Writing Tools We Couldn’t Survive Without

Survival! 2012 got us all thinking about it.  Now that we’ve made it through to 2013, we here at Pub(lishing) Crawl asked ourselves:

What are the writing /working tools we couldn’t survive without?

Erin Bowman

Mine is Scrivener, hands down. I don’t know how I wrote before that program. It has literally changed my life.

(Also, I must include my writer friends. Because seriously, I would be lost (and completely insane) if it weren’t for the support of fellow writer besties.)

Kat Zhang

Yesss, Scrivener! Drafting in it is optional for me (I actually prefer drafting in Pages…as well as doing final line-edit type edits in Pages), but doing big, structural changes? Scrivener all the way!

Susan Dennard

So, I will just throw in another shout-out for the amazingness that is Scrivener. BUT, the one thing I really couldn’t survive without is my music. I could write by hand, if I had to, but I couldn’t write without all my tunes (and a way to hear them, of course!). Heck, I’m not even sure I could live without music either!!

Jordan Hamessley London

Over the past few months, I’ve been using rainymood.com when I’m editing in the office. It helps me tune out all the office sounds and lets me focus on the words. Depending on the manuscript, I’ll also play some music on top of the rain sounds, usually just piano concertos, but when I’m editing something scary I tend to listen to requiems or Camille Saint-Saëns’s Danse Macabre. Obviously, when I’m editing my series about band geeks I listen to a lot of french horns or concert band music. Can you tell that I was a total music nerd in a past life?

Also, there is NO way I could keep track of everything I have to do without my planner. I have a great calendar that has the days of the week on the left side of the spread and a to-do list on the right side. I would be lost without it.

Jodi Meadows

Others have already said Scrivener, which is also one of my most necessary writing tools, but lately I’ve been discovering a new one I don’t know how I lived without for so long: Goodreader for iPad. I turn manuscripts into PDF files, then mark them up like I would if they were manuscripts on paper. This has been super useful for me when I’m line editing and when I’m critiquing. And even though I’m still looking at a screen to read the manuscript, it feels like getting away from the computer to work, which is nice.

Marie Lu

I agree with the music thing. I must have some sort of soundtrack playing, even if it’s just the sound of tides or rushing water. I also love having a sketchbook nearby. When I get stuck on writing, I like being able to doodle a bit in order to get the creativity going again.

Amie Kaufman

I couldn’t live without my lava lamp. It takes about an hour to warm up, so when I’m struggling to get things done and I sit down to write, I tell myself my butt has to stay in that chair until the wax had melted and the lava lamp is doing its awesomely retro thing. No snacks, no walks, no standing up to plug the router back in. Just words!

Vanessa Di Gregorio

This is going to sound pretty lame, but I couldn’t live without my phone (for work AND for writing). I’m out and about a lot, and while I lug my laptop and iPad with me EVERYWHERE, if I need to make a note for work, or keep track of my appointments, or GPS my way around my territory (especially when it comes to finding all-day breakfast places), or write down the bits of dialogue or parts of scenes that pop into my head at random, my phone is my lifeline. No more scrambling at my bedside table or through my purse for a pen and paper (and then forgetting everything when I finally do find it), or giving up when the urge for pancakes kicks in (happens all the time when I sell my list). No more forgetting where I’m supposed to be and at what time, or which ARCs I need to send someone, etc. My phone is my go-to for it all.

Biljana Likic

A dictionary/thesaurus is probably one of the very few things I would not be able to go without. It can drive me absolutely insane if I have the idea of the word but can’t remember what the word actually is. Also, Wikipedia for quick and general fact-checking, and this website for names: http://www.behindthename.com/

And like Erin said, writer friends. Definitely something I would never be able to sacrifice. 🙂

Sarah J. Maas

I’m going to echo both Erin and Sooz: The two things I couldn’t live without are music (music inspires 95% of my stories) and my writer-friends. I honestly couldn’t function as a writer/human being without either. <3

Leigh Bardugo

Noise-cancelling headphones, and this is so old school, but I couldn’t live without those little three subject spiral notebooks. I buy one in a new color for each new book and each big revision. I also need my whiteboard. In fact, I fantasize about having an office with just whiteboards for walls.

Julie Eshbaugh

The tool I couldn’t survive without would be my new Kindle. It allows me to take my current draft wherever I go to review, highlight, etc. LOVE IT!

What about you guys, PubCrawl readers? What tools do you need to survive? Also, we are giving away a set of two moleskine notebooks—great tools for writers, readers, and just about anyone! Enter with the Rafflecopter form below:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

93 Responses to Writing Tools We Couldn’t Survive Without

1. Marc Vun Kannon Jan 18 2013 at 6:23 am #

Just me and my Word will do it. I have all of my story running live in my head, plus I reread the most recent material constantly, so anything that needs to change to support chapter 15 I know where to make those changes. I started training my memory when I was 15. I can’t listen to music with words though. Those parts of my brain seem to be too highly linked, music stops me from thinking of text. Sometimes when I’m trying really hard to write I start hearing music in my head. Very frustrating.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 7:00 am #

I can’t have music with words playing, either. :/ In fact, I’m always looking for suggestions of instrumental/classical. And like you, I love good ole Word.

• Marc Vun Kannon Jan 18 2013 at 9:43 am #

I don’t generally listen to anything, but if I was to start experimenting I’d start with the Brandenburgs. I have a bunch of baroque stuff on CD so I’d work my way through that.

2. Emmy Neal Jan 18 2013 at 6:35 am #

I live inside of Scrivener! I absolutely love it for drafting and editing. LOVEEEEE!
    The other item is my journal(s). Pen and paper helps me when I have trouble. Writing ideas or brainstorming or outlines or anything at all goes in the journal. I but them in rainbow color order so they look awesome stacked on my shelves 😉 In 4 years I’ve filled 7 and hopefully those stories help clear my head or grow new ideas!!!

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 7:01 am #

I love the idea of the rainbow notebooks! I may try that. 🙂

3. Jessica Jan 18 2013 at 6:43 am #

I HAVE to have music playing if I’m planning to focus for any longer than five seconds ( I have a specific playlist for my current novel that helps me get in the mood). I love Scrivener but I’ve found it too distracting when I’m writing my first draft so I’m saving it for revisions. 🙂

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 7:03 am #

Hey Jessica! I’ve heard the same thing about Scrivener from others. People seem to use it differently, depending on their personal style. Thanks for commenting!

4. Lauren M. Barrett Jan 18 2013 at 7:12 am #

I need to not have the internet on, but I have very little willpower so I do my best writing on the train. For this I need my laptop and noise canceling headphones to get in the zone.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:05 am #

Great ideas, Lauren! I often unplug the router so I can’t get on the internet. 🙂

5. Loie Jan 18 2013 at 8:26 am #

Ohhh, good to hear all about Scrivener! A writing friend of mine recommended it so I’ve just downloaded the trial version!! Very excited to check it out 😀

Hmmm….I’d say coffee is essential, or something to drink while I write, be it water, coffee, tea. Also, I like to have notebooks around so I can make mind maps if an idea isn’t coming through clearly.

Lastly, my netbook.

Thanks ladies, neat post !
    <3 Loie

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:08 am #

Hey Loie! Of course coffee! How did I forget that! 😉

6. Kayla Jan 18 2013 at 8:41 am #

I also adore Scrivener! I’m a horribly unorganized person so it really helps me with that.

Also, and this is totally nerdy, I’ve started lately keeping little figurines of Twilight Sparkle and Spike from My Little Pony with me when I write. Twilight is to remind me to focus and not get distracted on Twitter while Spike is there largely for cheerleading and (of course) any research assistance I may need. 😉

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:09 am #

I love the figurines idea! I also like to have certain possessions nearby. Thanks for sharing yours! 🙂

7. Lucie Jan 18 2013 at 8:45 am #

I couldn’t live without pen and paper. When I’m stuck a legal pad is my best friend.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:10 am #

HEy Lucie! Pen and paper have saved me many times. I even like the good ole fashioned pencil!

8. Liz Parker Jan 18 2013 at 8:49 am #

So many good tools mentioned here, and I’m right with you guys on most of them! Scrivener, music, notebooks, phone, Kindle. I think out of all of these Scrivener is the one I couldn’t live without.

9. Leigh Smith Jan 18 2013 at 9:11 am #

Pretty much everything you ladies mentioned. Scrivener and MUSIC! But a new thing that I just discovered that has saved my distractable mind: Write or Die. It’s a life saver. I get so many words and never get stuck, and if I do, I free-wrte until my times up, which also helps.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 10:34 am #

Leigh, I never saw Write or Die before – thanks for the referral! I just checked it out and I think I will give it a try. 🙂

10. ellie M Jan 18 2013 at 9:16 am #

I love love love my moleskin notebook. My boyfriend got it for me and it’s been the victum of midnight ideas and scribbleing ever since, the poor thing. I find it a lot easier to write things out on paper. That and background noise. A TV show playing in the background that isn’t distracting, or music, or anything that’s constant.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 10:36 am #

I love the way you call your moleskine a “victim” of your writing, Ellie. Maybe it is a grateful recipient? 😉

11. Jasmine Stairs Jan 18 2013 at 10:12 am #

This is wayyy retro, but sleep and a good meal. I keep trying to write while living the classic self-abusive student life, and it keeps REALLY not working. So I need to take care of myself. Then I can fire up scrivener. 😀

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 8:18 pm #

I think I’m gonna have to agree with you Jasmine (although sleep deprivation seems to be my permanent state.) *sigh*

12. Sam Dailey Jan 18 2013 at 10:19 am #

I would definitely have to agree with Scrivener as a writing tool that has grown to be a life-saver, but my main writing tool I can’t live without is the Office of Letters and Light, the wonderful people behind NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo. They not only have events that help me boost my writing, but the organization comes complete with a large group of other writers who are so positive and inspirational and are always there to help with brainstorming.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Hey Sam! Yes! I definitely got a lot out of my NaNo experiences. 🙂

13. Meredith Anderson Jan 18 2013 at 10:23 am #

Definitely echoing Sooz and Sarah because I NEED music to write. Usually when I can’t get into a scene or something it’s because I’ve got the wrong song on or I’ve forgotten to turn my music on altogether. My other necessary is plans. Not just outlines for the story, but like floor plans for houses or the school my characters are moving around in. Or when I’m working on my fantasy, I have to have a map. I’ve drawn several cities in detail and even found an entire floor plan of a castle because I have to have that visual of lines on paper before I can see it in my head. Sometimes I don’t need it, but more often than not I’ll spend a couple hours visualizing and drawing out my world. Without that I would be SO lost.

And moleskin notebooks!!!! Because seriously that’s what I like to draw my maps in and I’ve used mine up!

You ladies are all wonderful! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
    Mer

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Hey Meredith! I love making up plans too! Thanks for being so supportive of PC. 🙂

14. Christa Jan 18 2013 at 10:31 am #

This is such a tough one! I think music and probably my phone. I use it on the subway or when I’m out and a bout to jot down story ideas, to block out scenes or if I think of snippets of dialogues. I would probably lose so many great ideas without it

• Vanessa Di Gregorio
      Vanessa Di Gregorio Jan 18 2013 at 11:26 am #

YES! Exactly! I find that scenes and dialogue and ideas come to mind in the most random places and the most random times, and if I don’t write them down right away they’re gone forever. My phone has SO many notes on my 2 WIPs, and another note dedicated to possible new story ideas. It’s the best!

And then when I sit down to write, if I get stuck, I just look at what I scrawled on my phone and it’s like a door has opened up – it’s fantastic.

15. Megan Duff Jan 18 2013 at 10:43 am #

Spotify!!! I love making playlists and mooching off of other’s playlists *sigh* Have you musically inclined ladies heard of it/used it?

I will have to look into Scrivener!

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Spotify! Yes, Megan, I’ve definitely used it and I agree it’s a great tool. Good call!

16. Jessi Jan 18 2013 at 10:48 am #

I could not survive without a composition notebook. That’s where I do scene outlines, brainstorming, character interviews, and preliminary drafting. I also couldn’t survive without my writing journal, to help figure out what big picture stuff is going on. The latter is thanks to Sooz, who suggested the idea once before.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Hi Jessi! I love how so many people are mentioning the good old fashioned handy dandy notebook. 🙂

17. Ghenet Myrthil Jan 18 2013 at 11:03 am #

I agree on Scrivener (LOVE! Though I use it mainly for first drafting and switch to Word after a couple rounds of revising.) I also couldn’t live without my writing friends. Their support is invaluable!

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Hi Ghenet! Funny – some say they use Word to draft and then edit with Scrivener, some do the reverse. And yes! writing friends! 🙂

18. Katelyn Jan 18 2013 at 11:28 am #

I’d have to say music. I honestly can’t remember the last time I wrote without music in the background. I also intend to get Scrivener sometime in the future. I’ve heard only awesome things about it.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 8:38 pm #

So many votes for music! Thanks for the comment Katelyn!

19. Rachel Jan 18 2013 at 12:00 pm #

I have to echo Marie and Leigh. I must have notebooks, and a new one for every story. Whenever I get an idea, typing it into my phone or even a Word doc isn’t enough for me. I feel like I must scribble it by hand or I will burst. Maybe there’s something organic about pen on paper that does it for me? (I do journal all the time, too.)

Cool post, thanks to all of you for sharing your writing tools!

20. Ellie Jan 18 2013 at 12:03 pm #

I just use Word to write, but after hearing all of these recommendations for Scrivener, I might have to try it out! I definitely need music, too.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:35 pm #

I use Word, too, Ellie! I’m pretty straight forward and basic, I guess. 😉

21. Nora Jan 18 2013 at 12:08 pm #

I’m a huge scrivener fan!

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:36 pm #

Hey Nora, you are definitely in good company here! 🙂

22. Alexa Y. Jan 18 2013 at 1:20 pm #

I think, to me, the most essential item for writing is a notepad (for jotting ideas down) and a colorful pen. I’m easy like that! It also helps to have encouraging writer friends, and books to draw inspiration from!

23. Jen McAndrews Jan 18 2013 at 2:04 pm #

To survive all I need is a pen and paper. I’m happy with those. Oh, wait. Also a folder since despite always carrying a notebook I persist in jotting things down on whatever scrap of paper is handy. But my favorite too is absolutely my Neo. Love the quick on/off, lightweight, and the way the limited display focuses me. Love it love it.

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:46 pm #

Hey Jen! I wasn’t sure what a Neo was so I looked it up. Very cool! 🙂

24. Erin L. Funk Jan 18 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Scrivener is a must! It’s my mini office. I also have to have my notebook where I scribble random thoughts, Post-its to stick all over my printed drafts, highlighters, and colored pens. And maybe a glass of wine. That’s a writing tool, isn’t it?

25. Natasha Jan 18 2013 at 3:38 pm #

Scrivener has totally changed how I write and stay organized in the last few years. Music has always been a part of my writing since I was a kid. Sometimes it helps add things to my writing in the most amazing ways.

Love this list!

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:50 pm #

Thanks Natasha! Scrivener and music seem to be getting lots of votes here!

26. Laura Wardle Jan 18 2013 at 5:48 pm #

I’m a Scrivener convert, too. I downloaded the trial version on a whim, and wound up buying the full program within the hour. It’s incredible. 🙂

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Hey Laura! I’m really impressed by how many people here love Scrivener! Sounds great. 🙂

27. Heather Marsten Jan 18 2013 at 6:16 pm #

I love notebooks. I carry a small one in my purse for quick notes. Index cards are great for playing with story plots.

28. Robin Hall Jan 18 2013 at 7:10 pm #

Notebooks are my best friends. I’m still old school and writing happily in Word, but I reference my notebooks constantly (esp. in revisions). Also, my writing friends are a must.

29. stephanie garber
    stephanie garber Jan 18 2013 at 7:18 pm #

I feel like I need to buy Scrivener after reading this post and all the comments. 🙂

I definitely couldn’t live without my writing friends! I don’t know what I would do without their encouragement, and my writing wouldn’t be half as good. I also want to echo Megan and say that Spotify is the best thing ever for making playlists!

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:55 pm #

Thanks Stephanie! I’ve used Spotify, but never for writing. I can’t wait to create a playlist for my WIP!

30. Creative A Jan 18 2013 at 7:31 pm #

I feel slightly overwhelmed by the amount of people using Scrivener here. I feel like I’m inching closer to using it, especially when doing tricky edits–*glowers at last WIP*–and now I feel like I ought to have started using it earlier. Eep.

But! Writing tools! I’ve started using a new composition notebook for each ms, which has turned out to be incredibly useful, since I end up jotting down everything from scene snippets to backstory to street names in it. And when I have inspiration while traveling, I can just scribble it in quick.

The other thing is…highlighters. Maybe I’m just a hands-on person? But I use highlighters relentlessly when revising. Somehow breaking things up into color schemes makes life that much less confusing.

Fun post!
    -Mandy

Julie Eshbaugh Jan 18 2013 at 9:59 pm #

Mandy, I totally agree about highlighters! I usually stick with orange but I like your idea of using lots of different colors. 🙂

31. Caitlyn Jan 19 2013 at 3:19 am #

Pen and paper is really all I need. But a computer is nice, too.

32. Tiffany Jan 19 2013 at 3:25 am #

Scrivener! Love it so much I bought it for my Mac and my PC.

33. Ange/Libby Blog Jan 19 2013 at 8:10 am #

Leigh – Too cool! We were just talking (during our big dreaming of dreams about what the high school library could look like next year) and the one spot we DO have dreamed up is a corner which is completely 2 walls painted in this dry erase board paint I found in a catalog which can also be used for a theater, etc. We are calling it the “Creativity Room”! You just made me think of that with you whiteboard wall wish! I hope we both get our bookish wishes! 🙂

34. Kirsten W Jan 19 2013 at 9:43 am #

A friend to bounce ideas off of 🙂
    (RainyMood is also wonderful, I layer it over classical music, too)

35. Nate Jan 19 2013 at 9:54 am #

Scrivener is definitely the best. I started using the software for Nano this last November and liked it so much I bought it before the trial period was used up. I still use Rough Draft as well – mostly for blog writing and note taking. Music isn’t a must when I write but when possible I mostly listen to epic heavy metal: Manowar, Falconer, Nightwish, Kamelot, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Iced Earth, Jag Panzer and a mountain of bands most people have never heard of. The Moleskin notebook is a great tool in itself – I carry these notebooks everywhere and write in them with a four color pen, a style of pen I feel is vastly overlooked as a writing tool.

36. Kate Jan 19 2013 at 10:13 am #

I love notebooks too! Something about filling a piece of paper with words just makes me feel productive. I also love my music 🙂 I can’t wait to try http://www.rainymoods.com!

37. Lori T Jan 19 2013 at 10:48 am #

I’m so old-school with my notebooks and pens. I have them everywhere for notes and outlines. Although Scrivener sounds like a really amazing tool for any writer to have. I don’t have a Mac, so I need to see it it’s just as good to use for PC’s.

38. AJ Bradley Jan 19 2013 at 6:13 pm #

I’m totally into Scrivener and for drowning out noise I use http://simplynoise.com/ But I also couldn’t live without my penlight! It’s a pen with a flashlight embedded inside, so when I wake up in the middle of the night with *the most brilliant idea ever* I don’t have to blind myself by turning on my lamp, the penlight only illuminates the inch or two around the pen’s point.

39. Katie Jan 19 2013 at 7:49 pm #

My big, fat red binder that has everything from maps of the countries I’ve created to character profiles to outlines. Also? Microsoft Word. I’m so much better at writing on my laptop than I am by hand, yet I can write outlines by hand and not on the laptop. Who knows why that is? Definitely not me.

40. Erica Jan 20 2013 at 4:40 am #

I’m with Leigh on the notebooks – I do so much plotting and drafting in notebooks, even though I do my actual drafts in word. I have charts and all my thoughts down in a notebook first.

41. Kirsty in London Jan 20 2013 at 5:26 am #

I’m with Jordan – I love nature “soundscapes” to filter out neighbourhood or office noise. Music is too distracting for me, even without lyrics, but the nature sounds wrap me in a little cocoon that lets me focus. Colleagues have resorted to throwing an eraser at me to get my attention!

42. Meghan Jashinsky Jan 20 2013 at 7:26 pm #

I LOVE Scrivener (just like everyone else, apparently). My husband got it for me this Christmas and I can’t even remember how I wrote without it before! Okay, maybe that’s a little dramatic, but still… I love it. I also need a good place to sit- being a pretty short person, a desk chair just isn’t comfortable for me because my feet never hit the ground the way I want them to. A cozy chair with a nice ottoman is best. 🙂

43. Nicole McInnes Jan 20 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Oh, the writer friends. Hands down, the writer friends are what I cannot live without.

44. Yahong Jan 20 2013 at 10:00 pm #

I love the variety in your answers! (Amie, that lava lamp sounds absolutely awesome.) The most important part to my process is a quiet space of time. Okay, that doesn’t sound really much like a tool, but it’s crucial to getting the words flowing for me. 🙂

45. Sara Jan 20 2013 at 11:06 pm #

I keep a yellow pad next to me that I can jot notes down on. It prevents me from editing as I write, and keeps me from forgetting what I need to go back and fix during revisions.

46. Marina Jan 20 2013 at 11:44 pm #

I need my laptop and Scrivener, silence is preferable, if I’m somewhere loud, I put on ambient music.

47. Brianna Jan 21 2013 at 2:00 pm #

I couldn’t survive without my Scrivener, rainymood.com, Spotify, and my quiet writing cave (which was actually once a walk-in closet).

48. Emily Jan 21 2013 at 3:31 pm #

I need my laptop, with a wifi connection, so that I can procrastinate and peruse the internet when I’m “working.”

49. Sarah S Jan 21 2013 at 3:37 pm #

I always seem to work and focus better when using my favorite fine-tip gel pens.

50. Kendra Jan 21 2013 at 4:09 pm #

I would have to say a pen…a really nice pen…one that would never run out of ink 🙂 that would be nice.

51. Jessica Capelle Jan 21 2013 at 6:18 pm #

Scrivener is a must- I love that I can drag chapters around as well as keep separate files for pictures and links and research, etc. Spotify is a must for me too. I have playlists that are book-specific, as well as different playlists for the mood I’m creating (emotional, fight scene, etc.) Lastly, my critique partners. Not only do they give me fantastic feedback, but when I meet with them to write, I get such good quality work done. I feed off of their energy and enthusiasm for my work.

52. Llehn Jan 21 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Um, a chair so that I can keep butt in chair and write.

53. kaye Jan 22 2013 at 12:25 am #

I need music, a moleskine (preferred, though I will write wherever if the mood strikes), and on my computer I utilise Scrivener due to its flexibility and customisation. More and more I find that I need a decent set of headphones that don’t hurt my ears so the pain doesn’t distract the words!

54. Amber Jan 22 2013 at 2:43 am #

Definitely my laptop! Or Zen Writer and some peaceful instrumental music :).

55. Madeline Jan 22 2013 at 7:39 am #

Couldn’t write without music: anything from Disney movies, Harry Potter or Titanic. I also have to have a cup of coffee or tea with me and a novel to read in case I feel tired and need to get my mind racing again. Might seem cliche but I also need my lap top and a 16GB USB because I have so many ideas running around in my head that they need to be stored somewhere, and since I don’t have a Pensieve (or magic powers for that matter) that’s the best place to store them.

56. Hong Jan 22 2013 at 9:01 am #

I cannot live without my lined notebook. Sometimes I have crazy ideas coming to my head during the day and I jot them down.

A moleskine notebook would be awesome to help me jot them more ideas once this lined notebook runs out of space!

57. Sarah Marie Jan 22 2013 at 11:44 am #

I’m not entirely too attached anything – I primarily write on my laptop, but if I’m going somewhere bring it is inconvenient I can write in pads or notebooks. Between midnight and four am I write on sticky notes in the dark. Once I wrote part of a short story in Google Docs on my phone on a car ride. If there was one thing, I have to say my noise-canceling headphones. They are as big as my head and only one side works. I love them.

58. Alyssa Jan 23 2013 at 2:24 pm #

I’m going to echo all the Scrivener love. It’s been such a useful tool for me and is so much better than Word. I also keep a writing notebook for planning out scenes and jotting down quick notes as I write. And Written? Kitten! is fun for motivation. 😛

59. Allie Jan 23 2013 at 5:29 pm #

I need my laptop, complete with instrumental music and Scrivener. Oh, and a USB drive to make sure I don’t lose anything.
    But I love to keep a notebook of ideas that I can carry around with me, as well.

60. sp @ oh! paper pages Jan 23 2013 at 9:58 pm #

I use Word docs to organize my draft and research information. I have heard great things about Scrivener, but I seem to be doing well with keeping things basic. I also have an excel sheet that counts my word progress like NaNoWriMo.