This week JJ and Kelly discuss Voice in another installment of their Writing Mechanics series. Voice: What is it? How can you develop it? How many times can they say “voice” in a single episode?
- What is voice? JJ talks about it a little on her blog.
- Understand Voice and Tone in Writing by Grammar Girl
- How to Craft a Great Voice by Nathan Bransford
What We’re Reading/Books Discussed
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- You: A Novel by Caroline Kepnes
- The Lover’s Dictionary by David Levithan
- Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
- Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones
- Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
- Poison Study, Magic Study, and Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder
- Bryony and Roses by T. Kingfisher
Off Menu Recommendations
- Still The Black Tapes and Tanis podcasts
- The No-Sleep Podcast (and associated subreddit)
- Kelly is still on the fence about Dawson’s Creek
What We’re Working On
- Kelly will be teaching another class on contracts at the Loft Literary Center and working on her YA novel
- JJ is juggling several different writing projects and is trying to figure out what to work on next
That’s all for this week! Next week we’ll be doing our QUERY CRITIQUE podcast!