Last Call: Proxy by Alex London

Proxy by Alex London

Words from Proxy by Alex London, PubCrawl’s Book of the Month. Photograph of city and boy used via Creative Commons.

Inspired by The Whipping Boy and Feed, Proxy tells the tale of Knox and Syd, two boys living in drastically opposite social classes. Knox is a Patron, born into an extremely wealthy family. The world is at his fingers, and when he gets into trouble, a Proxy takes all his punishments. That Proxy is Syd. When the two are unexpectedly forced to team up, they learn that some debts cannot be repaid.

The above quote makes us PubCrawlers never want to set foot at Sterling Work Colony. What fictional place (i.e. Azkaban, Mordor, etc) would be your worst nightmare?

Like always, leave your answers below, or share longer responses in a blog post on your own blog, linking back to it via the comments.

31 Responses to Last Call: Proxy by Alex London

1. Julie Eshbaugh
    Julie Eshbaugh Jul 26 2013 at 9:30 am #

Great question! I think I would have to say my worst nightmare may be to find myself in the Overlook Hotel in THE SHINING. (Although as a child I would have said the castle of the Wicked Witch of the West! I was terrified of the flying monkeys!)

• Cailtin Vanasse Jul 26 2013 at 9:51 am #

Oh my goodness Julie, the only nightmare I remember from my childhood was he Wizard of Oz themed! The scariness of the Wicked Witch of the West is seriously underrated!

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:08 am #

Yes! Those monkeys were always terrifying. And Julie–The Shining hotel!? Um, yeah. Never want to set foot there.

2. Susan Jul 26 2013 at 10:07 am #

Ooooh, fun question. I think I’ll say the ENTIRE WORLD in World War Z (the book version…not the movie). Especially the Chinese Naval stuff. Oh god, or South Africa. I would *not* want to be in those places if World War Z ever happened.

ALSO, I love that graphic. It looks badass, Erin.

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:09 am #

I still need to read that book.

ALSO, thank you. You are too kind 😉

3. jeffo Jul 26 2013 at 10:39 am #

That actually sounds like a really interesting story. Worst nightmare? Hmm. That’s a tough one, there are so many horrible places in fiction. Maybe Fagin’s hideout in Oliver Twist, or, from a movie/TV place, anywhere with Blue Velvet’s Frank Black.

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:10 am #

Fagin, in general, always terrified me as a kid. The way he goes from caretaker to villain? *shudders*

4. Sandy Jul 26 2013 at 11:26 am #

Book: Azkaban is actually a pretty terrible place, I definitely wouldn’t want to go there. A prison on an island guarded by creatures that suck away all your happiness? One ticket to nopesville please! I also wouldn’t want to be in the world of Ashfall by Mike Mullin, that’s pretty terrifying since it’s so plausible.
    TV: The entire world in Game of Thrones

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:10 am #

I’m with you on Azkaban! I haven’t read ASHFALL yet, but I’ve heard a lot of great things about that book. (Though the world does sound pretty terrifying.)

5. Stephanie Allen Jul 26 2013 at 11:30 am #

Ooh, definitely Azkaban. I wouldn’t want to be surrounded by Dementors sucking away my happiness for the rest of my life and making me relive my worst memories.

Also, north of the Wall from ASoIaF/GoT. Not because of the supernatural army out for our blood, but because it’s cold. Yup. I have my priorities in order.

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:11 am #

Hahaha. I hate being cold too, so I hear you on this point 😉

6. Abbe Hoggan Jul 26 2013 at 1:15 pm #

The hollow in the middle of the Forbidden Forest where Aragog and his monstrous giant spider family live. Nightmare!

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:12 am #

UGH yes. I would dissolve into tears just like Ron!

7. Whitley Abell Jul 26 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Not a book, but I still occasionally have nightmares about the Nightmare King’s Castle in Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1980’s cartoon movie).

Also, Naughty John’s house in Libba Bray’s the Diviners (a lot like the non-fictional house H.H. Holmes [Devil in the White City]). Carnival fun houses and corn mazes freak me out (seriously, I panic), and infinitely worse when there’s a crazed (or magic/undead) serial killer watch you/hunting you down. Ugh, great! Now I’ve given myself chills.

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:13 am #

Haven’t read THE DIVINERS yet, but I’ve heard so many people say that book was creeptastic! Must pick up a copy.

8. Alyssa Jul 26 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Ooh, I love that graphic!

Okay, so this is from a video game series rather than a book, but I definitely wouldn’t want to get stuck in Silent Hill. As much as I enjoy the games, being in that town would be my worst nightmare for sure.

The fear landscape from Veronica Roth’s Divergent trilogy freaks me out too. It basically just places people in their worst nightmares, and I’m not sure I’d be as strong as Tris inside of it!

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:14 am #

Yeah, I’m so not Dauntless. I wouldn’t be able to deal with those fearscapes. Also, I’d probably earn a nickname like Four, only it would be Four Hundred or something. Because I’m a huge scaredy cat.

9. Hell's Kitchen Jul 26 2013 at 4:39 pm #

Marbury from Andrew Smith’s The Marbury Lens. The place of nightmares.

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:16 am #

Haven’t read this one, but just looked at the premise of the novel and EEP!

• Hell's Kitchen Jul 29 2013 at 11:38 am #

Oh, it’s a great one. You should definitely check out Andrew’s books. The most recent, Winger, got a great review in the NY Times.

10. JoSVolpe Jul 26 2013 at 6:10 pm #

I mean, Mordor, definitely. But I think I’d also that hole with the hands that talk from Labyrinth. Eeeeek!

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:16 am #

OMG that scene, Jo. That scene terrified me. Still one of the creepiest creatures from movies to date.

11. Marie Lu
    Marie Lu Jul 26 2013 at 6:59 pm #

This graphic is so awesome and ominous–I get chills!

I’m going to go with the Lair of the Pale Man in Pan’s Labyrinth, with the wrinkly white monster with eyeballs in his palms. OH GOD. THE PALE MAN. I am spazzing out. I think of all the monsters I’ve ever seen, that one freaks me out the most. Aaaaagh!

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:17 am #

UGHHHH YES. Marie, that creature is terrifying. That scene has such horrible, sickening tension in it. I have goosebumps just thinking about it.

12. Anthony Isom Jul 26 2013 at 7:28 pm #

In Andrew Smith’s book STICK, living with Stark and Bosten’s parents would be the worst. (Sadly, that is a reality for so many children and teens.)

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:18 am #

I haven’t read this one, but if it’s a broken home and/or abusive parents, Yes. Agreed. Novels that show us children living in such situations always breaks my heart, and like you said, the fact that it is a reality for many is only more upsetting.

13. Amie Kaufman
    Amie Kaufman Jul 27 2013 at 9:20 pm #

This thread is terrifying! I could agree with all the above, but I’ll add the other world from Coraline to the list. Eeeeeeek!

Erin Bowman Jul 29 2013 at 11:19 am #

Ooh, yes! Those button eyes will forever make me shiver!

14. Alex London Jul 31 2013 at 7:26 pm #

I know I’m biased, but I love this post! thanks for all the great responses! And that is some killer art!
    For me, other than the world of Proxy, which was daunting enough to live in in my imagination and all the fantastic hellscapes that have been mentioned , I think I’d be terrified to wake up in the Newark of Philip Roth’s novels. I mean, talk about judgmental communities! Give me the violence of Westeros or the terror of Marbury over the crushing doldrums of the suburbs any day!

15. system care Aug 3 2013 at 1:56 am #

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I
    get actually enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

16. Alexa Y. Aug 12 2013 at 7:30 am #

I’d probably go crazy if I lived in the world of Game of Thrones (as in the ENTIRE world). There’s just so much politics and delicacy required, and I don’t think I’d last a day at all. Scary stuff!