Critique partners. They are such an important resource for any writer. A sounding board. An honest opinion. A critical eye.

I’ve seen many writers make the analogy that finding the right critique partner is a lot like dating. You have to go on a lot of dates before you find The One.

If you’re on the hunt for a critique partner, chances are you want one who writes the same genre as you (YA vs MG vs you get the point) and needs the same type of feedback you’re looking for (big picture thoughts only vs nitty, gritty line edits). If you have enough in common, you might go on a first date. Not everyone that is a match on paper is a match IRL, though, and for this reason, it’s always safest to trade a chapter or two before exchanging full mss with a new CP. Swap a few pages, give each other feedback, and feel things out. Are you enthusiastic about his/her work? Were you able to provide the type of feedback they were looking for? Did you find their feedback on your ms helpful? Professional? Timely? If everything seems to be flowing, trade a few more pages (ahem–keep dating). Maybe you’ve found The One. If not, part ways and continue the search! There’s a big sea of writers out there, and I’m positive your match is waiting.

But how do you even find someone to go on that first date with? Now that is the question!

The internet is an amazing, amazing tool. There are a number of writing communities out there that are great places to start meeting other writers, all without having to leave your house. YALitChat, Savvy Author, and Absolute Write, for instance. Some even have dedicated areas/forum threads for finding a CP! Professional organizations like SCBWI are another great outlet for meeting writers. NaNo, as well, is full of potential critique partners–especially this time of year!

Speaking from personal experience with CP searches, I can’t say enough about the online writing community. I found my critique partner through an agent’s blog a little over two years ago. The agent posted about the importance of CPs, why every writer needs one, etc, etc, and then turned the comments over to us blog readers. She encouraged us to share a bit about our work and our CP needs in hopes that we’d meet others with similar needs. I ended up trading pages with a few different writers and one was the perfect match for me. We’re still working together today! (A writing love story! ;))

So in order to jump-start your search, I want to do that same thing for you, right here on Pub(lishing) Crawl.

If you’re looking for a critique partner, leave the following in the comments:

• One-line pitch for your book
  • Genre and sub-genre (eg: YA sci-fi)
  • Word count
  • Critique needs (eg: big picture feedback vs line edits)
  • Your name and email  — note: be sure to write out the @ and . in your email so the bots don’t get to it. eg:  you[at]yours[dot]com

So leave your info below. Reach out to anyone who seems like a good match for your needs. We (the PubCrawl gals) will NOT be coordinating pairings or putting people in touch–that’s on your shoulders–so don’t be shy. The search for the right CP is rarely quick, or easy, but you can’t find The One if you never start looking for them!

For further reading on critique partners, check out this thorough (and fabulous) blog post from Beth Revis.

Good luck, all! 🙂

110 Responses to Finding a Critique Partner: insights and an opportunity to start your search NOW!

1. ellie Moreton Dec 5 2012 at 9:20 am #

Sounds Awesome! 🙂

■One-line pitch: When Kochie is double crossed on a mission to capture Liko, he ends up the captive himself. Bound to each other by magic that isn’t suppose to exist anymore, Liko and Kochie set off on an adventure they’re not suppose to know about.

■Genre and sub-genre: YA Fantasy adventure

■Word count: Currently 67,000 Ish

■Your name and email: Ellie – EllieMoreton at gmail dot com

2. Kaye M. Dec 5 2012 at 10:18 am #

Oh, gosh, thank you guys for this!

One-line pitch: In pre-Meiji Japan, a young maidservant finds herself swept up in a world of political intrigue and supernatural schemings when she stumbles into spirit territory. [That’s the most my always paranoid “SOMEONE’S GOING TO STEAL MY WORK AAAH” mind is willing to give.]

Genre and sub-genre: YA Historical Fantasy

Word count: Are you counting this draft? Because the last one was over 80,000 -something. >< This current one is probably 10,000 so far.

Critique needs: Big picture feedback – am I really doing the right thing? Does that scene seem too contrived? Does it look like I've sprouted any new white hairs since yesterday…no, I kid. I pretty much need someone who's willing to keep me sane, has a good sense of humor, and pushes me off the deep end into publishing – because heaven only knows my toes will stay clamped here on the diving board.

Name and e-mail: Kaye – busylearninghome AT gmail DOT com

3. Michelle Roberts Dec 5 2012 at 10:19 am #

Pitch: While training to be a dragonknight, Kollin discovers that his mother’s people are slaves . . . and that he’s caught in the middle of a plan to wipe them from the face of the earth.

Genre: YA Fantasy
    Word count: currently about 10,000 (story is complete, just doing a rewrite)
    Critique needs: big picture; does it make sense, does it flow, etc
    Michelle Roberts: michroberts90@gmail.com

• Michelle Roberts Dec 5 2012 at 10:25 am #

Oops! Read the directions, but got distracted. Totally forgot to spell out email address. I’m not a bot, I promise. 🙂

• Erin Bowman
        Erin Bowman Dec 5 2012 at 10:29 am #

No worries! Spelling out the email is mostly to protect *you* from the spambots. 🙂

4. Kim Miner Dec 5 2012 at 10:26 am #

One-line pitch: Over 200 years after Snow White’s death, a new generation of heroes, magicians and monsters live with the consequences of happily ever after.

Genre and subgenre: Adult Fantasy

Word Count: 120K (though I am currently looking to shave that down)

Critique needs: Big picture feedback

Your name and email: Kim- marianmlibrarian at gmail dot com

5. Becka P. Dec 5 2012 at 10:42 am #

Pitch: Prudence Dawson responded to a governess post for a forgotten family in the English moors only to find a crumbling estate, a tiger, and the tiresome Edward Brooks.

Genre and subgenre: Romance, Historical

Word count: 74k

Name & email: Becka – rebeccafitz at gmail dot com

• Diana Dec 5 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Hi Becka!

I’m interested in possibly teaming up with you. I tried to send you an email but it bounced back saying the address wasn’t right (and I changed the and to @ and the dot to .) Just let me know the best way to reach you and I’ll shoot you an email!

• Kaye M. Dec 5 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Hi Becka, I’m also interested, but wasn’t able to send an e-mail either. Better check that address!

6. Kendal Dec 5 2012 at 11:16 am #

Pitch: When she discovers the secrets of an abandoned beach and the family who guard it, a teenaged misfit must fight to save the one person in town more screwed up than herself.

Genre: YA magical realism

Word count: current draft is around 70,000

Critique needs: Big picture critique. Does the general story work?

Name and email: Kendal–ksnow82 at yahoo dot com

7. CB Soulsby Dec 5 2012 at 11:19 am #

Thanks for this post, I really need a crit partner and never know how to approach finding one!

One-line pitch: On a remote Scottish island, fifteen-year-old Trypp invokes the power of an enchanted ring to save his sister’s life, but must find a way to break its magic by midnight before the ring’s followers sacrifice him to the evil spirit they worship.

Genre and subgenre: (younger end of) Young adult (historicalish) fantasy

Word count: 60,000

Critique needs: I’d love to find someone who can point out where I’ve gone astray or haven’t managed to convey something properly or just general muddy parts. Characterisation. Interest. Everything really (apart from line-edits!) Thanks!

Name and email: CB Soulsby, charlottesoulsby(at)yahoo(dot)com

8. Sooz Dec 5 2012 at 11:45 am #

Awesome post, Erin!! I have to say that I definitely met all of my CPs online. The first one didn’t work out to well (our writing styles were very different) and we made the mistake of exchanging our ENTIRE mss to start. LESSON LEARNED! After that, I met a few other CPs (via YALitChat) and we started by exchanging only a few scenes at a time. It was great, and those writers are now good friends of mine too!

9. Leslie Dec 5 2012 at 11:53 am #

One-line Pitch: A teenage superhero is annoyed when an arrogant new hero moves to town and steals the spotlight, but the closer they get she discovers how deep their origin stories connect.

Genre: YA superhero romance

Word count 50k+ (missing ending)

Critiques needs: Aside from basic suckiness. General story, structure and character development help. Does the story work? Is it too random? Anything really.

Name and email

Leslie laboyden320 [AT] yahoo [DOT] com

10. Chelsey Dec 5 2012 at 11:57 am #

I definitely need an as-I’m-doing-this-revision CP!

Seventeen-year-old Meridian is an aspiring musician who breaks ties as easily as she changes strings on her guitar, but when an accident destroys her leg, she has to figure out how to get away from her aunt and uncle’s home in suburbia, and back on the road to rock-stardom.
    Genre and sub-genre (eg: YA sci-fi): YA Contemp
    Word count: 90k at the moment, but I’m cutting (I hope)
    Critique needs (eg: big picture feedback vs line edits): I’m doing a major revision, so someone who’d be willing to give feedback on pieces would be great.

Chelsey chelseyblair(at)gmail(dot)com

11. Amanda Dec 5 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Pitch: As an Abscula, Honna is reviled by the Ministry, but once her secret is discovered, they will do anything to get her within their grasp.

Genre: YA Dystopia

Word Count: 61,000 currently (will be 75,000ish at completion)

Critique Needs: At this point, big picture stuff – character development, plot holes, setting, etc.

Amanda (amandahegerwrites at gmail dot com)

12. Stéphanie Dec 5 2012 at 12:27 pm #

I’m not a writer so I’m not looking for a critique partner, but I will put my name down to be a beta reader. I don’t really have any experience in editing or beta reading, but I do have a lot of experience in reading.

I read anything that has a supernatural elements to it, anything that hints “out of the ordinary”, and science-fiction. I read both YA and Adult fiction. I could help with the big picture, the general sense of the story and making sense of scenes.

Feel free to contact me! stephlrxod at gmail dot com

13. C. A. Mitchell Dec 5 2012 at 12:28 pm #

This is so spooky… about 7 and 1/2 minutes before I found this post I decided I would go out and find a crit partner! It’s fate, I tell you!

Anyway, I’m interested in YA fantasy/sci-fi (although I do have a soft spot for head-over-heels teenage love. Think Lauren Oliver, not Stephanie Myer!)

One line pitch: Iain likes his easy, simple life, and has no desire to embark on a Big Adventure… which is a shame, given what’s about to happen.

Genre and sub-genre : YA Fantasy

Word count: 106,000

Critique needs: Big picture. Do you care about the characters and the world they’re in? Is the plot interesting, tight, and properly paced? Do you want to turn the page, or would you get more satisfaction from throwing the book onto a big bonfire? (chanting and naked dancing optional)

C A Mitchell at c.a.mitchell86[at]gmail[dot]com

• Kaye M. Dec 5 2012 at 6:21 pm #

Ha, I went through the exact same thing! I thought just last night that I desperately need a critique partner. Cool, no? I might just e-mail you and see how it goes!

• Michelle Roberts Dec 6 2012 at 10:49 am #

Hi, C. A. I’ve been contemplating looking for a critique partner lately also. (Small world.) I’ll probably send you an email later today.

14. Vania Dec 5 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Pitch: Sia has trained most of her life to be her tribe’s Protector–the barrier between humans and Unseen–as well as the only one who can harness their magic but when a killer strikes not her training or magic can keep them safe especially when a human boy steps in to ‘help’.

Genre: ya light fantasy

Wordcount: 80k

Critique: big picture, what works, what doesn’t, are the characters fleshed out enough so the reader cares… Etc

Contact :vandsmedia(at) gmail(dot) com

15. Alison Dec 5 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Pitch: Stuck in a lumber camp with his mean, old granny, 10-year-old Stan must find a way to escape her control, avoid his cousin’s medical quackery, and keep the shanty boys away from his sweet, but checked out Mama.

Genre:MG humorous historical

Word Count: 20,500 plus illustrations

Critique Needs: Big picture

Alison at glassali(at)ymail(dot)com

Thanks so much for providing this opportunity!

16. Amy Jane Dec 5 2012 at 1:28 pm #

(I’ll fill this in, then go back and browse the profiles ;} )

■One-line pitch: Trapped in the form of a dragon called the Lindorm, Prince Kennett must find a way to become human, hold his fractured family together, and forestall a magical invasion– all while he’s still learning what it means to be a man.

■Genre and sub-genre: YA Fantasy, Folk Tale novelization

■Word count: Currently 80,000 but some revisions pushed higher.

■Critique needs: Big picture feedback. My goal is to buck the relationships-have-to-be-troubled-to-be-interesting cliche, and I’m interested in someone who will notice/discuss relational/psychological consistency along with consistency in “magic rules.”

■Your name and email: Amy Jane. snow {dot} ffairy at g maildot com

17. Yahong Dec 5 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Love this idea, Erin! Am totally taking advantage. 😀 Thank you!

Note: I write both MG and YA, so am perfectly willing to read YA! In exchange, I’d love to work with someone who can read and provide feedback for middle-grade. 🙂

Pitch: Thirteen-year-old Victoria must find out who’s hoaxing the crop circles appearing in her riding school’s fields before the bad publicity shuts down the stable and she loses the only place where she can horseback ride.
    Genre and sub-genre: MG contemporary
    Word count: currently 52,000
    Critique needs: big picture, definitely; whether or not the plot works/is believable; character growth & development
    Yahong Chi, yahongchi at gmail dot com

• Kaye M. Dec 5 2012 at 6:29 pm #

I was a rider as a middle schooler, so this idea appeals to me! I’ll drop you a line!

18. Kacie J. Dec 5 2012 at 2:05 pm #

One-Line Pitch: Stacie Chun works as a security monitor on campus and discovers that the supposedly haunted and abandoned dorm is actually full of supernatural students.

Genre and sub-genre: YA supernatural/fantasy (?)

Word Count: 50,069 (probably will go up)

Critique needs: Big picture feedback and to make sure my characters are realistic as possible. This is my first manuscript that I did during Nanowrimo. I probably won’t be able to exchange anything until February 1, 2013 because I want to make some edits myself before sending it to anyone.

Name & Email: Kacie and reach me at kcjeon114[at]gmail[dot]com

19. Hannah Dec 5 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Thanks so much for this Erin, what a great idea!

My pitch isn’t the great ever, so maybe that’s something along the way I can get help with! 😀

Alexa Green has not just seen the future, she’s been there. Caught between two worlds, one her own and the other a dystopian London, Alexa begins questioning all that she knows to be right and wrong.
    Genre and sub-genre (eg: YA sci-fi): YA dystopian/pre-apocalyptic
    Word count: Approx 65,000 – but please bear in mind that this is my NaNo project, and it’s not finished yet!
    Critique needs (eg: big picture feedback vs line edits): I’m kind of looking for everything. I’m terrible with my tenses, whether or not the story works, if my MC is too whiny etc. Someone/s who can help me look at the bigger picutre as well all the nitty gritty stuff. And don’t worry, I’m a hard egg. I can take it!

Your name and email — Hannah – my email is hannah (dot) membrey (at) gmail (dot) com

I’m also more than happy to reciprocate and read your work too. I’m mainly interested in YA urban fantasy, contemporary and of course, anything dystopian/apocalytpic!

Loooking forward to hearing from people!

• Hannah Dec 7 2012 at 12:59 am #

This post has been extremely helpful and I’ve found some really fantastic crit partners already! Can’t wait to begin this journey now 😀 Please note that I’m not taking anymore requests, sorry! (I don’t know how to delete the post :S)

20. Sorcha Dec 5 2012 at 2:50 pm #

This is such a brilliant idea! Thanks, you guys. 😀

One-line pitch for your book: During a drunken dare Finn’s on-off girlfriend, Adair, falls from Sutton bridge. Her body isn’t found and he’s left to cope with her death. But when Finn accidentally stumbles through a tear in time he realises that maybe they don’t know what happened to Adair after all.
    Genre and sub-genre YA with a paranormal twist
    Word count: First draft is at ~54,000 words
    Critique needs: Definitely big picture feedback!
    Your name and email: Sorcha, sorchakate[at]gmail[dot]com

21. Gen Turner Dec 5 2012 at 2:53 pm #

This is my first ever attempt at finding a CP, but here goes:

On Line Pitch: The daughter of a once venerable, but now declining, Spanish California family is trapped in a shotgun wedding to the grandson of the Yankee that stole her family’s rancho. Can their marriage survive the decades old war between their families and their cultures?

Genre and Sub-Genre: Historical romance

Word Count: 97K

Critique Needs: I’m new to fiction writing, so I need a big picture look in terms of pacing, structure, characterizations, etc. I have a lot of experience with scientific writing, so I’m used to criticism and I have a decent grasp of grammer and other writing basics. Because of the way my brain is wired, I will do line edits on anything I read. Free of charge. 🙂

Email: genevive (dot) turner (at) gmail (dot) com

• Gen Turner Dec 5 2012 at 3:05 pm #

And there’s a typo in my post! Grrr!

• Anna Read Mar 18 2013 at 7:32 am #

I’d be interested in beta reading your story! I need someone to read mine as well.

Pitch: A teenage girl witnesses a shocking death in her family and is left feeling tied to the only other person who knows the truth about the death: a handsome, brooding young man who has a penchant for carrying painful secrets for far too long.

Genre: historical romance (set in WWII.)
      Critique needs: anything you can help with from big picture to detail!
      Word Count: 66,000
      My email is anna m read at gmail dot com. (without spaces)

Thanks!

• Frank L P Aug 26 2015 at 11:55 am #

Hi, how are you?
      I write realistic fiction, novels and short stories. I have many completed stories collect dust. I lived in the country for many years without any internet connection so I couldn’t look for CT partner. But now I purchased a (pocket) SMART BRO and I am in business.
      I try to keep my fictions emotionally charged but not so much plot driven, however keeping interesting relationships between my charters is most important in my stories.
      Please note: I couldn’t be too much help in horror stories or science fictions genres, I am not that much interested in these genres…

22. Beth Dec 5 2012 at 2:54 pm #

One-line pitch for your book: Adeline Stewart thought her life was over when her mother packed them up and moved them in with her grandparents in Illinois. Turns out, things were only just getting started.
    Genre and sub-genre: contemp YA
    Word count: 77,000
    Critique needs: all
    Your name and email: Beth bethgenenbacher at gmail dot com

23. Jayme Dec 5 2012 at 3:10 pm #

One-line pitch: After her father burns her pages and all of those whispered voices come rushing back to mind, Calla finds herself an inmate at Wyther Hollow Asylum, where she struggles to prove that a newspaper story – which bears a striking resembles to one of her own – about a string of recent murders is nothing more than fiction.

Genre: YA Historical

Word Count: I’m currently in the middle of a revision, but it should end up around 80K-100K.

Critique needs: Mostly big picture items – characterization, plot holes, world building

Name and Email: Jayme (jaymestryker [at] gmail [dot] com)

24. Nicole Dec 5 2012 at 3:26 pm #

Pitch: Mabel’s sister is missing and she begins a quest to bring her back home. She discovers that the man who kidnapped her, Thaddeus, is none other than the Emperor of Asdir. Mabel teams up with Edwin who is on his own quest—to kill Thaddeus for the murder of his sister. Together they journey through Asdir, igniting a revolution to destroy Thaddeus, but it may require more sacrifices than they’re willing to give.

Genre: YA Fantasy

Word count: Working on end of draft but it’s currently at 58,000 words

Critique needs: big picture

Name and email: Nicole and I can be reached at settle.nicole[at]gmail[dot]com

25. Katelyn Dec 5 2012 at 3:34 pm #

One-line pitch: After fiends worse than the villains of her darkest nightmares destroy her coastal village, Lacey Gracen seeks shelter at the prestigious Cloudbourne Academy, but she knows safety is fleeting and the only way to salvage her life is to face the creatures head on.

Genre: YA Fantasy

Word Count: 115K, but dropping as I work through revisions

Critique Needs: An outside eye to analyze plot development (pacing and potential confusion) as well as character and relationship development.

Name and Email: Katelyn Larson, klarson315 [at] yahoo [dot] com

26. Chelle Dec 5 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Pitch: After helping her father save the Blood heirloom sword from being stolen, one of a matched pair,16 y.o. Meiying sets out to find the Honor Sword, lost since her mother’s death years before. Her journey takes her through the treacherous jianghu where she battles Pan Lei, a dangerous young man from her past.

Genre: YA Historical Fantasy

Word count: 56,000 after edits

Critique Needs: Everything: line edits plus big picture – characterisation, plot holes, world building, relationship development, tenses, etc.

Name and Email: Chelle r2jadien [at] gmail [dot] com

27. Kairee-Anne Cooley Dec 5 2012 at 4:16 pm #

This sounds awesome!! 🙂 Thanks so much for the post and the idea of doing this!

One-line pitch:War within the shadows and mist has only just begun. We are nothing more than the dirty humans that hated us for having this curse buried deep inside us. .
    Genre and sub-genre: YA dystopian/apocalytpic
    Word count: 23,486 (NaNo ’12 project, and haven’t been able to work on it due to college finals)
    Critique needs: Grammar/sentense surcture/tenses, as well as an outsider look on how the story is turning out in terms of plot and characters or in other words, the big picture feedback! 🙂
    Your name and email: Kairee-Anne Cooley and my email is darkwolfwriter[at]gmail[dot]com

28. Issy Dec 5 2012 at 4:43 pm #

■One-line pitch for your book: When book-geek Phoebe finds out the hottest guy in the clarinet section is crushing on her, she turns to her fictional idols for advice.
    ■Genre and sub-genre: YA Contemporary
    ■Word count: 65 K now, will be approximately 70-75K
    ■Critique needs (eg: big picture feedback vs line edits): First draft: Big picture story flow, but I’m looking for a CP who would be willing to do line edits in later drafts. I’m willing to swap a few chapters and “queries/synopses” to see if we’re a good fit.
    ■Your name and email. Isabel Bandeira, c (dot) isabel (dot)bandeira(AT) gmail (dot) com

29. Emmy Neal Dec 5 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Crossover (The Crossover Initiative)

The Pitch: After being electrocuted beta-testing a top-secret virtual reality game, Blake finds out it’s not a game as he’s pulled between two collapsing universes.

(upper) YA science fiction

75,000 words!

Critique needs: Definitely big picture right now–pacing and tension, character, is the voice right for this story?

Emmy Neal
    lazylibra33 at gmail dot com 🙂

30. Tracy Dec 5 2012 at 5:33 pm #

One line pitch: To help a ghost find peace, a wimpy nerd investigates a century-old murder and uncovers a horrifying family secret.

Genre/subgenre: YA supernatural/thriller
    Word count: 75,000

Critique needs: overall picture; does it make any sense; is it interesting; should it be burned or queried; would like to discuss and be able to ask questions

Name: Tracy
    email: tracyspray[at]msn[dot]com

31. Gretchen Dec 5 2012 at 6:23 pm #

One Line Pitch: Sasha Thorn lives and breathes her work as a teenage spy for the CIA. On her first life or death mission, Sasha discovers two things: 1. her boyfriend is the son of the head of the CIA and 2. she doesn’t work for the CIA.

Genre/Sub Genre: YA Espionage

Word Count: I’m currently developing the outline but would love feedback on the outline

Critique: Making sure what’s in my head is making it to the page.

Name: Gretchen
    email me at: gretchenischreiber (at) gmail (dot) com

• CreativeA Dec 9 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Hey Gretchen, this doesn’t sound like quite my thing as far as critting goes, but I just wanted to comment and say that I loved your pitch! The things 1 and 2 — especially 2 — were excellent.

Good luck finding a crit partner! 🙂

-Mandy

32. Steph Dec 5 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Ahhhh! Thank you, thank you! I’m so excited about this post!!

(wish it were a) One line pitch: When Alan – Zoe’s magic mentor – gets in trouble just as she gets a lead on her missing father, she must not only decide whose life is worth more, but also which way she would prefer to die. An attempt to help Alan with her meager skills almost certainly means death, but so does betraying the unbreakable oath between them to follow the lead.

Genre and Sub-genre: YA Fantasy

WC: Currently 75k, but I’m heavily revising, cutting, adding.

Critique needs: Big picture at this point. Character/world development feedback. Also, one of the trickiest things for me is summing it up in one line objectively. I do that well for work that isn’t mine, but for my own stuff it’s so so tricky, so feedback on that after a read would be greatly appreciated.

Steph

pictorialpoet at gmail dot com

33. Eliza Dec 5 2012 at 7:15 pm #

This is such a fantastic opportunity! I’ve been trying to figure out how to find a critique partner who also writes YA for ages – thank you for posting this.

One-line pitch for your book:
    Lex takes the last rollercoaster ride of the day, and emerges from it into a shadowy world she doesn’t recognise at all. Now she’s stuck in Luna Park overnight with four kids from her class she barely knows. This new place is full of shadows, whispers and rides straight out of a history textbook, and it seems determined to make them see themselves – and each other – in a new light. Slowly, Lex realises that they have to find a way out before dawn. If they don’t, they might never get out at all…

YA Urban Fantasy, 80,000 word first draft

Critique needs (eg: big picture feedback vs line edits)

Big picture feedback, definitely. Whether the characters are consistent and believable. Whether you saw the plot twists coming. Pacing and tension. If it gels, holds together, and basically makes sense. If there are things you’d like to hear more about that I didn’t spend much time on, and if there are things I spend way too much time on. Any general feedback is welcome. I’m about to launch into a thorough revision that I’m planning to have done by January, but I’m happy to swap the first 50 pages or so to get a sense of each other’s writing style straight away and see how we go!

Eliza – email is eliza.tiernan at gmail dot com

I really hope I hear from some of you! So excited about this 🙂

34. Sarah Marie Dec 5 2012 at 8:38 pm #

One-line pitch: Of a girl called Wendy Darling, who has almost convinced herself that she is not lost, and a boy called Peter, clinging to forever as it slips between his fingers.

YA magical realism/coming-of-age
    Word count: around 18,000, but it’s only a baby and growing strong 😉

As it’s still a baby-novel, it mostly needs help with developing the characters, themes and world. I am a notoriously vague world-builder, and it would be nice to have some help pounding out the details. But at this stage it needs big picture issues, character arcs and plot arcs and all that jazz.

My name is Sarah, you can contact me at: zuzu[at]braveheartdesign[dot]com.

35. Carrie-Anne Dec 5 2012 at 9:08 pm #

I write historical, both adult and YA-ish. (Though some of my historicals are about teens, I’m having doubts as to whether they’d be considered real YA by modern standards.) Word counts for my books vary; I have some long, sweeping sagas that are over 300,000 words, mid-range historicals that are around 100,000-120,000, and the very short interlocking series books in my Atlantic City historicals, which are all under 100,000 words (in a few instances novella-sized). My books are all set during the 20th century, in America, Russia, and continental Europe.

I want someone for big picture, positive, constructive critiquing, like telling me if characters’ motivations and actions make sense and seem sympathetic, if the plot trajectory meshes well, if there are any plotholes, that sort of thing. I don’t want someone to nitpick every last word and line.

CarrieAnne79 (at) yahoo (dot) com

36. Elise S Dec 5 2012 at 11:15 pm #

Pitch: By day, Andromeda tries to survive her average teenage life- navigating crushes, venting with friends, and surviving high school; but by night she walks through her dreams with the mysterious boy Devin, all the while trying to uncover why she can communicate with him every night and the story of his past.

Genre: YA Romance/Fantasy

Word count: Currently 60,000 but by the time I finish the draft it will probably be around 80,000.

Critique needs: I often miss spelling and grammar errors so I really need a CP who can focus on catching these, but I could also use some feedback big picture to tell me if the overall story follows and makes sense.

My name is Elise. you can contact me at elise (dot) scanlan14 (at) gmail (dot) com

37. Katie Dec 6 2012 at 7:55 am #

–Pitch: Beneath the former Blue Ridge Mountains is a warrior with a secret that could kill her—and everyone she knows. In Crissa’s world, dream control technology has turned dreams deadly. When Tristan infiltrates her mind, is he controlling her, or can Crissa trust him with her life—and her heart?

–Genre: YA Sci-Fi/Adventure

–Word count: 106K

–Critique needs: Big picture and just any advice you have really! I’ve completed the draft, revised it several times, and had beta feedback. I’ve pitched to an editor and am about to start querying so i just want to be sure it’s in the best possible shape! I’m also working on writing my next project, which is a YA Contemp. I’m in law school mid-finals right now, though.

–Name&email: Katie socialkt7 (at) gmail (dot) com (@ktoshea on twitter! 🙂 )

As always, thanks so much PubCrawl! Y’all rock!

38. Rachel Dec 6 2012 at 9:57 am #

One-line pitch: In the kingdom of Serengard, over-thrown and exhiled ex-monarchy siblings start a fruitless effort to save the last few knights loyal to their family… and find their life expectations change drastically in the midst of the conflict.

Genre and subgenre: Adult/NA Epic Fantasy

Word Count: 80k (still revising, will be longer)

Critique needs: Big picture feedback

Your name and email: rachel.hollerback [at] gmail [dot] com

39. Krysta Man Dec 6 2012 at 2:30 pm #

This is awesome! I really want a critique partner for my WIP.

One-line pitch: Trapped in a traditional, isolationist country where words held power, Cyndia swears an oath of vengeance to search and bring justice to her mentor’s killers as an excuse to travel around the world.

Genre and subgenre: YA Fantasy/YA Adventure (at least, I’m hoping that I haven’t misjudged the genre)

Word count: 42k (working on the end of the draft, estimated word count 60k)

Critique needs: Big picture, any advice at all (including the tenses – seriously, how do people keep track of the tenses?/names), I would love to know where my plot holes are – especially if the hole is really big and deep, if the character motivation makes sense, if the ‘world’ draws you in, the major questions you have, favourite moments, boring moments, etc.

As this is my first draft, please be a bit gentle… I am willing to swap several ‘queries/synopsis/chapters’ to see if we are a good fit.

Name: Krysta
    Email: krystayo (at) gmail (dot) com

40. Lucie Dec 6 2012 at 6:45 pm #

I’m a little late to the party but hopefully some people are still looking 🙂

Two-line pitch (yeah, I know, cheating already): When Ava’s city is attacked by domestic terrorists, she has is stranded on one side of town, her baby on the other – and the only one who can help her is Oliver, the guy who got her pregnant and split (and if there’s one thing Ava knows about Oliver, it’s that he’s excellent at giving up). To make it across the city they’ll have to remember how they came together and finally face why they fell apart.

Genre: YA contemporary (with a non-linear story structure)

Word count: 75k

Looking for: I have a complete draft (on my third), looking for big picture stuff such as structure, particularly if the overlapping timelines work. I would of course love someone who could line edit too but that would just be an added bonus as this manuscript isn’t quite ready for that. I have great beta readers, but really need a crit partner. I enjoy all genres and am open to trading with someone who doesn’t write contemporary, as long as they still enjoy reading it!

Name: Lucie
    email: lucie.m.brooks (at) gmail.com

41. Elena Dec 6 2012 at 11:00 pm #

I wanted to say that while my own MS is not at the CP stage yet, I wish everyone luck matching up! Thank you for doing this- Great Post!

42. Hannah Jones Dec 7 2012 at 11:58 am #

Love this!! I’ve been trying to find a CP for ages now! These are some great resources, I’m definitely going to look into them.

One sentence pitch: Growing up in war torn France, Joan of Arc is just a typical, medieval teenager until, during the summer she turns thirteen, a Voice sent from God starts talking to her.
    MG, historical fiction
    35,000 (I know! Way too short! I desperately need help identifying where there are plot holes so I can boost that number.)
    Critique needs: Big picture. Up until a year ago, I was querying agents with this book and my query got A LOT of bites. But when they read the manuscript, most of the agents had the same vague complaint: they weren’t as invested in the story or the characters as they had thought they would be/wanted to be upon reading the query. So I understand there’s a problem–and after setting the book aside in a drawer for more than a year, when I read little sections I can tell that it needs a rewrite (it makes me cringe a bit to realize how terrible a writer I was back then, but I’m sure we all do that when reading older stuff)–but I’m struggling to see what needs improvement with my own eyes. What’s boring, what’s missing, what/who’s underdeveloped, pacing (I’ve been told it’s a little too fast…but where, exactly?), any big-picture advice would be great!!

I also write YA so I’d love to offer my critiquing services to either MG or YA, historical fiction, fantasy, contemporary…I really love it all. If you want to check out my reading habits on goodreads ( http://www.goodreads.com/HannahKarena) I think that’s a pretty good idea to get a feel of whether or not I read books that are comparable to your manuscript. I feel if we read/like the same sort of published books, we’d like critiquing each others WIPs too!
    Hannah
    HannahKJones [at] yahoo [dot] com

• Heather Dec 7 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Hi Hannah,
      Your story sounds intriguing…I can see why it got lots of interest from agents. I write MG and YA fantasy. I currently have a YA that’s complete, but wouldn’t mind getting input on it. And I’m working on a MG that could use feedback. Looking for big picture stuff…where it drags, character development, etc, not so much line edits.
      I tried your email address but for some reason it didn’t work. Mine is heathercq(at)gmail(dot)com.
      Hope to hear from you.
      Heather

• Hannah Jones Dec 7 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Whoops! Just noticed I forgot a critical part of my email: it’s actually HannahKJones10 [at] yahoo [dot] com. I’ll definitely be emailing you, Heather, nice to meet you!

Hannah

43. Heather Dec 7 2012 at 4:01 pm #

This is great. I’d love to find a CP…or two.
    Pitch: Sixteen-year-old Becca Ford thought her affinity for plants was nothing special. When she realizes she can control them, Becca fights corrupt wizards to reach a society with answers about her past and the origins of her ability.
    Genre: YA fantasy
    Word count: 73,000
    Looking for: Big picture stuff. Where it drags, character development, and just overall does the story keep you interested.
    Name: Heather Raglin
    email: heathercq(at)gmail(dot)com

44. Amanda Waldo Dec 7 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Pitch: Lydia is the granddaughter of the head librarian in a small town who is perfectly content with her quiet and solitary life. She’s shocked to find a gift waiting for her on her 17th birthday from her long absent mother. What’s inside is even more surprising – a necklace that has chosen Lydia to become Empress of a continent that grows more corrupt with each day. She’s lost at what she should do with this new burden, until a dangerous gang makes her decision for her. Lydia finds herself a part of something bigger than she ever dreamed she’d be.

Genre: YA Fantasy

Word count: 79k, but currently going through rewrite

Critique needs: I need somebody to help me with big picture stuff. As mentioned above, I’m currently pacing myself through a full rewrite. I need to know what makes sense and would like a second opinion on how it flows. It would be nice to get an opinion from somebody who hasn’t been looking at this manuscript as long as I have.

Name: Amanda Waldo

Email: awaldo31 (at) yahoo (dot) com

45. Zoe Dec 8 2012 at 11:00 pm #

Genre: I write contemporary YA novels in verse. Apparently this makes me a very lonely writer. My major problem has been finding CPs interested in critiquing this style. If you are, you should contact me. You don’t have to also write in verse, although that would be neat.

Pitch: It’s about a teenage girl whose father dies after giving her a promise/purity ring and how she struggles to keep the promise she made him even after he’s gone.

Word Count: 25,000 (That’s not a typo, it’s in verse)

Looking For: Any areas you have comments on, and more specific comments if something stands out to you for whatever reason.

Name: Zoe

Contact me: thenextbookblogger(at)gmail(dot)com

46. Q Dec 9 2012 at 12:23 am #

Great idea! I’m a few days late, it looks like, but I’ll throw this in just in case. ^_^

In a world where impurity is a punishable offense, Serenity Palmer stumbles across a secret that can get her killed. The city’s virtue enforcers aren’t scanning thoughts for impurities—they’re scanning for magic.

(Secondary-world fantasy… think Puritans with magic. Or for the more imaginative among you, if Beauty and the Beast, Romeo and Juliet, Joan of Arc, Hogwarts, and the Puritans had a giant orgy in a circus tent, the result would be my book.)

YA Dark Fantasy
    88k (Give or take. I just cut it down from 91k, but am planning on writing a new scene, so it will probably end up back around 91k.)

Big picture stuff, definitely. Character arcs, pacing, plot holes, world-building, voice. There’s a section of about four chapters in the middle that seems a bit draggy to me, but I’m way too close to make the necessary cuts. 😉
    I have a couple of CPs who are absolutely awesome, but I’d like a big-picture person who can be BRUTAL. I’m a tough cookie; I can take it.

Also, this is pretty dark at times. There’s murder and torture, so if you don’t like the heavy stuffs, we’re probably not a match. <3

qwashburn AT gmail DOT com

47. Link Dec 9 2012 at 3:18 am #

Excellent idea! I’m still doing my own edits on the novel but it’s getting close to being seen by other eyes. So…

One-line pitch for your book: Henly is a chimney sweep with the ability to bring soot to life. So when he meets Blake, who shares his magical skill, a close bond quickly develops. Together, they must face challenges from an unknown killer who’s targeting the chimney sweeps, while also facing the possibility that child-labour laws may pass, thereby making them both homeless.
    Genre and sub-genre: Fantasy, young adult.
    Word count: 75,000 ish
    Critique needs: Line edits, mainly. Spelling and grammar, and even phrasing too. I tend to find my phrasing sometimes off.
    Your name and email: Lincoln, email is lincoln(dot)s(dot)law(AT)gmail(Dot)com

48. Jessi Esparza Dec 9 2012 at 4:01 pm #

One-line pitch: Most teenage girls hate their mothers at some point. But, unlike Belinda, most girls’ mothers aren’t literally from Hell.
    Genre and sub-genre: Young Adult Supernatural
    Word count: 66k, WIP
    Critique needs: Big picture. Are the characters relatable? Does the plot make sense? Are there any glaring issues that I haven’t noticed but should have?
    Your name: Jessi
    Email: jessi(dot)esparza(at)gmail(dot)com,

49. CreativeA Dec 9 2012 at 8:07 pm #

Looks like I’m a few days late to this, too, but here goes!

Pitch: This is the story of a girl who doesn’t belong anywhere, who sleeps in burgundy theater curtains and floats above the city, searching for the only friend she ever had. The friend who disappeared the day she needed him most. Toby. Thing is? Toby’s been looking for her, too. Now sixteen and following the clues buried in his dad’s old camera, Toby sets out on a quest to find the mysterious disappearing girl of his childhood–and keep her safe from the crime family claiming her as one of their own.

Genre: YA Magic realism (with romantic elements.)

Wordcount: 60,000 / 80,000

Critique needs: Since I’m currently working on the first draft, I’m looking for someone to swap crappy-first-draft chapters with for motivation and constructive criticism, but I’m also looking for someone who would be willing to beta for me in the future about the big stuff as well as line edits — and someone who I could reciprocate with. I really am looking for a critique partner, for this project, and whatever comes next. But definitely want to start with swapping chapters 🙂 (And note that despite writing primarily YA, I also read a fair amount of MG, so I would be willing to crit that as well.)

Mandy – HeadDeskForWriters (at) gmail (dot) com

50. Alli Dec 9 2012 at 8:08 pm #

■One-line pitch: After Hailey’s mother loses her in a poker bet, she’s on the run with childhood crush to find safety with her absent father.
    ■Genre and sub-genre: YA Contemporary
    ■Word count: Currently 54k-ish
    ■Critique needs: Big picture feedback. Does it all make sense, the world and the characters motives.
    ■Your name and email: Alli – magnet4taken at gmail dot com

51. Melody Dec 9 2012 at 8:58 pm #

Thanks Erin for this post!

Pitch: In an alternate society, a group of teenagers fight to stop the rise in price of virtues before virtues run out and the country comes to its downfall.

Genre: YA sci-fi

Word Count: 80k words

Critique Needs: Big picture feedback – character & relationship development, world building, plot holes, pacing, what needs to be fleshed out/cut, & finally line edits (if you are interested). Please point out EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that you think I can improve on and any questions you have after reading.

Name & Email: Melody & melodylsimpson(at)gmail(dot)com (Also on Twitter @melodysimpson)

52. Addie Dec 10 2012 at 1:54 pm #

This is a great post! I’m pretty freaked about sharing my writing with *anyone* – so I think a critique partner would probably be a great idea. Get me “out of the closet,” know what I mean?

One Sentence Pitch: A seventeen-year-old princess travels north to fulfill a bargain made by her father. If she marries the king of a savage warrior clan, they will, in turn, protect her country from a fearsome creature thought only to exist in legend.
    Genre: YA fantasy (heavier on the “romantic adventure” stuff, lighter on the “wands & wizards” stuff)
    Word Count: 30,000 – it’s a work in progress, but I would LOVE to critique the work of others!
    Critique Needs: Be mean. Really mean! I’m a harsh (but honest) critic and I need that in return. Big-picture stuff (is this making as much sense to you as it is to me?), and scene-by-scene stuff (does the romantic tension need to be there? How about the ice monster? Does *that* need to be there?). I’ll provide whatever you want, without the saccharin.
    Name & Email: Addie, adria [dot] alberico [at] live [dot] com

53. Darya Asch Dec 12 2012 at 9:44 am #

I’m currently writing the sequel to my epublished debut novel SERPENT ON A CROSS. The sequel is working titled Veil of Menace.

Pitch: Having defeated Lord Tarkan Maksimov and his golem-like constructs in magical battle, 17-year-old Dennah’s plan to rescue the Jews captive in Tarkan’s silver mines goes awry when she’s confronted with just who – and what – is behind Tarkan’s unnatural powers. (I know this is a bit vague – sorry – still working on narrowing my 1-page summary down into a one sentence hook of some sort.)

Genre & sub-genre: YA Historical (Medieval) fantasy
    Word Count: Projected to be approx 90,000
    Critique needs: Big picture feedback, scene/chapter feedback. (I’m good with the line edits, it’s the “this story is crap!” – and why you think that – or “awesome story, press on!” – and what’s working – feedback I’m looking for)

My name: Darya Asch.
    My email: darya[dot]asch[at]gmail[dot]com

54. Axie Dec 12 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Short pitch: In the year 2289, 18-year old Jaewon gets recruited into the Tower, the leading site for weapons development in the Republic of Corea, let alone the whole of East Asia. He’s determined to skate by, get through his Internship, and never look back, but that was before he meets Tera, the ROC’s greatest and most guarded weapon, a girl with hair the color of midnight.

Genre: YA Science Fiction

Word Count: It’s a work in progress, so 33,000 words and counting. Projected to be around 80-85,000 words

Critique needs: Is it confusing? After all, I’m both science fiction worldbuilding as well as setting it in a non-Anglo setting, that is, South Korea in the future, in the city of neo-Seoul. Is it believable? Is my MC likable (it’s in 1st person POV)? Pacing, everything, whatever, anything. As for me, my critiques are usually whatever I want to say. (Whether I think your boy is swoon-worthy or whether I think that semi-colon should be out of there!) I’m a super diplomatic giver of critiques, which means I’m never mean. I try to make every critique constructive. I also like to say what I like when I’m reading because, why not?

As for me, I’m 23, almost fresh out of college (graduated in June). I’ve interned at a literary agency (Writers House), am a member of SCBWI, and just adore YA and Middle Grade books.

Contact Me: gdkgents(at)gmail(dot)com

And my name’s Axie.

55. Rod Griffiths Dec 18 2012 at 5:57 am #

One line pitch, well one sentence anyway.
    A herd of cattle are slaughtered and by chance the concentrated fear leaks into a ley-line and moves slowly across the country, a malevolent force, causing chaos and disaster where ever it encounters a susceptible mind.

Genre Mystery / horror

52,250 words as done for NaNoWriMo, but increasing with revisions.
    Critique needs:- Comments on the big picture, the story arc, the voice, and whether I should make it into a full sized novel

rod dot griff at gmail dot com

56. L.B.Shire Jan 5 2013 at 7:19 pm #

Very very late in this, but thought I’d give it a try!
    Pitch: Chancy Mallory, the only Mallory child left alive, must convince her father she’s capable of continuing the Mallory Ranches legacy. She’s determined to capture a rare wild mustang of Indian heritage to show him she’s just as capable as any ranch hand. When Nick Stone steps into the picture, will he help her cause, or ruin her chances to prove herself? This story I would say is similar to The Man from Snowy River/Flica.

Genre: YA/Western Historical Romance

Still a WIP. Target is 50,000 and at 33,000. Looking for a CP who likes horses and who wants to stick together for a while. I love all YA, especially fantasy and paranormal/shifter stories. Grammar is my low point, still working at that, but good with most everything else. If interested and want to swap a few chapters to see if we’d be a fit, please feel free to contact me. lsbookcrazy(at)yahoo(dot)com. Please put interested cp in subject line too.

57. Hope Jan 12 2013 at 5:52 pm #

One-line pitch: In a preindustrial future, a young man fights to save his country from a false god and her followers.

Genre and subgenre: Adult Sci-fi/Low Fantasy

Word Count: Um… 277,000 words and counting. (It’s actually three books that haven’t been divided up yet…)

Critique needs: Everything. I especially need someone to bounce new ideas off of – a sounding board, whose opinion I trust and who can help me nip stupid impulses in the bud or foster the good ones.

Your name and email: Hope, rocketsrock @ hotmail . com

58. Jessica Jan 14 2013 at 4:23 pm #

Your book sounds very interesting! I haven’t written a pitch of my own on here, but I’m writing an adult novel. Not really sure how I will categorize it though. It’s a paranormal fiction novel with action and a bit of a love story. Basically demons, angels, and humans. Anyway, I will post an official pitch on here in just a little bit. Your story caught my eye though.

59. Jessica Jan 14 2013 at 4:24 pm #

jrepittman[at]yahoo[dot]com

60. C Spencer-Upton Jan 19 2013 at 5:52 am #

One-line pitch for your book: New girl, new school, new life. finally experiencing life as she should when she’s thrust into a mythological world.
    Genre and sub-genre : YA and Fantasy
    Word count: Unknown
    Critique needs: I need someone to look through, help with wording, flow and point out what works and what can make something work that don’t
    Your name and email : Caroline c.spencerupton at gmail dot com

• C Spencer-Upton Jan 19 2013 at 6:06 am #

If ANYONE is interested in helping me, email me
      i really need someone to look at the context. i’ve got someone to help with my terrible punctuation/grammar

61. Jessica Jan 26 2013 at 4:09 am #

Pitch- Elizabeth must prove her innocence in her cousins’ homicide before she’s executed – her only clue – a note left by a tracker who can’t be tracked.

Genre – paranormal romance

I’m looking for big picture and everything else in between.

Email- qngung [at] gmail [dot] com

62. Wanda Jan 27 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Pitch: “It’s gotten to the point where I really wonder why I always ending up falling for the wrong people, specifically, a guy in love with his gorgeous ex. Well, and why George Lucas ever made those prequels. But that’s a different story.”

Genre: Romance/slash
    Subgenre: Contemporary

Word Count: 156,125

Critique needs: I have a degree in English writing, so I think I’m pretty good on grammar (though of course we all make common typos that need fixed!). At this point, I need critique on the content and the “big picture”. I have a tendency to ramble, so I need someone to tell me when to shut up, aha.

Name: Wanda
    Email: pseudocide335 at yahoo (dot) com

63. Krystal M. Jan 29 2013 at 11:17 pm #

■ When 17 year old Layla Summers meets Derrick, he claims he is the Greek God of War, Ares, and that she is his chosen mortal warrior destined to help him tip the scales in an ancient war between the Gods.
    ■Genre and sub-genre (eg: YA sci-fi) YA Fantasy
    ■Word count 25,000 (and still going!)
    ■Critique needs (eg: big picture feedback vs line edits) general critiquing of the plot, structure, etc.
    ■Your name and email Krystal and you can contact me at: krystal_maestas[at]yahoo[dot]com

— note: be sure to write out the @ and . in your email so the bots don’t get to it. eg: you[at]yours[dot]com

64. Anne Jan 31 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Genre: Paranormal Romance. YA/Adult
    90,000 word count

Pitch: When construction worker, Sam Daggett, attempts to push an attractive jogger, Gretta Dobbs, away from a falling tree, the world becomes still. In the presence of Gretta’s ancestor from the 19th century, the two agree to go back in time to collect information on a cursed ring…a ring now resting on Gretta’s finger.

I am looking for a beta reader and or CP that is interested in paranormal/suspense/romance. Any comments are welcome but especially looking for big picture/does this grab you? and or make sense comments. Line edits always welcome.

I love editing and would welcome to do the same for a partner.

annebrocole(at)gmail(dot)com

• Susan Feb 16 2013 at 11:16 pm #

Ann wondering if anyone has responded so far? I posted below would love to swap.

65. Susan Feb 16 2013 at 11:14 pm #

PITCH : 1st in series–Sara is a shy yet hardheaded girl of nineteen meets a man and soon she finds out he is not who he appears to be. She is forced into this new life and struggles to find out why she is so important. She is thrown into this new world and is forced to figure out what is true, what is real and if magic really exists, again. All the while, she wants to know what her role is in this twisting and turning love tale. Could her first love really be her true love?
    Fantasy/Romance
    47,447 words
    Do you fall in love with the characters? Does it make you want to read the series? Edits are welcome since I changed the point of view part of the way through.

66. Allan Feb 18 2013 at 2:46 pm #

At 14 years, Abbey is a self-diagnosed spook magnet. Yeah, she sees dead people.
    Abbey’s ghostly experiences have cost her dearly, leaving her scarred and friendless. Alone after her mother’s mysterious disappearance and her father’s last-minute business trip, Abbey is stranded at River Falls church camp for the summer. What could go wrong at church camp? For starters, the camp is actually a boot camp for troubled teens. It gets worse. Abbey’s spook magnet has gone haywire as someone—or something—is reaching out to her. It quickly escalates into a paranormal freakshow with a field of dead frogs, a ghostly stalker and mysterious symbols carved into the wall. Abbey’s attempts to decode the message reveals a secret from her mother’s past, a secret with the potential to bring her mother back as well as save Abbey and her new friends. That is, if she can trust the message—kind of like trusting the safety message from a shop teacher with missing fingers. Abbey is not a happy camper.

Middle Grade, 55,700 words

Looking for an appraising eye for grammar, suggestions, what-were-you-thinking questions, and random thoughts and suggestions.
    allan at docevans dot com

67. andre Mar 7 2013 at 1:24 pm #

PITCH: With the Gods’ champion and only son, Aegis, vanished without a trace, and a vatic sign of rising doom painting the night skies above the mystical kingdom of Antesia, four unlikely heroes rise to uncover the truth behind the genesis of the coming blight, and search to discover the power needed to stave it.

GENRE: Adult Fantasy / Historical (some very adult themes, so if you’re squeamish or easily offended, please do not apply)

WORD COUNT: 200,000+

I am looking for a beta reader and/or CP that is very familiar with the adult fantasy genre. This is a quite complex fantasy story with many intersecting plot lines, as well as sub plots that may or may not be clearly defined (hence the CP request). This manuscript has already been line edited by a professional editor, so that isn’t needed, but I really am looking for honest feedback on whether the overall story works, is intriguing, if there are areas that should be cut out or better defined, etc.

My email is: andresergoyan (@) gmail (dot) com

68. andre Mar 8 2013 at 4:03 pm #

PITCH: Take the passenger seat on a demented ride into the mind of madness—and never mind what is in the trunk…
    A Lion for Lambs is a psychological thriller set in modern times, and told from the perspective of a questionably sane protagonist. Chronicling the terrifying events of his “mission” across America—a mission to reach the site of some mysterious map coordinates—it quickly becomes apparent that the farther he travels the more his delirium evolves, and his secrets unravel.

GENRE: Horror/ Psychological Thriller (Adult material)

WORD COUNT: 32,000

I am looking for a CP to help me get this manuscript ready for publication submission. It is a bit short at present (originally written as a short story that is now in novella/novel no man’s land). I’m hoping to find a partner who can provide feedback on areas where it needs more polish, more detail, etc, so I can hopefully bump it up to 40k words without unecessary fluff.

andresergoyan (@) gmail (dot) com

69. Anna Read Mar 18 2013 at 8:13 am #

Genre: historical romance (set in WWII.)
    Critique needs: anything you can help with from big picture to detail!
    Word Count: 66,000
    My email is anna m read at gmail dot com. (without spaces)

Thanks!

70. Len Berry Mar 21 2013 at 3:00 pm #

When a group of linguists make contact with a new species, they find themselves on a quest for a secret that could rip galactic society apart.

TESSERACT is a science fiction dealing with language, history, and the differences and similarities between species.

Current word count is around 140,000 words, though this is a first draft.

I’m looking for overall feedback. I want to make sure my plot works and that each of the four POV characters has a plausible and compelling character arc.

If you’d like to hear more, let me (Len Berry) know with an email to lentberry[at]gmail[dot]com

71. Nicole Blanchard Apr 17 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Pitch: A young woman must save her country, her family and herself from a world intent upon it’s own destruction.

Genre: YA fantasy (steampunk/romance/adventure)

Word count: Aiming for 60-80k

Critique needs: Help brainstorming. An idea-bouncer-offer. Cheerleader, story pacing, flow.

Email: nsblanchard at live dot com

72. Kyle Brittain Apr 30 2013 at 10:17 pm #

Seventeeen year old Lux Carter finds herself on a space station orbiting the earth, trapped in a web of lies, danger and a conspiracy that could destroy the lives of everyone involved.

YA sci-fi

Word count: Lies is complete at 48 186

Critique needs: Big-Picture. I’m looking for someone who can tell me what questions they have- what they don’t understand, how they feel about characters and their realationships, and the plot overall.

Kyle Brittain: art_in_motion(at)hotmail(dot)ca

73. Terrence May 11 2013 at 6:50 pm #

Superb blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew
    of any discussion boards that cover the same topics discussed in
    this article? I’d really like to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Cheers!

74. Antonietta May 28 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Pitch: 23 year old Kaliffa closes the door and walks away after she discovers her mother’s body. The only thing left to console her is a letter and a key to finding out who she really is.

Word Count: 5,000-ish (just started)

Genre: Adult Fantasy/dysotopian

Critique Needs: Big Picture…and anything in between.

Email: ntc17 (at) yahoo (dot) com

75. andre Jun 13 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Is anyone on this actually looking for a CP or beta reader? I’ve had posts up here for months, responded to some of your posts, and nothing. Not a single reply. Anyone serious about this or can anyone recommend a site where I can find a serious CP? Getting kind of desperate here.

• Allan Evans (@EvansW Jun 13 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Goodreads has been the answer for me. I’ve found plenty of great beta readers there. http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/50920-beta-reader-group

• Chelle Ang Jun 13 2013 at 4:12 pm #

How can I help you?
      Chelle Ang

• andre Jun 13 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Hi Chelle,

Are you interested in being a CP? If so, my email is andresergoyan (at) gmail (dot) com

We can trade writing and see if there is a fit. And thanks for the quick reply.

• Heather Jun 13 2013 at 5:39 pm #

There’s a site called CP Seek (cpseek.com) that you might find helpful. Good luck!

76. rifle shooting Jun 15 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?

My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months
    of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

77. long range target Jun 20 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images
    on this blog loading? I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
    Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

78. Kate Ayre Campbell Aug 17 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Ali meets Ross at a party and loses her heart to him. The two are caught up in cultural tensions as they struggle to create a life with one another. A criminal is preying on young women in the area, complicating their lives.
    The story has about 25,000 words. This is an adult work with sexual content. I’m looking for content feedback.

79. John D. Aug 28 2013 at 5:25 pm #

Not too late on this hopefully!

Warning: My story depicts war in a brutal and semi-realistic fashion. Discretion for the faint of heart is advised.

My war story is a jumpstart for a planned series, which each installment leaning to different genres. (Only part one is a war story, for example.)

PITCH: Childhood friends are separated and drafted into becoming child soldiers to fight the Great War on land, sea, and air. As war and empire and prejudice tear their world apart, and the long years trickle by, how far will they go just to see each other again?

GENRE: Hard to shoehorn to genres. Let’s say: semi-historical war story (but set on a fantasy world with some steampunk/dieselpunk elements). Might also arguably count as a coming-of-age YA story for both genders.

WORD COUNT: WIP so I don’t know yet, sorry. It will be a long novel but certainly not a doorstopper.

CRITIQUE NEEDS: I’m set on the big picture, plot and the POV characters, but everything else is fair game. Especially characters, pacing, setting. Are some of the fantasy names too confusing? Is the worldbuilding confusing? Is the pace that bad? Do the characters stand out the way they’re supposed to? Mutual support is welcomed as I’m rather new to all this (I’ve been writing for years, but this is the first time I’m looking for a partner, because people that I know aren’t honest or constructive or critical enough).

EMAIL: You’re more than welcome to contact me at: prolix _ plotbunny [at] live [dot] com (Underscore included, no spaces of course)

Although what I’m writing currently is more fantasy rather than, say, science fiction, I don’t belong in one demographic and am open to read most fiction, so don’t be shy. I would be much more worried about my story being much more niche than yours. If you have any unanswered questions concerning what you’re looking for in a CP, by all means ask.

80. Ruth Sep 4 2013 at 10:20 am #

Ok, here goes (scary!):

One-line pitch: September and her people live off the land in the mountains, eschewing all but the most environmentally-friendly technology, while in the valley below live the Ellayers, dependent on technology for their every need.  There appears to be no connection between the two groups, but September learns differently during her coming-of-age journey to the outskirts of Ellay.

genre and sub-genre: YA post-apocalyptic

count: 2,000 This much is ready to be seen. It is a short story which I believe will be the intro or prologue to a novel of about 60,000 to 75,000 words. Novel outline being worked on now.

critique needs: I want to know if the story grabs you and if you would like to read more within this world. Any and all feedback welcome.

name and email address: Ruth ruth (dot) augustine (at) gmail (dot) com

81. Nancy White Jul 18 2014 at 7:13 pm #

Indian Territory (Oklahoma) 1874–Helly MacPherson flees her abusive stepfather and an arranged marriage on the eve of her wedding. She dreams of going west, teaching school and never being subjugated by another man the rest of her life. Lion Durant, a deputy U.S. Marshal Lighthorseman in Indian Territory, is on the trail of Jim Reed who murdered his fiancée two years ago. When Lion spots Helly riding in the middle of the night following Reed’s trail, the same trail he’s following, and she matches the description of Reed’s wife, he can’t believe his luck.
    Genre: Romantic Historical Western
    85k
    Critique needs: Need big picture critique. Story arc problems? believable characters? Plot okay? Where does the story lose you, if it does? Dialogue? Any suggestions welcome.
    Nancy White
    t75nlw1@gmail.com

82. Ssweetred Jan 17 2015 at 12:13 am #

Pitch: 19 year old Olivia is overwhelmed by her family tragedies and people understanding her fails to see her purpose in life, in the human world at least…

Genre: YA (Fiction/Fantasy/Romance

Word Count:Roughly 19,000

Critique Needs: would like to know if you can visualize and understand characters kinda put yourself in their shoes, if you enjoy it and would like to see more.

Email- jamnesia22(at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks in advance

83. Shante Sep 11 2015 at 9:57 pm #

One-line pitch for your book: Title code name = HCM, about a twelve-year-old boy with a heart condition, a best friend in a wheelchair, a smart, cute girl at the library, and an older sister who just announced she has a girlfriend, set in a very religious community.

Genre and sub-genre: contemporary YA. (Also have ideas for magical realism, fantasy, sci-fi, and history)

Word count: Writing Draft 2. Currently at 7K. Aiming for 60K.

Critique needs: Big picture feedback. I can handle the grammar. 😉

Your name and email: french.verb[at]yahoo[dot]com.

84. Victoria hunter Oct 28 2015 at 7:26 am #

Poetry that explores several of the human senses in a new way, and tells a story. Most focused on specific techniques learned in school, such as metaphor (conciet), persona, and selected forms.
    Genre and sub-genre: poetry
    Pages: 45 (does not exceed 1800 words)
    Critique needs: big picture, the poems set up is also needing critique.
    Your name and email — slippingnotes at yahoo dot com

85. Victoria hunter Oct 28 2015 at 7:27 am #

My email did not post right. Please use this post to contact me.

Genre and sub-genre: poetry
    Pages: 45 (does not exceed 1800 words)
    Critique needs: big picture, the poems set up is also needing critique.
    Your name and email — slippinnotes at yahoo dot com

86. Tiffany Jan 17 2016 at 10:16 am #

One line pitch: Cate McCray should be enjoying married life with her new husband, Jason. But their arrival in a new city soon has them stumbling headlong into a new case with dangerous reaches into the very people who govern their world.

Title: Denai Bound: Excalibar Investigation Series

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Word count: 95,000

Critique: Mainly just want feedback before publication.

Name and email: Tiffany tiffany2332 at gmail.com dot com

87. Sally Mar 1 2016 at 3:57 pm #

One line pitch: A world torn by nuclear wars, a fight between good and evil and the responsibility of restoring balance falls solely on three individuals; a being who is thought to be the incarnation of the earth’s spirit, her guardian and their wacky sociopath of a traveling companion.

Title: Unsure yet.

Genre: Post-Apocalyptic, fantasy, science fiction-ish.

Word count: almost 30k – Unfinished.

Critique: Writing style, pacing feedback, character feedback.

name and email: Sally – sfashary[at]gmail[dot]com

88. Melissa Metzger May 30 2016 at 10:01 pm #

I have finally started writing! It is very exciting so here it goes:

One-line pitch for your book: Ziva was just trying to get by after the big Seattle earthquake until her life continued to be shaken when she discovered she had been kidnapped at a young age, mind tortured, and really descended from a great pirate family.

Genre and sub-genre: Urban Fantasy (most likely)

Word count: Right now 4,284 (but just starting chapter 3)

Critique needs: Big picture, character development, pacing

Your name and email: mametzgerauthor at gmail dot com

89. Jordan Davis Dec 4 2016 at 12:50 am #

Erin, Thank you for your article! I will approach differently in looking for a partner. Here is my ad. If the call of the heart matches, the differences could be ironed out later!

Looking for a Critique Partner for a live real time every day exchange of a work in progress (submit to each other as we write) to hold each other responsible and to tenderly hold each other when stumbling… Writing is a lonely business, but if I only had 1 (ONE), just one person who’d fall in love with my work, I will respond with the same.

Then I will not need the adoration of the crowds, because I will be looking into your eyes, having given you all the adoration that I have. Do you feel as lonely as I am? Will you give me your hand? Your age, gender, ethnicity, or even genre does not matter. All it matters is that you have a kind heart that has the ability to be loving and caring for another’s work. Please write griffingarcon at gmail.com Jordan