How is Writing Like Playing Video Games?

A few years ago, I explored the idea that playing Nintendo games, which are notoriously hard, helped set me up for success as an author. Recently, as I have dived back into my retro-gaming hobby, I’ve been thinking about expanding on that idea with a series of videos illustrating how playing 8-bit video games on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), like Super Mario Bros., taught me everything I need to know about writing. And now I’ve finally produced my first episode of “8 BITS About Writing”, which I’m happy to share with the world for the first time right here!

I realize that a Venn diagram intersection of writers and retro gamers is probably small, but I hope this will appeal to individuals in both groups, and possibly provide some good advice and amusement in less than three minutes. Please let me know what you think of this experiment! If people like this, there definitely will be more in the series, comparing writing to Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins, Kid Icarus, Battletoads, The Legend of Zelda, and more… Or, why don’t you tell me what 8-Bit NES game I should feature next?

7 Responses to How is Writing Like Playing Video Games?

1. Julie
    Julie Jul 26 2017 at 9:14 am #

I LOVED THIS! Especially the bonus tip at the end. Can’t wait for more, EC!

• Eugene Jul 26 2017 at 9:45 am #

Thank you! I worried it was perhaps a bit too self-indulgent 🙂

2. Sherryl Jul 26 2017 at 11:34 am #

I’ve played video games for years, and quit playing a certain very popular game because it got too easy. Winning after a great struggle is what makes any game fun. And I learned a lot of important life skills. Like, don’t panic, don’t give up, and tomorrow is another day. Thanks for a great article. It brought back a lot of memories.

• Eugene Jul 26 2017 at 11:52 am #

Thanks, Sherryl! Those are great lessons. What were some of your favorite challenging games?

3. Alexia Jul 26 2017 at 8:01 pm #

This makes me want to drag out my Nintendo! And surprisingly…Mario does correlate to writing. Nicely done!

• Eugene Jul 26 2017 at 11:19 pm #

Thanks, Alexia! I’ve really enjoyed having Nintendo back in my life, so I highly recommend it. The old games are also perfect for someone who’s busy with writing and everything else, because most of them can be played in short bursts of time, and it’s easy to pick up where you left off if you have to take an extended break from gaming.

4. Andy Jewett Jul 27 2017 at 7:50 am #

Fun concept, thanks for sharing… I enjoyed the video!