Writing and time management

Late last night, I remembered that I needed to write a blog post to go up this morning. I sat around for a good thirty minutes, refreshing Twitter and having one of those shouting-across-the-house conversations with my husband, because neither one of us wanted to get up. Finally, I asked a friend what to write about. She said, “Time management.”

So I thought this would be an excellent time to give you an idea of how I get through my day. I keep a very strict schedule that never varies so that I get all of my work done and never have to do anything at the last minute.

8 hours — sleep
2 hours — email
2 hours — Twitter/other social media
1 hour — lunch/TV
1 hour — email (again!)
1 hour — researching something that will affect only one sentence out of the entire novel, like what type of trees grow where
30 minutes — Twitter/other social media
1 hour — trying to find the perfect font
30 minutes — think about sleeping
2 hours — nap
2 hours — try to figure out what that word was that I couldn’t think of earlier
1 hour — dinner/TV
2 hours — realize that no writing will get done today unless I squeak out a few words right now

So there it is, my foolproof time-management plan. This is how I am never behind on anything and my writing is always done weeks before my editor starts asking me about my book. Deadline schmedline. I got this. And if you follow my guidelines, you can, too.1 2 3

1. It’ll also make your hair shinier!
  2. This entire post may be a lie.
  3. Or some parts might be true.

19 Responses to Writing and time management

1. Becki Oct 7 2014 at 7:28 am #

Refreshingly honest. Thank God it’s not just me… *goes back to faffing about on Twitter*

2. Katie Oct 7 2014 at 9:53 am #

Love this. I was totally fooled at the beginning, and thought “Wow, I wish I could be that organized.” But it definitely is nice to hear that I’m not alone on this front 🙂 And yes, parts of this schedule sound faaaaar too true. Ha ha.

• jodimeadows
      jodimeadows Oct 7 2014 at 4:35 pm #

Haha, Katie, you can be this organized! 😉

3. Fran Oct 7 2014 at 12:19 pm #

add + 30 minutes mastering new organizer/planner/calendar thingy for better future planning and then deciding it doesn’t work for me and you’ve got my number for sure.

• jodimeadows
      jodimeadows Oct 7 2014 at 4:36 pm #

Oh my gosh, the amount of time I spend looking at people’s adorable planners with their cute organizational methods, or software designed to help one get organized . . . yeah. I mean, I haven’t bought any of it, because I know I won’t use it. I just want it.

4. Chris Bailey Oct 7 2014 at 4:01 pm #

Printing this out to tape over all my other notes now. I think the key word is foolproof. Love it!

• jodimeadows
      jodimeadows Oct 7 2014 at 4:36 pm #

Yes, you don’t need anything besides this. 😀

5. 20 pound pretty bird Oct 17 2014 at 8:00 pm #

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing issues with your website.
    It seems like some of the text within your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them
    as well? This could be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
    Many thanks

6. Alexa S. Oct 20 2014 at 10:27 pm #

You are the cutest. Also, I better be seeing you keep to that schedule. It’s tacked up in the office after all 😉

7. read more Nov 11 2014 at 12:39 am #

If someone wants to determine what is actually happening
    with his favorite sport, they can surely use some sources to maintain himself around
    date all the time. As someone who studies politics, I see this being an outrageous play with the conservative-leaning network..

In conclusion, this informative article shows that writing and
    publishing an e – Book is an easy matter to accomplish.
    This might be done by restating your posture and presenting the thesis statement from the essay in a revised format.
    Ibuypower x79 read more It means if you happen to be having excellent command on English and love
    to write convincing articles then article writing jobs from home could be the best replacement for move ahead.
    Homework assignments vary in design, style and matter to match
    the academic needs which are put forth with the teacher.