Pub(lishing) Crawl about the writing tools we couldn’t survive without. I was really surprised by how many people (both Pub Crawl gals and readers who commented) listed music among their essential tools. Up until I put that post together, I’d always been a write-in-silence type. I envied those who had whole playlists of music to write by. (Leigh Bardugo posted a great piece about how we use music in our writing here.) [...]

2. By Pub(lishing) Crawl Tips for NaNoWriMo 2013 on October 28, 2013 at 7:02 am