You Tell Us: What Do You Want to See?

Hello, PubCrawlers!

Today’s post is a little different than what you’ve been seeing from us… in fact, it’s all about you!

As you guys know, we do our absolute best to bring you fresh content about writing and the industry, and we’re generally careful to avoid repeating topics. As the new year hit, we started asking ourselves what we could do to make your reading experience even better—after all, a little change is a good thing, especially if it means we continue to grow (always a good goal)! With that in mind, we’d like to ask you guys the following questions to better help us tailor our posts going forward.

Please feel free to leave us a comment with answers to any/all of the following:

1. Are there any current features/types of posts on the blog that you would like to see turn into monthly, or even weekly, feature?
  2. What writing snags have you run into recently? Are your characters giving you any trouble?
  3. Is there an element of storytelling on your mind that we haven’t addressed recently, or at all?
  4. Do you have any specific questions about the inner workings of the publishing industry? Are you interested in hearing from more publishing professionals through guests posts?
  5. Are there any particular resources you would like to see more of? (For instance, printable guides or open threads through which you could connect with potential critique partners?)

If you have a very specific question you’d like us to address, go ahead and drop us a line. Remember—there is absolutely no such thing as a dumb question! We want to be a resource for writers of all stages, whether they’re just sitting down to work on their first story or they’ve published five novels.

21 Responses to You Tell Us: What Do You Want to See?

1. FJSeegler Jan 20 2015 at 8:36 am #

First off, thanks to all you amazing ladies at PubCrawl. It’s a delight to read your posts, catch on to your enthusiasm for the job, help others with their writing snags, and just inspire people. I wouldn’t be anywhere close to where I am today with my writing without you. So thank you.

I think open threads in which writers can look for a CP is always a wonderful idea. I think there aren’t enough opportunities to find CPs or beta readers out there. I believe to remember that you had a post/forum for a CP match up at LetTheWordsFlow and I miss the opportunity to be able to connect with other writers.

I’ve been thinking about asking this for a long time; I’d love to see your work spaces, ladies. It’s such a fantastic opportunity to see where ‘the magic’ happens and e.g. which inspiring quotes you have always available for you to see, or knickknacks that keep you company/inspire you.

2. Stephanie Jan 20 2015 at 8:37 am #

I definitely would love to hear details from publishing insiders including agents, editors and marketing professionals. I also appreciate printable character and plot worksheets, and anything relating to editing tips.

3. Sarah Jan 20 2015 at 9:27 am #

I would love to see an open thread for connecting critique partners!

4. Katie Jan 20 2015 at 9:46 am #

1) Not in particular. I like the general mix of different blog posts. I do really enjoy the posts about how the publishing industry operates–before following this blog I was pretty much in the dark about that. But you guys tend to post those fairly regularly, and I enjoy all of the other posts, too 😀

2) I’ve run into a few writing snags. The first is having a main character that’s too wishy-washy. For instance, swinging from one mood in one scene to a completely different mood in another. In theory and given the context of the scenes individually the character’s mood makes sense, but taking the scenes altogether makes her seem unrealistic as a person. The other “snag” I’ve run into is kind of a good problem to have: recently I’ve been completely overrun by awesome ideas for ALL of my plots. I wind up getting so wrapped up in exploring ideas I have for other stories that the one I’m currently working so hard to finish kind of falls to the sidelines. I’m not necessarily sure if this is a bad thing, since taking a bit of a break to explore creativity for other plots helps keep me fresh for my current story. However, I’m worried about letting myself become so distracted by plotting for other stories that I lose my forward momentum on my current one.

3) None that I can think of in particular!

4) I can’t think of any specific questions about the industry I’ve had that you guys haven’t already covered. Then again, like I said before I don’t know much of the industry, so I find all of your blog posts on the matter very illuminating 🙂 I definitely would be interested in learning more through guest posts, too!

5) I don’t know of any particular resources I’d like to see more of, but I will say that I would definitely love this. I haven’t been following Pub Crawl for all that long–a few months, maybe. But I really loved your “Five Tumblers for Writers” post and would love to see more in that vein 🙂

5. Rowenna Jan 20 2015 at 9:48 am #

I think you do a great job, currently, of balancing the information and the sources on Pub Crawl. I love that you have bloggers from different sides of the industry, and that we get industry/publishing posts as well as creative/writing theory posts.

I’ve been following and reading Pub Crawl since before it was Pub Crawl and continue to be impressed with the quality and consistency!

A couple ideas:

*Maybe “challenge” posts that encourage readers to blog about an idea and link back? I participate in a couple sewing blogs and this tends to encourage more participation and visit frequency than anything else. Different sphere, but maybe the idea could work here, too 🙂
    *Keep on showing all those differing perspectives and insights! Love it. Maybe more posts where you all answer one reader question from your unique, different perspectives?

6. Rachel Jan 20 2015 at 9:48 am #

Also like the idea of seeing writing spaces! I’d also like to see more on how to write query letters for stand alone books and for series, plus writing a synopsis.

7. Sam Jan 20 2015 at 1:07 pm #

I loved the posts each month that showed what new books were coming out. I would go through each list and select the books I wanted to put on my goodreads list. I really miss these posts and would like to see them come back!

8. Abby Jan 20 2015 at 1:51 pm #

I want to echo the other commenters to say how much I love reading PubCrawl. I’m always excited to see a new post in my reader, and you all do such a great job of varying the posts on writing, publishing, and reading.

Like others, I would love a critique partner connection. And it would be great to see different writing spaces! I also would love to hear more about what a day-in-the-life is like for those who write full-time and for those who write in addition to having a full-time job. I’d also like to know what unpublished writers can be doing with social media, because most posts about writing and social media assume you already have a book deal.

Thanks for asking!

9. Natalie Aguirre Jan 20 2015 at 4:13 pm #

I really like how you’re doing things here. I would love a few guest posts by some of the regulars who have left the blog because they are too busy. I really enjoyed their posts. Also, I’d love a little more industry posts and your advise on what to doing marketing-wise and for those in the year leading up to when their debut book releases. Also any tips on writing under contract, especially if you have to do it while keeping your full-time job.

10. G Jan 20 2015 at 5:43 pm #

Thank you so much for this blog and all the different posts that you do! I was hoping on some more posts on how to get a job in the publishing industry, after trying hard for a long, long time, even after doing a number of publishing internships, and how to improve your cover letter and resumes.

11. Pat Jan 20 2015 at 6:38 pm #

I’ve just recently discovered PubCrawl and am enjoying it very much. Your posts are insightful and encouraging.

I concur with most of the commenters regarding a crit partner, then all I have to do is let down my guard and actually send something LOL! I don’t know much about this type of “relationship” – perhaps if you do a post on this topic provide the guidelines are what is expected from each party.

12. Diane marty Jan 20 2015 at 10:48 pm #

I think it would be very interesting as well as helpful if we saw somebody take a novel from inception to completion. The struggles, methods and changes would fascinate your readers, I believe. And being in the writers heads to hear and observe their thought processes and solutions would be an incredibly enriching experience.

Similarly, if you chose somebody that had a first draft completed, and then had three industry experts perhaps an editor and publisher and agent and/or a book doctor critique the first draft and then show how the author adapts their feedback or not into the manuscript, well, I think that would add some real time value to content.

Another idea I had would involve contacting well-known authors and looking at how they assemble and create their work. I think it’s always helpful to introduce as many methods as possible.

Even information like popular bookmarks, leading research sites,leading apps, even organizational strategies or software etc. etc. would be very popular, I believe

Always,
    Diane

13. Stacy Couch Jan 20 2015 at 11:25 pm #

I very much enjoy the varying perspectives on PubCrawl and would love more industry posts from agents, editors, sales and marketing reps. The relationship between agents and editors in particular fascinates me right now (e.g.: how agents look at a ms. and see how it fits with an editor’s preferences, or how agents see the “voice” of each house).

14. Kate Tilton Jan 21 2015 at 10:11 am #

I’d love to learn more about ARCs (mostly about the process after a reader recieves an ARC and leaves their review, then what should they do? How do the publishers process that data?). And I’m always curious to hear about the traditional publishing process from the completion of your first draft to publication. 🙂

15. Laura Wardle Jan 22 2015 at 5:40 am #

I have been a long time follower of Pub Crawl since way before it became Pub Crawl, and check back daily. I come for the varied content, wonderful advice, and lessons about the publishing industry. Before Pub Crawl, I knew very little about writing and the industry. Pretty much everything I know has come from here. I continue to be impressed by all your commitment and enthusiasm to the blog—and giving back to the writing community. I truly appreciate all that you do. THANK YOU! <3

I loved the monthly releases that Vanessa did. They were fantastic on keeping up to date on current releases. My to-read list benefitted massively. It would be great to see that return. Also, I’d LOVE to see the second part of Amie’s productivity series at some point. Her advice was so very useful, especially the recommendation of the Pomodoro app.

Love the suggestion of the day-in-the-life posts of both full-time writers and people that write around a day job. And seeing your writing spaces—so cool!

Personally, I would love to see how you organise all your writing stuff. Loose notes, printed drafts, old notebooks, writing guides., etc. I like to keep my projects organised, but it can be difficult. Maybe this could be linked to the writing spaces? Of course, it doesn’t need to be perfect. We just want to see the reality.

All in all, I would just say continue what you’re doing. My favourite posts are, hands down, when you share hard lessons that you’ve learnt, such as Sooz’s resolution post. So raw and brave.

Again, thank you all so much. <3

16. Bonnie Jacoby Jan 22 2015 at 12:24 pm #

Pub Crawl has been an great resource and motivation during my writing journey. Many of the best posts have already been mentioned by others here, so I’ll address the topics I’d love to see.

1. How to get a critique partner.
    2. More examples of queries and loglines. How did the author come up with them? Why did the agent like it?
    3. The process of coming up with titles. WIP titles that change to query titles, that change once accepted.

Now, for a specific problem that I struggle with. Half way through revision, I keep rerevising the beginning chapters to add in all the great ideas and conflict hints that hit me. Any advice on how to push past that half way mark (chapter 20 out of 40) or is this just part of the process. It’s frustrating.

17. Megan Jan 22 2015 at 2:44 pm #

Hello! First I want to thank you all for your hard work on this site! Pubcrawl is one of my go-to places for writing information and has been so helpful and enjoyable to read. 🙂

I second a lot of what’s already been said–seeing your writing spaces, a critique partner thread, your day to day writing routines–all of those would be nice additions. In terms of writing snags, I’m almost done my current manuscript and have 2 ideas I’m choosing between to write next. One is a trilogy and the other is standalone, but it’s hard for me to choose because I love them both and feel I know enough to write each of them. So how do you decide what manuscript to write next, particularly when unpublished and unagented, and so have no deadlines forcing the choice?

Second, how do you know which manuscript to query first, or whether it would be better to write your next manuscript and just query that instead? I ask because knowing that the one I query with might be my debut novel makes me feel (internal) pressure for it to be the *right* manuscript. I hope that makes sense!

• Katie Jan 22 2015 at 3:04 pm #

That’s a really good point! I would love to hear more thoughts on this question, too: “how do you know which manuscript to query first, or whether it would be better to write your next manuscript and just query that instead?”

My particular dilemma is that, as an unpublished author, part of me thinks, “just go ahead and query what you already have. You don’t want to be waiting to finish “the perfect story” when you’ve already got something that’s good enough to send out.” But by the same token, the one that I’m almost finished with (and thus would be querying) is quite a bit different in style and intended audience from the majority of the other ideas I have, which makes me nervous that if I were to get it published people would expect more of the same (which is aimed at a younger YA audience) whereas the rest of my story ideas are for more of an older YA/NA audience.

18. Kim Graff Jan 23 2015 at 1:16 pm #

I absolutely love this site. It’s the greatest resource out there for those interested in the publishing industry. I would like to see a little bit more about the mysterious submission process (when a book goes to editors pre-deal) that happens after querying goes well.

19. Gwen Cole Feb 18 2015 at 11:46 am #

I would love to see a post about the book cover process in publishing. How many drafts it goes through. Does the author have ANY say? What if the author hates the cover? Etc.