Upcoming Book to Movie Adaptations

by

Vanessa Di Gregorio

Today marks the day that yet another movie based on a (fantastic!) book hits the big screen – The Perks of Being a Wallflower, based on the coming of age novel of the same name written by Stephen Chbosky. And since I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this book-to-movie adaptation, I thought I’d make a list of all the other ones I’m also excited about!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (September 21, 2012 – today!)

Why I’m Excited: I LOVED this novel. A lot. So of course I jumped up and down the very first time I laid eyes on the trailer! Plus, I’m super pumped to see Emma Watson on screen again! She might always have a place in my heart as Hermione, but I’m really looking forward to seeing her portrayal of Sam. Oh, my little wizard is all grown up!

Cloud Atlas (October 26, 2012)

Why I’m Excited: Based on the 2004 novel by David Mitchell, the story consists of six interwoven tales that take place over different periods of time, from the 19th century to a post-apocalyptic future. And the best part? The movie is co-written and co-directed by the Wachowskis (you might remember them from a movie way back when called The Matrix…). And with a stellar cast (Tom Hanks! Halle Berry! Hugh Grant!) all portraying up to six different people in the movie, it looks like what sounds confusing might actually be cinematic gold.

To watch the (super amazing!) extended version of the Cloud Atlas trailer, click here.

Life of Pi (Nov. 21, 2012)

Why I’m Excited: It’s not a secret that The Life of Pi by Yann Martel is one of my all-time favourite books – EVER. Honestly, Pi Patel and that Bengal tiger have some of the best interactions in any story I’ve read. Considering how a big chunk of the book takes place with Pi all alone and stranded at sea (albeit with a number of animals – Bengal tiger included!), I’m interested to see just how this very internal story is shown to us visually. And if the movie is just as amazing as that trailer, then I will be one happy little fan girl!

The Hobbit (Dec. 14, 2012)

Why I’m Excited: OF COURSE I’M EXCITED ABOUT THIS! Who isn’t? While I’m still not 100% sold on this being 3 movies (3! I was already iffy about 2!), I am nevertheless jumping and screaming and DYING of anticipation for this movie. Watching the trailer gives me goosebumps. Just hearing, “The Hobbit”, or seeing the words, gets my heart racing. If there was an author from my childhood that fostered my love of reading, it was J.R.R. Tolkien.

Les Misérables (December 25, 2012)

Why I’m Excited: I’m not going to lie – Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman are a HUGE part of why I’m excited about this. These two are amazing actors, and I’m looking forward to hearing their fantastic voices singing! The only thing: I’m debating whether I want to watch this in theaters and bawl like a baby in public, or wait for it to come out so I can watch it in the comfort of my own home (and not worry about being a total and complete mess!). But most likely I’ll be red eyed in a movie theater with others crying just as much as me!

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (January 11, 2013)

Why I’m Excited: JEREMY RENNER. Do I really need to say anything else? Yes, this looks kinda campy, but it also looks like a kick-butt action flick that happens to be a wild retelling of the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel. I mean, when you think about it, these gun-totting siblings are much more believable than Abraham Lincoln as a vampire hunter. Right? (But if you don’t agree, then forget I said all that and go back to my first point: Jeremy Renner. Swoon!).

Beautiful Creatures (Feb. 13, 2013)

Why I’m Excited: Okay – so I might not have read the books, but I am excited that another YA series is winding up on the big screen – plus, I’ve heard some pretty fantastic things about this series! Highschool romance? Check! Dark secrets? Check! A trailer that has a super awesome Florence + the Machine song? CHECK!

The Great Gatsby (May 10, 2013)

Why I’m Excited: Steller book, with a stellar cast for the movie adaptation. And Leonardo DiCaprio is MADE for this role, don’t you think? This movie looks amazing, and I just can’t wait! I’m a little sad they pushed it back to a 2013 release, but I can wait!

Ender’s Game (Nov. 1, 2013)

Why I’m Excited: No trailer for this movie – YET! But I don’t even need to see one to know that I want to see this movie! Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game is one of my favourite books, so I am just DYING for this movie to hit the big screen! Plus, Harrsion Ford (my childhood love, aka Han Solo & Indiana Jones) will be in it.

Which book to film adaptation are you most excited about? Did I leave out any that you can’t wait for?

Vanessa Di Gregorio works in publishing as a sales rep at Ampersand, a book and gift sales agency. She is also a former literary agency intern. When she isn’t out selling books and talking to bookstores, Vanessa can be found over at Something Geeky, Goodreads
Twitter
, or writing for Paper Droids.

24 Responses to Upcoming Book to Movie Adaptations

1. Kirsty in London Sep 21 2012 at 7:19 am #

Great collection there! Another one I’m really looking forward to is HOW I LIVE NOW (from the book by Meg Rosoff) starring Saoirse Ronan. There’s no official release date yet but it should be at some point in 2013. Saoirse will also be in Stephenie Meyer’s THE HOST (March 2013), which I haven’t read, but some of my friends are really excited about it.

And if comics count… the new Superman (MAN OF STEEL) looks pretty hot! They’ve managed to butch up the ol’ spandex costume (it has abs!) and they’ve lost the red knickers.

• April Tucholke Sep 21 2012 at 2:23 pm #

HOW I LIVE NOW. Totally.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Sep 27 2012 at 10:54 am #

I TOTALLY spent way too much time debating with myself whether or not to include comic movies! But I figured if I did that, the post might end up being a bit on the long side…

And how did I not know that HOW I LIVE NOW is becoming a movie?!? AHHH!

2. Gwen Cole Sep 21 2012 at 10:00 am #

I’m definitely most excited for Warm Bodies by Issac Marion. I LOVE the book and the movie looks excellent!!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Sep 27 2012 at 11:08 am #

Oooh, I haven’t heard of that one! I’ll have to g check it out – thanks Gwen! 🙂

3. Christa Sep 21 2012 at 10:27 am #

So excited for almost these movies! I’ve been scrambling a little to make sure I have them all read before I go see them. Currently working my way through Cloud Atlas and loving it! The trailer for Beautiful Creatures looks amazing! And I may actually have a count down on my wall for the Hobbit.

The only ones I probably won’t see are The Great Gatsby, because despite the multitude of times I’ve tried to read the book I can never understand why people love it (please don’t hate me!) and Ender’s Game, because even though I loved the book growing up, I just can’t give Orson Scott Card any more of my money.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Sep 27 2012 at 11:14 am #

It’s hard, loving a book but not really liking the author. It’s always upsetting to find out things about authors that you just don’t agree with!

4. Stephanie Allen Sep 21 2012 at 11:43 am #

I haven’t read Beautiful Creatures, but after watching that trailer…yeah. That’s next on my list now!

I’m really excited about Divergent and Shadow and Bone, so fingers crossed that they actually happen!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Sep 27 2012 at 11:08 am #

Oh, I am SO excited about DIVERGENT and SHADOW AND BONE! Those movies just HAVE to happen!

5. Krispy Sep 21 2012 at 11:52 am #

Aaaah! I’m looking forward to so many of these, especially The Hobbit, Gatsby, and Life of Pi. They look absolutely stunning, and I’m a fan of all those directors. 🙂

Cloud Atlas seems interesting and has a cool premise, but the use of yellowface bugs me, not to mention it looks really weird and kinda ugly. 😛 Probably will skip this one or catch it when it’s on TV.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Sep 27 2012 at 11:07 am #

Won’t lie – I had NO IDEA what yellowface even was! *facepalm* But now that I know, I’m actually really upset. WHY MUST THEY DO THAT?!

6. Lou Sep 22 2012 at 3:14 pm #

I agree with Kripsy about the use of yellowface in Cloud Atlas (and just to throw it out there I think it’s interesting that it seems like the main male characters have all been cast with white men, but the main female characters include a cast of women of color…) Since I don’t want this comment to turn into a rant, or hijack the focus of the comments away from books that are being turned into movies (totally excited for the Hobbit and Beautiful Creatures!) I’m including a link to the race bending website if anyone is curious about yellowface or broader issues with casting and race: http://www.racebending.com/v4/blog/cloud-atlas-conversation-yellowface-prejudice-artistic-license/

• Lou Sep 22 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Woops, sorry for the typo Krispy

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Sep 27 2012 at 11:04 am #

Lou, thank you so much for that link! It’s a bit embarrassing, but I’ve actually never heard of the term “yellowface” before, so I’m very happy you included a link to the yellowface issues with Cloud Atlas.

Casting has always been something that upsets me in Hollywood (I mean, The Hunger Games was the perfect example recently with Katniss, though if it HAD to be a Caucasian girl, I’m very happy it was Jennifer Lawrence).

I remember reading recently somewhere that Hollywood is comfortable with women of colour and white men in relationships, but not really the other way around. It’s very troubling, and the yellowface in Cloud Atlas is actually quite upsetting, and makes me not want to watch the movie anymore! Such a shame.

7. JQ Trotter Sep 22 2012 at 7:14 pm #

I love Tom Hanks, but I don’t know how they can turn cloud Atlas into a movie. It’s just… I’m not holding up high hopes for that.
    But I’m excited about the other things 🙂 I was actually living in Sydney when they were filming the Great Gatsby and I got to see Leo & Toby prepare for a scene in front of the Sydney train station. I was pretty star-struck, I actually needed to catch a train and didn’t know they were doing that… needless to say, I missed my train.

8. Ange/Libby Blog Sep 23 2012 at 3:54 pm #

SO many that I can’t wait for! Especially the Hansel and Gretel and the Beautiful Creatures movies! Great post!

9. Alexa (Loves Books) Sep 25 2012 at 4:08 pm #

This post totally just made my day (and not just because I got to see four of my favorites – Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Emma Watson & Jeremy Renner – in these trailers)! I love checking out book-to-movie adaptations, and I’m certainly looking forward to a lot of these. I think, by a slight margin, I’m looking forward to The Hobbit the most! I loved that book SO MUCH and to see it translated onto the big screen will (hopefully) be amazing!

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Sep 27 2012 at 11:05 am #

I think I’m most excited about The Hobbit as well! I’m really keeping my fingers crossed that it will be amazing (it just HAS to be)!

10. Gill Sep 26 2012 at 1:51 pm #

I am nervous/excited about the Great Gatsby, Life of Pi, and Cloud Atlas (NO IDEA how to turn that into one movie!). I’m surprised nobody mentioned Anna Karenina. The Joe Wright adaptation with Keira Knightley and Jude Law looks absolutely gorgeous.

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Sep 27 2012 at 11:06 am #

I KNEW I WAS MISSING ONE! I’m definitely looking forward to seeing Keira Knightley in Anna Karenina!

11. Christian Grey Apr 28 2013 at 5:34 am #

Hello colleagues, good post and good arguments commented at this place, I am actually enjoying by these.