This week JJ and Kelly talk sales conference and deliver some publishing real-ness. Also, yet more other podcast recommendations.
- In addition to editorial, production, marketing, and publicity, publishing houses also have a sales force.
- The sales force comprises of people who have accounts with various bookstores throughout the country, e.g. Barnes & Noble, indie bookstores, mystery bookstores, etc.
- The responsibility of the sales force is the sell titles to these various accounts
- When people in publishing refer to the “book buyer”, they are not talk about the consumer; they are the people at bookstores who choose what books to carry in their inventory
- Presentations at sales conference involve someone presenting the list of titles for a given season to the sales team including: title, synopsis, price, cover, blurbs, etc.
- As much as we would love to believe this to be true, not all the publisher’s resources are distributed equally across their lists
- Every season, there are books designated as “lead titles”—the reasoning for the designation can be somewhat arbitrary, but can include books for which the publisher has paid a large advance, books that have inherently very commercial or sexy concepts, a book that is timely in some fashion, and for a myriad of other reasons
- Lead titles receive the bulk of the advertising and marketing budgets, and often have their own dedicated teams in-house. Publicity and marketing can also be complemented and outsourced by the publisher to independent third-party companies who act as consultants.
What We’re Reading
- Red Rising and Golden Son by Pierce Brown
- The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman
- Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
- Night Study and Shadow Study by Maria V. Snyder
What We’re Working On
- Kelly is too busy with life to remember what she’s working on
- JJ is struggling with what she wants to write next and agonizing over which direction she wants her career to go
Off Menu Recommendations
- 88 Cups of Tea with Yin Chang
- Batman: The Animated Series
- Descendants of the Sun (K-drama)
- The West Wing Weekly
- The X-Files Files and The X-Files reboot
- The Indoor Kids
That’s all for this week! Next week we’ll be talking about AUTHOR PLATFORM AND BRAND. As always, let us know if you have any questions!