Thank You for Being a (Writing) Friend

Writing is a solitary endeavor, but that doesn’t mean we do it all alone. We have writers’ groups, beta readers, crit partners, and online friends to help motivate and support us. And since it’s the time of year to be thankful for things, now’s a good day to let those folks know how much you value them.

Give hugs to all your writer pals, especially the ones who have stood by you through rejection after rejection, bad reviews, or terrifying bouts of writer’s block. Celebrate their successes and remind each other of the victories you’ve had along the way.

Tell your critique partners why you find their feedback so helpful and how much it aids you in making your stories the best they can be. Be specific about their strengths and what unique view they bring that no one else can. Make sure they know their value, both to you, and as a critiquer.

Let your beta readers know their insights and observations are always just what you need to fix the problems in your manuscript. If they’re not writers, they might feel they have little to offer, and knowing that a reader’s opinion can be even more valuable than another writer’s can make them feel appreciated and confident.

Thank your online bloggers for their advice and generosity, as most of them blog because they love it and enjoy helping their fellow writers. Let them know they’re appreciated and how their words have helped you (and how many of their posts you might have saved or bookmarked).

Show a little love to your commenters. Let them know that they brighten your day with their questions and comments, and that you look forward to those daily (or weekly) discussions.

And last, but not least, give thanks for those in your life who don’t understand this whole writing thing but stick by you anyway, give you time to write when you need it, don’t mind when you drop everything to scribble down a plot idea or a great piece of dialog, who don’t even roll their eyes anymore when you rip apart a bad plot on TV.

It’s easy to get caught up in our work and our lives, so sit back, take a look around and see all the wonderful people you have by your side.

Thank you all.

Who are you thankful for?

6 Responses to Thank You for Being a (Writing) Friend

1. Jadi Campbell Nov 26 2014 at 10:36 am #

Nicely done post — it rings truer than true (if that’s possible). You had me laughing out loud at the bit about rippuing apart the bad tv plot lines! —Jadi (PS: What’s a yard zombie?)

• Janice Hardy
      Janice Hardy Nov 26 2014 at 3:42 pm #

Thanks! My yard zombie is a resin stature of a zombie crawling up out of the ground. Just from belong the shoulders and up. His name is Cadaver Dan, and we decorate him for holidays. πŸ™‚

2. Nita Nov 26 2014 at 11:31 am #

Good morning! I love your blog. I am a beginner writer and your blog is like being in a writing course. I do have a question, though… What are beta readers, please? And how does one find writing buddies/critique partners?

• Janice Hardy
      Janice Hardy Nov 26 2014 at 3:47 pm #

Thanks so much, glad you find it useful πŸ™‚ Beta readers are the people who read your work and give you feedback. They help you find problems in a novel or story before you submit or publish it. Finding crit partners can be harder, but check your area for local writing groups. If you’re not sure where to go, try signing up for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) at their website. Even if you don’t plan to try it, they have lists of writing groups in your area who do, and those groups often get together at local coffee shops to write.

I also have something called Critique Connect at my blog, Fiction University a Yahoo group for folks to find writing groups. Send me an email from my site and I’ll add you to the group and you can see if anyone is looking for more members. I’ll be opening that up for folks again in the next few weeks as well.

3. Nancy LaPonzina Nov 26 2014 at 3:24 pm #

Thanks to you Janice for your wonderful wise guide, Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure. It sits on my desk for dipping into for daily encouragement! I LOVE it! Your blog is my favorite!

• Janice Hardy
      Janice Hardy Nov 26 2014 at 3:48 pm #

So glad it’s been helpful for you, and thanks so much for buying it πŸ™‚