Last Call: If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

Today I’m pleased to announce a new recurring feature on PubCrawl: Last Call! On the final Friday of each month, we’ll be celebrating our Book of the Month with a quick, image-based post. Through visuals and a quote from the novel, we hope to bring the story to life in a unqiue way, enticing those who have not yet read it, to pick it up, and letting those who have read it, relive it briefly. We’ll leave you with a question to discuss that’s inspired by the book–answer in the comments or in a blog post of your own (but be sure to leave us a link so we can stop by!).

Without further ado… October’s Last Call:

Words from If I Lie by Corrine Jackson. Images of girl, soldiers, and helicopter used under the Creative Commons License.

In If I Lie, Quinn has done the unthinkable: she’s kissed a boy that is not Carey, her boyfriend currently serving in Afghanistan. Branded a cheater, Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she’s vowed to keep—secrets that aren’t hers to share.

Your turn: Confess a secret, publishing related or otherwise. Ready, go!

16 Responses to Last Call: If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

1. Gwen Cole Oct 26 2012 at 9:28 am #

I just wanted to say that I loved this book. 😛 A lot.

• mintesnot Feb 5 2013 at 6:28 am #

ya me 2

2. Sooz Oct 26 2012 at 10:14 am #

My secret is that I have way more self-doubts now than I ever did before I was published. 🙁 That’s kind of a downer confession, but it’s the only one I could come up with! And it’s not necessarily a bad thing to be more afraid–it just means I keep working hard and not giving up.

• Erin Bowman
      Erin Bowman Oct 26 2012 at 10:29 am #

Sooz, I struggle with the same thing. It does seem like a downer, but I agree with you that being more afraid only makes you work harder. And hey–“If your dreams don’t scare you, they’re not big enough.” (I forget who said that originally, but it’s 100% right.)

• Sarah J. Maas
      Sarah J. Maas Oct 26 2012 at 1:03 pm #

I’m totally with you, Sooz and Erin. Learning to face & defeat that self-doubt has been my biggest challenge in the past few months (and is something I’m still struggling to overcome).

• Marie Lu
      Marie Lu Oct 26 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Sooz, and Erin and Sarah, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I think I now cry into my pillow over writer’s block way more than I ever did pre-publication, and sometimes the self-doubt is really crippling. I try to console myself with the thought that if we do feel this way, then it means that we must be growing as writers. Because if we ever feel like it’s safe and easy, then I’d think that would be a big warning bell. Er, I hope.

3. Mandy Hubbard Oct 26 2012 at 10:40 am #

Oooh, SEKRETS. My problem is I’m so open on twitter and such that I don’t really have secrets to share. Everyone already knows that I watch JERSEY SHORE and I like Bieber’s music.

Sooz, I think the more-self-doubt thing comes becuase at one time, all you wanted was validation from an agent, then an editor (in the form of an offer.). After you sell, you join groups where people talk about their foreign sales and their marketing and their tours, and you see betseller lists, and you see PMP deals every day, and you steadily become more and more aware of teh thousand kinds of validation there are, and you’ll never get ALL THOSE THINGS, but it’s impossible not to compare, compare, compare.

Like, the more you know what’s possible… the more you want all those possibiltiies, and the more you doubt yourself if you don’t get them.

We writers are a crazy bunch. 😉

• Sooz Oct 28 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Ah, you’re SO right, Mandy. So, so, SO right. It took me a while to move past the comparison game, and there are still more times than I’d care to admit that I’ll catch myself thinking, “Crap! I want to sell X-rights in an X-figure deal too!” It has taken me an even LONGER time to rediscover my love of writing and to throw myself back into the words like I used to.

Crazy bunch, indeed.

4. RachelSeigel
    RachelSeigel Oct 26 2012 at 10:42 am #

My secret is that I haven’t been able to read all of the books by our own Pubcrawl ladies, andI feel really guilty! 🙂

5. Alyssa Oct 26 2012 at 12:44 pm #

I shared my secret at my blog here: http://lyss.me/2012/10/26/my-secret/

It’s kind of my novel-coming-out, so it was very scary to write and even scarier to click ‘Publish’ on! I’m glad I did it, though, and I’m glad you posed this question. I’m liking this new feature. 🙂

• Erin Bowman
      Erin Bowman Oct 26 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Alyssa!!! Thank you so much for not only sharing your secret, but taking it a step further and doing a whole blog post about it. I know exactly what you mean when you say the novel you’re writing is intensely personal. Sharing one’s stories is both exciting and terrifying. Best of luck with all your writing!

6. Biljana
    Biljana Oct 26 2012 at 3:06 pm #

My secret is that I’m terrified I won’t amount to all the expectations people have of me in terms of writing and publishing. I feel like there’s a lot of pressure because I’m already in so deep with contributing to this blog and knowing all you ladies. It’s turned me into a bit of writing perfectionist, which has both it’s advantages and drawbacks.

7. Leigh Bardugo
    Leigh Bardugo Oct 26 2012 at 5:17 pm #

First of all, I second all the words about self-doubt just coming back bigger and badder after publication.
    A secret… I know this seems like something small but for me it’s a weirdly big deal— for the first time in my life, I’m skipping Halloween.

8. Alexa (Loves Books) Oct 27 2012 at 12:12 am #

Hmm, a secret? I’m a diehard fan of boy band fan fiction – and I not only read it, but write it. I haven’t written anything new in ages, but before… well, there’s a LOT of material, and I’ll leave it at that 😉