You Tell Us: Do YOU Re-read Books?

What's Left of Me Hi PubCrawlers! Today we have a question for our readers. We want to know if you ever re-read books. If so, which books? What makes you want to read a book a second (or more!) time? If you never re-read, we’d like to know that, too, as well as why you don’t. Is it that you’ve never found a book you liked enough to read again? Or is it that there are just so many more books out there?

I’ve been curious about other people’s re-reading habits recently, since I picked up our own Kat Zhang’s WHAT’S LEFT OF ME to read a second time. I went back to it originally because I wanted to revisit the prose. Kat is a brilliant wordsmith, and I wanted to have her language in my ears as I was revising IVORY AND BONE. Also, I was partially motivated by the fact that I read it when it was a brand new book, and I didn’t even know Kat that well yet! Now that I know Kat better, I wanted to see if I would have a different reaction to the story. (And the answer is… a little bit, yes! I think this time through I “see” Kat in the book, at least in places.)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's StoneOur own Erin Bowman did a whole re-read of the Harry Potter series, and wrote about it here. I’ve only read a few books more than once, but I often promise myself I’ll re-read a book as soon as I close the last page. I think it helps ease the pain of saying good-bye to the characters and the world. (It’s not good-bye… It’s farewell! We’ll come back to each other again someday!)

So what about you? I hope you’ll share your thoughts in the comments. I’d love to know how other readers approach re-reading, (especially since most of us here are readers AND writers.)

As a special THANK YOU for joining the discussion and sharing your thoughts, we’re adding a contest! Leave a comment to enter the Rafflecopter below. The prize is your choice of ANY book by ANY PubCrawler—current members or alumni! The winner will select the book of their choice! And yes–this contest is open to international entries!

So YOU TELL US: Do you re-read? Why or why not?

a Rafflecopter giveaway

70 Responses to You Tell Us: Do YOU Re-read Books?

1. Stacey Campbell Jun 22 2015 at 4:15 am #

Hi Julie, thanks for the post! I remember having reread books that I LOVED about five or so years after I originally read them – I love how you forget details about the book when enough time has passed, and you can still get little surprises, or that feeling like its all coming back to you. I really loved the Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons, I must have read that, and The Girl in Times Square three times. I’ve also reread series that I loved as a kid – The “Tomorrow” Series by John Marsden when I was older, it was quite odd, they were so much smaller than I had remembered.

2. Tez Miller Jun 22 2015 at 4:55 am #

Sorry, Pub Crawlers – don’t have time to re-read, when there are so many books I want to read ONCE but haven’t got the chance to yet 😉

3. Marie Davies Jun 22 2015 at 5:07 am #

I’ve read a few series again mainly when I’m feeling exhausted or down. They make me feel like I’m home. Ally Carter’s Heist Society and Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments. I’ve reread Austen and Dickens – always finding a new take on the same stories. Oh and Harry Potter to add a bit more magic on those gloomy days. It’s like wrapping your plush blanket around you. Easy and comforting.

4. Brooke Jun 22 2015 at 5:41 am #

I haven’t re-read a book yet. There are so many books out there, I just can’t see myself re-reading something when I could find something new and exciting. That being said, if I were to choose something to re-read, it would be Harry Potter, hands down. As a matter of fact, I want to read it with my middle (he’s 8 1/2) because I really think he would enjoy the story.

5. Christina R. Jun 22 2015 at 5:46 am #

I love rereading contemporaries and fantasies – Stephanie Perkins, Sarah J. Maas.

LOVE rereading actually 🙂

6. Caroline Jun 22 2015 at 5:55 am #

I reread only a select few, such as the Harry Potter series. I will also sometimes reread a book if:
    – I was just sooooo excited while reading it for the first time that I went through it so fast, and want to read it again more slowly. Example: Divergent.
    – I want a nice summer read, so I may reread a contemporary I loved. Example: anything by Kasie West.
    – There is just something unique about the book, I loved it, and I keep thinking about it. Example: I will be rereading Sarah J. Maas’ ACOTAR somewhere this year.

7. Stephanie Jun 22 2015 at 5:59 am #

My TBR list is too big to reread. However, when I’m experiencing writers block (I write YA,) or when I read 4-5 books In a row that are just eh, The Sea of Tranquility is my palate cleanser. That book, because of the dual pov, the writing style, and the emotional element, is the only book I’ll re read. It’s inspiring.

8. Terry Jun 22 2015 at 6:02 am #

I reread a lot, but I notice that it’s only character-led books. If the plot is the focus, ie I read to find out the ending, then I don’t feel the need? So C J Cherryh, Tanya Huff, Dick Francis I’ll read again, and again, while big names like Patterson or Crighton, I’m increasingly not likely to read at all.
    I have noticed recently though that I reread less now, since most of my reading is on Kindle. Odd, and I’m not sure why, except that a proportion of that is ARC copies for review, which may be skewing the stats.

• Marc Vun Kannon Jun 22 2015 at 6:37 am #

Exactly. I prefer character-driven stories. As I’ve often said, with a properly-written book, the story is never the same twice because I’m never the same reader twice, i.e., the experience of reading the book, that story with those characters, has changed me. A book that doesn’t change me as I read it is a book I’ll stop reading.
      Plot-driven stories are the worst. Read it once, there’s nothing left, if there was ever anything there at all. I was put off mysteries for a long time because I started with Agatha Christie. It wasn’t until years later I read another mystery and found that they can have decent characters and be fun.

• Abby Jun 22 2015 at 8:18 am #

It’s interesting that you found only plot with Agatha Christie mysteries – for me, the plot is secondary to the way the books make me feel. I grew up listening to her mysteries with my sister, and there’s something comforting about revisiting familiar characters (however one- or two-dimensional they might be) and plot twists. (Maybe because they also call up happy memories? I don’t know.) I guess that’s what makes reading a unique experience for people – each reader can get something different out of the same book.

• Marc Vun Kannon Jun 22 2015 at 10:18 am #

I remember many books I hated the first time I read them, and then read them much later and it was like reading a new and much better book. I may have read the Christies while I was in a bad patch and never gone back. I’m a fantasy/sf reader and writer, for the most part, although I have a number of romantic suspense stories that I love. I was pulling out Ellis Vidler’s Cold Comfort every day for a week, after I read it the first time.

9. jeffo Jun 22 2015 at 6:09 am #

There are certain books I go back to from time to time: The Grapes of Wrath; A Prayer for Owen Meany; several of Stephen King’s books. I’m not sure I can explain why, because I think the reason is different for each of them, and sometimes, I just want something familiar and comfortable.

10. Marc Vun Kannon Jun 22 2015 at 6:27 am #

Mostly I reread nowadays. The best books are the ones that have something new to say every time you come back to them. The only time I could see myself not rereading a book is if it was so superficial and so linear that everything the story had to say was picked up the first time, and I probably wouldn’t even finish a book like that. There are so few of the types of stories that I’d like to read at all that I have to reread them. Or write them.
    Not to mention the expense. I can’t see myself buying a book I’ll only read once. I’d go to the library for that. Since I have lots of books around that I did pay for and I already know I like, I don’t go to the library that often, at least not for myself. I go for others, and I may pick up a book for me while I’m there, but with a Kindle or two around I don’t need to go to the library for them either.
    Not to mention the work. Taking those words and putting them together in my head that first time is the hardest part of reading any book. Why go to all that trouble for something I’ll only use once, and get the least pleasure out of? Why build a theme park I’d never use again?
    I feel no need or desire to try to ‘keep up’ with the constant flow of new titles, rather the opposite. Change for change’s sake just makes me tired.

11. Holly Jun 22 2015 at 6:42 am #

I love rereading. Usually it’s because I want the comfort of a well-loved book, or because I’ve been absolutely amazed at first reading and sped through the book, and need to go back through it at a more leisurely pace. All of my favourite books have been reread countless times

12. Abby Jun 22 2015 at 8:14 am #

Usually I feel that there are so many books to read that I don’t have time to return to ones I’ve enjoyed. The great exceptions are the ones where I fall in love with the characters so much that I can’t bear to let them go; books that so perfectly fit my interests that I wish I’d written them; and books that comfort me for one reason or another. And sometimes a book fits all three of these categories! Maud Hart Lovelace’s Betsy-Tacy series never fails to comfort me when I’m feeling blue or out of sorts, and I love those characters to death. A few others I tend to revisit are Harry Potter, A NORTHERN LIGHT by Jennifer Donnelly, and Libba Bray’s Gemma Doyle trilogy.

13. Lindsey Jun 22 2015 at 8:28 am #

I LOVE rereading. The Hobbit? I’ve reread that twice a year since I was eight. What’s the point of having a glory of books on your shelves if you’re not going to treat yourself to being able to reread them.

14. Beverley Jun 22 2015 at 8:30 am #

I love re-reading books. They’re old friends that you re-visit from time to time. As a matter of fact I’m re-reading The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne right now. But books like The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski, Harry Potter, all Robert Heinlein books (yes, I’m extremely eclectic in my tastes) are all cherished pals I enjoy spending time with every now and then.

15. Laura Jun 22 2015 at 8:41 am #

I sometimes reread something if I’ve only listened to the audiobook version – like Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. I also want to reread Harry Potter since I adore it but haven’t reread it since the first magical time.

16. Diane Burton Jun 22 2015 at 8:46 am #

Even though my TBR list is huge, I often re-read books. Sometimes I’m in such a hurry to find out the ending that I miss details. I always reread Jayne Ann Krentz’s books (Jayne Castle & Amanda Quick, too). I’m writing a sci-fi romance about a woman whose baby was stolen by traffickers. I reread Linda Howard’s Cry No More (for maybe the 4th time) to gain more insight as to how a mother would feel to lose her child that way. I’m sure I’ve reread all of Howard’s books. Another author I’ve reread (more than once) is Linnea Sinclair. Love, love, love her sci-fi romances.

17. Ana Veciana-Suarez Jun 22 2015 at 8:48 am #

I re-read certain parts, usually if I’ve bookmarked them. A good turn of phrase or beautiful language are my hooks.

18. Katrina T. Jun 22 2015 at 8:55 am #

I think the I’ve re-read the most is the Hunger Games. Harry Potter is a close second. I usually do it when I’m pining away for the next book in the series and there’s nothing left to tide me over. I also find that re-reading is almost as good as or sometimes even better than reading a book for the first time. Because I wouldn’t tend to rush reading that much, and it lets me pay more attention to the details. I could even pause and admire the beauty of a sentence. And there’s no need to rush in excitement, because I already know what’s going to happen next anyway.

19. Alwyn Jun 22 2015 at 9:00 am #

I have been known to re-read on occasion, books from my childhood mainly. They are quick reads and take me back to being small: Mairelon the Magician by Patricia C. Wrede, The Enchanted Forrest Series, also by her. And…not sure if it counts as a re-read but I had Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine on Book on Tape (as in an actual Cassette) when I was little and I wore that out listening to it over and over and over. And then reread it as an adult. I think the only YA I have ever reread cover to cover and not just snippets here and there has been Divergent, because I flipped open to check something and accidentally got sucked in. Lots I’d like to reread though, Hunger Games, City of Bones, Heist Society, basically a lot of the early YA I read, which I would love to get sucked back into the feeling I had when reading them for the first time.

I will probably re-read The Winner’s Curse at some point before the final book comes out. Because I enjoy torturing myself.

20. Chelsey Jun 22 2015 at 9:06 am #

I have slowly started rereading books more and more lately, but I definitely have to be in a certain mood for it. If I force myself to reread something for no particular reason, then I find myself not enjoying it, even if I absolutely loved it the first time around! I have to want to immerse myself in that world and those characters again. Because of this, I almost always opt to read a new book over one I’ve already read, but there are some that I just love revisiting! My favorite book of all time is the Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, and I’ve read it so many times that I’ve lost count! It’s one of those books that I discover something new about it with each reread, and I just love it to pieces.

21. Katie Jun 22 2015 at 9:10 am #

I’m definitely a re-reader. Although I do sometimes feel bad for re-reading books when there are still so many more on my TBR list, re-reading a fantastic book fills me with so much joy. The books I tend to re-read the most are the books that mean something truly important in my life or that have had a major impact on me. So a lot of my childhood favorites–Ella Enchanted, Harry Potter, Howl’s Moving Castle–I’ve read so many times I can’t count anymore. More than twenty times, at least. Also, certain authors just seem to stick with me, either because I am in awe of their writing (Brandon Sanderson) or because I just find their books fun (Meg Cabot). There are some series that I love and would love to re-read, but would just take too much time so I don’t (Wheel of Time). Otherwise, I tend to re-read books in a series when the new book comes out. Current examples would be Gail Carson Levine’s A Tale of Two Castles, Sanderson’s Reckoners trilogy, and Erika Johanson’s Queen of the Tearling. Hoping to re-read Maas’ ToG books too in preparation for the next book this September!

All that said, I don’t re-read the majority of the books I get to. There are a lot of YA books that are good (and some that are just decent), but not really worth re-reading in my opinion.

22. Anna Dobritt Jun 22 2015 at 9:14 am #

On my KIndle Paperwhite, I set up a collection for Books to Read Again. The highest honor I can give a book is to place it in this collection. The book needs to have great characters, a great plot and few errors. Of all the books i’ve read over the past couple years on my KIndle only 144 have been added to this collection.

23. Stephanie
    Stephanie Jun 22 2015 at 9:23 am #

Great questions, Julie! I really love rereading books. I could totally relate when you wrote, “I’ll re-read a book as soon as I close the last page. I think it helps ease the pain of saying good-bye to the characters and the world.”

Some books like, Outlander and Stolen by Lucy Christopher, I’ve reread right away for that very same reason. But then sometimes I’ll purposefully let a book sit on my shelf for a year (like Jellicoe Road and Finnikin of the Rock) so that I can go back to it with fresh eyes and attempt to relive the experience of reading it for the first time. 🙂

24. Corina Jun 22 2015 at 10:25 am #

I reread books all the time.It started as a kid when I reread Emily Rodda’s Deltora Quest all the way through every year for a good six or seven years, just because I loved it so much. And when I discovered Tamora Pierce as a teenager I read everything by her several times because she was such a fantastic author.
    I particularly like to reread right before a movie comes out or another book in the series is about to be released. So I’ve read Sarah’s Throne of Glass three times, Crown of Midnight twice and Heir of Fire once, and I’ll probably reread them all again before I get into Queen of Shadows.
    Otherwise it depends on my mood. Sometimes I just really feel like rereading a book. I often have a hankering for rereading the Hunger Games, just because I really enjoyed the POV in those books. Sometimes it’s about the familiarity and wanting to be able to immerse myself without having to think as much as you do when you read a new book… Depends on the type of books too. I’m more likely to reread a YA book than an adult one, purely because of length and the complexity of language, I think.
    I’ve read the 4th and 5th Harry Potter books more times than any of the others, and I don’t quite know why I wanted to revisit those two more than I did the others. So, I’m not positive what the books I like to reread have in common beyond my enjoying them in some way, but I think it’s the ones that really speak to me or have a profound impact on me that draw me back multiple times.

25. Elizabeth Torphy Jun 22 2015 at 11:10 am #

I DO NOT reread books….albeit I have done it. There are too many new/other books to read. But I have to say that I did recently go back and read all Jane Austen’s books to understand and appreciate them now that I am older. And there are books that I would like to “remember” that I didn’t appreciate when I read them in High School or College because they were read as assignments, like Madame Bovary. I will go back and read scenes if I want to remember certain things..Like watching Outlander has made me go back to refresh my memory. But for the most part, I am a writer and a reader who doesn’t re-read. Does that make me strange????

26. Anna-Maria Crum Jun 22 2015 at 11:23 am #

I often re-read books. It’s like visiting an old friend. It doesn’t matter that I know what’s going to happen. I still enjoy the story and the writer’s craft in telling it.

27. Alexa S. Jun 22 2015 at 11:38 am #

I’m definitely the type of gal who enjoys rereading! I mostly do it when I (a) want to revisit series and get really into the story before continuing on with the latest release or (b) want to revisit a world and characters I’ve loved. I most recently reread the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, which I read as a young girl, and it was such a fun experience! I’m always interested in rereading to see how my reactions have changed, or if my opinion on a book has changed, or just to get back into the world that these series opened up for me. YAY REREADING!

28. allreb Jun 22 2015 at 11:45 am #

Oooh, hmm. I do reread, but only a very few books. For the most part, they’re books that have a special meaning to me – my favorites from when I was in middle or high school (and a couple of romance novels I first read 7 or so years ago(), that are the book equivalent of comfort food. I reread them when I want to feel warm or happy or whatever other emotion they evoke.

As an adult and writer I think about that a lot. What is it about the way these books make me feel that brings me back to them, often yearly? Sadly I don’t have much of an answer. For some it’s nostalgia, and for others it’s just… unbridled id, they happen to be exactly what I want in a story. Shrug.

That said, I don’t think I’ve reread anything that I first read within the last five years or so, and aside from those romance novels, nothing else that I’ve read since college. It’s the books that got me when I was really young that I come back to, though I certainly have good intentions of rereading some that I’ve loved recently. But there are always more coming out and my TBR pile is towering, so I just don’t get around to it…

29. Kelly Jun 22 2015 at 12:09 pm #

I re-read chronically! I never thought much about it until I saw a post about how a book blogger had sworn off re-reading. As I recall, she reasoned that reading only new titles would make for a more productive and varied reading life. I didn’t realize how much I rely on re-reading until I saw that and immediately knew that I could never do the same.
    The comfort of reading is huge for me. Occasionally re-reading a title will lead me to re-evaluate a character or theme, but more often I just want to relive the emotion or satisfaction from my first reading, or just spend more time with the characters. I think there is an element of risk avoidance, too, however. I read new titles all the time, of course, but frequently (and especially at night before bed) I want a story that will affect me exactly how I want it to.

30. Natalie Jun 22 2015 at 12:41 pm #

I am a HUGE re-reader. I will re-read things immediately after I’ve finished them or years later. There are some books (like Tamora Pierce’s Tortall books) that I have lost track of the number of times I have read them.

I feel like there’s always something new to learn or feel about books. I am a big re-watcher too with TV so maybe there’s just something wrong with me.

31. Sioux Jun 22 2015 at 12:48 pm #

I used to re-read alllllll the time when I was a kid. Favourites like “the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe”, “Mrs Frisby & the Rats of NIMH”, “the Forgotten Door” and the Alanna series … I’ve read so many times I can’t even count. Nowadays, my TBR pile grows every single day and I have to be really selective in what I re-read. If I have a book that I just adore and the sequel is coming out, I will make time for a re-read just so I’m as much in that world as I can be. Oh, and I’ve re-read Harry Potter 1 & 4 so so so many times because, well, Harry Potter.

32. Ashley C Jun 22 2015 at 1:06 pm #

I don’t often re-read books because whenever I do find time to read I prefer to experience something new.
    However, there are a few staples I come back to and re-read every couple years. Usually I re-read a book for one of two reasons–either it was so fun and easy to read that it’s almost comforting to come back to (as one person said, like visiting an old friend), or it had so much in it that I continue to get new things out of it each time I read.

In the first category I come back to books such as The Chronicles of Narnia, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Treasure Island. In the second I come back to books such as The Lord of the Rings and The Count of Monte Cristo.

33. Kira Budge Jun 22 2015 at 1:09 pm #

I definitely reread, though it’s a limited amount with how many new books are on my TBR. I have a Goodreads shelf for books I need to reread. 🙂

34. Jaylee Jun 22 2015 at 3:48 pm #

I can’t remember the last time I reread a book except in college. The reason I don’t is there is so many novels available and my time so short. Once I know a story I’m satisfied and move to another story.

Jaylee

35. Luana Jun 22 2015 at 4:13 pm #

I used to re-read a lot. I have some books I’ve read up to 7 times! The reason was mostly not having anything new to read at the moment… I would just pick a book I loved and re-read it, then hopefully find a new one after the re-read. However, I’ve not done it for a long time because now my reading list is impossibly long 😀 😛 There are some books I would like to read a second time… But they’ll have to wait for a while.

36. Sierra @ Yearning to Read Jun 22 2015 at 4:47 pm #

I loooove to reread! there are certain books I read once a year, around the time of year that I originally read them. Delirium trilogy in March, Raven Cycle in February or May, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight in July. those are just a few 🙂 Great post and lovely giveaway – thank you!

37. Kelly Jun 22 2015 at 5:37 pm #

Once in a while I re-read the whole Harry Potter series which is what I did last year and found myself falling in love with it again. In the later books I didn’t really like Harry but when I revisited the first 3 books, I remembered what I loved about the main character.

38. Peggy Rothschild Jun 22 2015 at 6:28 pm #

I love re-reading books which introduce me to a character I love and give me a peek at a fascinating new world. I start my biennial re-reading of the Harry Potter books in October — and am always misty when I turn the last page. As a child, I re-read Anne of Green Gables, Johnny Tremaine and The Outsiders to the point where I could recite entire passages. Re-reading is such a great way to immerse myself in the words of other writers and the worlds they create.

39. Stacey
    Stacey Jun 22 2015 at 6:34 pm #

I’m going to be super nerdy and say Lord of the Rings trilogy and CS Lewis’ Lion/Witch/Wardrobe series. I loved the world building and the conflict!

40. Shari Schwarz Jun 22 2015 at 6:45 pm #

I rarely reread but the times I have, I realize how much I missed the first time around. One that I’ve reread several times (especially since having children) is The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. And each time, I get more out of that book. It’s so deep and rich of meaning. I’ve reread the Twilight series a couple times, too (don’t judge!) 🙂

Thanks for the giveaway!

41. Ellen Kennedy Jun 22 2015 at 7:00 pm #

I re-read all of Jan Karon’s Mitford books about every 3-4 years. They entertain and refresh me every time.

42. Andy Neil Jun 22 2015 at 7:38 pm #

I read lots of books over again. I’ve read the Harry Potter books about 3-4 times, Vampire Academy Series a couple times, Wheel of Time series about 6 times. For me it’s always about the characters. If I fall in love with the characters, I’ll want to re-read the book at some point to try to recapture that feeling and hopefully see something new.

43. Liza @ Reading with Jun 22 2015 at 8:24 pm #

I do re-read books from time to time. More often than not, I tend to read my favorite parts of beloved books, like HP, Pride & Prejudice, Persuasion, Jane Eyre, and others.

44. Zezee Jun 22 2015 at 8:51 pm #

I enjoy rereading books. I often do so to relive the story or to have old emotions wash over me again. Sometimes it’s due to nostalgia–I just want the story to take me back to where and when I was before. I reread many books but the ones I reread most often are the Harry Potter books (which are due for a reread), The Chronicles of Narnia series, the Neverending Story, and Tamora Pierce’s Song of Lioness series and Immortals series.

45. Alexia Chantel Jun 22 2015 at 10:22 pm #

i love re-reading! When you go back you get so much more out of the story, if the author is good you pick up on hidden meanings and can see the premonitions. If a book gives me a hangover I am sure to re-read.

46. Kayla Jun 22 2015 at 11:22 pm #

I LOVE to reread. It feels awesome. I get to see what I remember fondly and there are always, no matter what or how many times I’ve read, details that I’ve forgotten. It’s like getting to visit a favorite friend again. No matter how many new and wonderful books I have to read, I keep around the books I know I’m going to read again. I don’t see the point in a collection going unused!

47. GL Jackson Jun 22 2015 at 11:42 pm #

I love to reread favorite books. To me it’s like watching a movie a second time – if I liked it the first time, I’ll probably like it a second, third, fourth time. I own some books that I like to reread on general principle every year or two. Sometimes when I want to immerse in the author’s style, there’s no better way than with a book I’ve read before. I can re-read it with the knowledge of what happened and focus instead on the things that make their writing so special.

48. Markella Jun 23 2015 at 2:24 am #

I’ll only find myself re-reading books I haven’t read in a long time- most of the time ten years at least, since highschool. I don’t like knowing what’s going to happen next, even if I loved reading the book the first time. It’s the same with TV shows, even if I loved them. I can’t stand rewatching shows. Although I do buy a lot of books, it’s not for re-reading really but for the sake of owning them and looking at their pretty goodness.

49. Jen Jun 23 2015 at 1:24 pm #

Sometimes, but there are so many good new books out there waiting for me that I feel guilty a lot.

50. Jo Smith Jun 23 2015 at 3:17 pm #

I have read many books over the years some books many times (The Bridges of Madison County). Woman of Substance saga books are well worn and look it. I never allow a book I love to leave me unless I feel the person I give it too will get as much out of it as I did and I immediately by me a new copy to replace. Deceptions by Judith Michael is another book I’ve re-read many times and tried to buy the movie but never found it. I’ve bought many copies of the book to replace the ones I’ve given away. Why do I re-read so many books? Mainly because I love the story and the way words flow through my mind as I read them. Some of the characters are people I just can’t turn lose of so like old friends I revisit them. Many of the early Danielle Steel books I have re-read many times. I love the way she writes and the descriptions of everything including the wall paper make it so easy to become the heroine and as i always do live the book as I read. A diamond and a book never lose their beauty.

51. Kim Jun 23 2015 at 6:43 pm #

Yes! I totally love to re-read. I wish I had more time though so I could do it more often. It’s always hard to balance the time to address the massive TBR list and to get back to old favorites. I’m currently re-reading one of my all time favorite YAs, IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma, but I have been meaning for a long time to re-read Courtney Summers’ THIS IS NOT A TEST as well.

Oh all the time.

52. Rachel Jun 23 2015 at 8:37 pm #

I love to re-read. Most times it’s because I can’t let go of the story yet and I just want to live, spend more time in the world the author has created. Other times it’s to go back on a few details of the story that I’ve forgotten. It’s also a great way to get out of a reading slump. Whenever I get on one, all I have to do is pick any old book I love, re-read and it gets me going again.

53. Paola Jun 23 2015 at 8:59 pm #

I reread all the time! There’s nothing better than picking up a book that I already love. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by my TBR so an old favorite makes me happy.

54. Amelia Jun 23 2015 at 10:06 pm #

I re-read lots of books! I re-read old favorites mostly because they are like literary comfort food. Sometimes it is the prose, sometimes it is the plot, sometimes it is the characters or the settings…but I come back to relive those happy moments I enjoyed while between their covers.

In the past several years, since I have started writing myself, I often find my writer’s brain dissecting plot or motivations. I feel like I understand a little more what was driving the book and why it was so good.

In the past six months, I’ve purposefully re-read for that analysis. Right now, I’m re-reading “Code Name Verity.” The first time through, I inhaled it in 24 hours, but this time, I’ve been reading off and on for a week and I’m only a third of the way into it. I’ve been jotting notes and highlighting favorite bits.

55. Jenelle Riane Jun 24 2015 at 10:04 pm #

Around five years ago, I reread books a LOT. But lately, I don’t have the time to with my huge TBR- However, if I’m binge reading a complete series wherein I only read the first book before, then I reread the first book because I usually forget the story already!

56. C.A. Jun 24 2015 at 10:18 pm #

ALL THE TIME! I re-read to analyze the character arcs, the pacing, the world-building… whatever I think will be useful to better my own writing. And sometimes I re-read just because it was AWESOME.

57. Allison M Jun 25 2015 at 12:48 pm #

I most definitely re-read! I think I am most apt to re-read something if it successfully pulls me into the world and it’s a world I want to visit again. Or, if I love the characters. If I love a book I will read it multiple times.

Some books I’ve read more than once and probably MULTIPLE times.

– The Harry Potter series (yes, I have read the entire series multiple times)
    -To Kill a Mockingbird (at least once a year)
    -1984
    -These Is My Words (At least once a year)
    -The Time Traveler’s Wife (This one because with time travel there is always something you miss)
    -The Hunger Games (Haven’t finished re-reading the series yet, though)

I want to read Ready, Player One again
    I don’t know exactly what compels me to go back. But, once a book has me, it has me heart and soul and I just can’t let that go.

58. Jocelyne T Jun 25 2015 at 2:28 pm #

I re-read the Harry Potter series every 1-2 years 🙂

59. Caitlin Jun 25 2015 at 5:14 pm #

Oh I reread books all the time! Harry Potter stories are my go-to, but when I read a book that just speaks to my soul, it goes on my shelf and gets pulled down at least every few years because I just have to let the story speak to me again!!

60. _Sandra_ Jun 25 2015 at 5:17 pm #

I re-read books from time to time, especially some of my favorites. I always find something new and exciting to love about them. Also, it’s always interesting to see how many things and details you missed while reading them the first time.

61. Catherine Siborutorop Jun 26 2015 at 2:53 am #

I mostly re-read books that I didn’t quite really enjoy, but they have many glowing reviews. Or my most favorite books that gave me some kind of emotions that I want to feel again. Thanks for the giveaway!!

62. Duca Jun 27 2015 at 8:55 am #

Thank you for the goveaway! I do re-read. Usually I re-read books that I really loved, and sometimes when I dont know what to read next I go back to those books that I already read and liked.

63. Pauline J. Alama Jun 29 2015 at 11:39 am #

I love to reread books that are written with multiple layers of meaning in the same words, so that the lines that seemed to mean one thing the first time you read them turn out to mean something else. You can get that on a basic level in mysteries, where a second reading lets you discover the clues you missed the first time. But where it really excites me is in fantasies where a more profound level emerges on the second reading. I have reread Patricia A. Mckillip’s Riddlemaster trilogy many times, admiring the many lines that hint at Deth’s true nature before it’s finally revealed.

The Harry Potter series also reward re-reading. Going back to the earlier volumes of the series, I notice how later plot events are foreshadowed in little throwaway lines, in bits of comic business (As Hagrid is shepherding Harry through his first trip to Diagon Alley, dog biscuits fall out of his pocket–well, I imagine that 3-headed dog that you later find out he’s taking care of must eat a lot of dog biscuits), in descriptions of Quidditch games, even in characters’ names (Lupin’s name gives away his secret). Not all of this foreshadowing pays off. I was sure Ron Weasley’s death had been thoroughly foreshadowed. I still wonder whether Rowling originally planned him to sacrifice himself to save the day in Deathly Hallows (as seemed to be foreshadowed in Sorcerer’s Stone, and then changed her mind.

64. Regina Foo Jul 6 2015 at 9:28 am #

I’m not a person who would re-read a book, at least none so far. There are too much books in my TBR list so I don’t think I’ll spend the time to re-read books. But recently I have decided to re-read Zodiac by Romina Russell because I’ll be receiving the ARCs for review. I guess by re-reading the first book, I’ll enjoy more in reading the sequel without having to wonder what happened in the previous book.

65. Ariel @ Fictively Aug 20 2015 at 10:53 am #

I re-read often. Usually it’s just books I loved, but also earlier books in a series I haven’t completed. Lately I’ve been re-reading older books from before I began my blog so that I can get them properly reviewed.