Books vs. Babies!

me_and_rPeople sometimes talk about books as if they are babies, raised by the author and ultimately sent into the world to make their fortunes. We even wish authors a “happy book birthday” on their publication day! In the last month, I’ve been thinking about the similarities and differences between “book babies” and actual babies, since I’m in the position to compare the two directly; as it happens (as it was meant to happen), my new book and our first baby were both scheduled to debut in the first week of November. 😮

My son turned up a little early, which made the launch of The Silence of Six slightly easier, but it has still been an interesting experience juggling my new life as a father with my life as a writer with a day job. I decided to put books and babies side by side in the chart below. Like books and babies, it’s still a work in progress, and I left a few things out.

BooksvBabies

(click to embiggen)

Do you have anything you would add or disagree with? Let me know in the comments below!

22 Responses to Books vs. Babies!

1. Julie
    Julie Dec 3 2014 at 9:20 am #

What a great post! And a great pic! Congratulations again!!!

2. Leandra Wallace Dec 3 2014 at 10:05 am #

I’ve heard this comparison a lot too, but this is the first time I’ve seen a graph to go w/it, fun! =) And, oh, sleep. I remember those days. Mine’s almost three, and he still gets up at night. He had been sleeping through the night great for almost a year, and then a bout of croup messed that all up. *sigh*

• E.C. Myers Dec 3 2014 at 10:29 am #

Thanks, Leandra! I was hoping you would tell me it gets better 🙂 The kid is often sleeping through the night now; we’ll enjoy it while we can. Hope your boy gets back on that great schedule soon!

• Laura Rueckert Dec 3 2014 at 11:37 am #

Nice chart! About that “getting better” thing? It does…but I have a ten year old who has woken us up every morning at five for the past couple days, so…yeah. However, I’m sure everyone is 100% honest about the adorableness of your baby, as they were also 100% honest about the adorableness of mine. 🙂

3. Caitlin Sinead Dec 3 2014 at 10:10 am #

I love this chart!!!

Also, great news on both accounts, congratulations! 🙂

4. Peggy Eddleman Dec 3 2014 at 10:41 am #

Ha! So true! Love it! (And huge congrats, again. :D)

5. Rochelle Dec 3 2014 at 11:36 am #

This is so true! I spent my entire pregnancy comparing my WIP to my baby. (Seriously. There’s a series of posts from March through May on my blog about it.) I have a five-month-old and managed NaNo last month anyway, because I’m basically crazy. Isn’t crazy what parenting does to you?

The only part of your graph I slightly disagree with is that the real work with a baby begins after (s)he’s born. While this is definitely 100% totally true for dads, I think it’s less true for moms. I find writing and dayjobbing as a mother easier than I did as a pregnant woman. 🙂

6. Julie Dec 3 2014 at 5:00 pm #

This is awesome 🙂

7. Bev Dec 3 2014 at 6:42 pm #

You can do it, Eugene! I think the chart is spot-on.

• E.C. Myers Dec 3 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Thanks! I know it will be tight scheduling, but I’ll figure out a routine that works. I expect deadlines will help 🙂

8. Kendall Dec 4 2014 at 4:42 pm #

Love this! My baby was born late August, four weeks before my first novel debuted, and it’s been total craziness balancing the baby’s needs with the book’s needs. She was due the same day edits on my next novel were due, and since she arrived a day early, I spent the first few days of her life with her nestled in one arm and typing out edits with the other. It was madness, although I’d often look down at my baby snoozing next to my laptop and think I was pretty lucky to have everything I loved right in my lap.

I will also say that the baby helped with the post-publication slump, if only because I was too exhausted to care about book sales or reviews!

• E.C. Myers Jan 19 2015 at 2:05 pm #

Thanks! Yeah, babies have a way of shifting your priorities and keeping you busy, and giving you a positive perspective on life no matter what’s going on.

9. Lola Dec 7 2014 at 12:37 pm #

lol, what a fun post. I don’t have a real or a book baby, so I can’t really talk from experience, but I think you’re spot on with this post and I think it’s interesting you decided to compare them. I always found it a bit weird that authors call their books their babies, but I can kinda see why they say it as there really are similarities.