This is apparently the Korean drama recommendation episode! This week JJ and Kelly tackle the end of NaNoWriMo. Sort of. We hope. Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving! We will be on hiatus next week, but will pick up again in December! Gobble, gobble.
Have some tropes!
- Bicker Bicker, Kiss Kiss (What TVTropes calls Slap-Slap-Kiss)
- Kong-ji, Pat-ji (Korean Cinderella)
- The Big Misunderstanding
Remember, whether or not you “win” NaNoWriMo this year, be proud of everything you have accomplished! Success isn’t defined solely by word count, and hopefully you’ve taken away some tools and lessons from the experience.
What We’re Reading/Books Discussed
- Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones (hey, we had to promote our own at some point)
- The Immortal Heights by Sherry Thomas
- Winter by Marissa Meyer
- A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray
- The Harry Potter audiobooks (narrated by Jim Dale)
- Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (narrated by Alan Cumming)
- The Song of the Lioness and The Chronicles of Prydain
- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Off Menu Recommendations
It’s the holidays! Movies! Time! Netflix and chill!
- Full House (Korean drama)
- Propose (Korean drama)1
- Sungkyunkwan Scandal (Korean drama) (JJ reviewed this on her blog)
- Rooftop Prince (Korean drama)
- Stranger Than Fiction
- When Harry Met Sally
- You’ve Got Mail (remake of The Shop Around the Corner)
- Prince of Thieves (and Men in Tights)
- Cabaret (1998 Broadway Revival)
- Pride & Prejudice (with Colin Firth) and Bridget Jones’ Diary
- The Lord of the Rings extended trilogy
- The Sound of Music
- Muppet Christmas Carol
- While You Were Sleeping
- Cool Runnings
- The Cutting Edge
- Home Alone
- White Christmas
- Mixed Nuts
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
That’s all for this week! We are returning to our old format, wherein we discuss a publishing topic in depth. Leave your suggestions in the comments or email us or ask us on Tumblr! The next episode will be a year end round-up, but 2016 (Already????) is a blank slate, y’all!
- This drama is directed by Yoon Sok Ho, who is my mother’s favorite director because he doesn’t resort to Kong-ji, Pat-ji storylines. ↩