Last Call: Far, Far Away by Tom McNeal

Far Far Away by Tom McNeal

Words from Far, Far Away by Tom McNeal, Pub Crawl’s Book of the Month. Photograph of suitcases used via Creative Commons.

In Far, Far Away, Jeremy is hearing voices. More specifically, a single voice—the ghost of Jacob Grimm, one half of the infamous Brothers Grimm. As Jacob watches over Jeremy, protecting him and the town of Never Better from dark, unknown evils, a girl named Ginger Boultinghouse grows interested in Jeremy’s ability. And a grim chain of events begins to unfold…

The quote above got us thinking about travel, and we might argue Jeremy’s grandfather on this point. 😉 Venturing away from home is a great way to refuel your muse and gather information for future manuscripts. Tell us, where have you traveled for writing inspiration and/or research? What did you discover—besides the fact that you’d brought yourself along—while there?

Like always, leave your answers below, or share longer responses in a blog post on your own blog, linking back to it via the comments.

6 Responses to Last Call: Far, Far Away by Tom McNeal

1. Alex
    Alex Oct 25 2013 at 10:35 am #

I took a trip this past summer to England and Scotland and it was SO inspiring! It’s an amazing experience to get lost in cultures that are so much older than the United States–I loved learning about little traditions and seeing the different, gorgeous landscapes.

2. Kat Zhang
    Kat Zhang Oct 25 2013 at 10:40 am #

What a gorgeous Last Call picture!! You make them so well, Erin 😀

I’ve been wanting to read this book for ages. It seems really lovely. Thanks for reminding me of it!

As for traveling, I went to Europe this past summer and was SO inspired by all the history and museums and such. I barely had time for writing, but took tons of notes in my phone, hehe 😛

3. Susan Oct 25 2013 at 10:52 am #

I LOVE this Last Call, Erin! So, so beautiful!

Oy, I’ve been a lot of places and they always end up in my writing. From the people to the culture to the food to the landscape, it’s great to have so many AWESOME memories to call upon. But even still, there are SO MANY PLACES I still want to see! Even just around where I live, there are a ton of parks and museums I have yet to explore. 🙂 Even just taking walks around the block or heading to the beach with my dogs help clear my head and get the ideas going.

Again–LOVE this last call!

4. Julie Eshbaugh
    Julie Eshbaugh Oct 25 2013 at 4:37 pm #

Beautiful image, Erin! And a GREAT topic! I love to travel, and I think the times I’ve spent exploring unknown places are among the most memorable times of my life. Relationships change when you travel with someone – in a good way! (I guess they can change in a bad way, too, but that hasn’t happened to me yet. :)) I think if I were to list “things I discover when I travel” the top of the list would include truths about myself and about my traveling companions.

Thanks for this question!

5. Biljana
    Biljana Oct 27 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Traveling has been a huge part of my life since most of my family lives in the Balkans, but it hasn’t been until these past couple of years that I’ve started to appreciate the incredible cultures I’ve been exposed to and keep being exposed to as I continue to explore….but it’s the history buff in my that gets last word, and it’s the ancient and medieval towns and buildings that hit hardest. Certain places can fill me with such profound fullness it feels like my chest will break open. Writing seems to help relieve the pressure 😉

6. Alexa Y. Nov 6 2013 at 3:33 am #

I’ve never had the chance to truly travel for any of the stories I’ve written or am writing. Most of the time, the stories allow ME to travel to new places even while sitting in my chair OR are inspired by places that I’ve already been to before. I’m fascinated by the quote in this post though! It seems so fitting.