So, BEA (BookExpo America) is fast-approaching, and those of us at Pub Crawl who are attending couldn’t be more excited! While some of us at PC are BEA vets, others (like *cough*Kat and Sarah*cough*) are total newbies!
Because it’s going to be such a busy week, and because we’re pretty sure everyone likes to plan their BEA schedules well in advance, we thought we’d let you guys know where we’ll be—because we’d LOVE to meet you!! Seriously, if you’re around at any of these events, don’t hesitate to come say hello! We adore meeting our fabulous readers!
MONDAY, JUNE 4th
TUESDAY, JUNE 5
Young Adult Editor’s Buzz Panel (featuring What’s Left of Me by Kat Zhang!)
Location: Javits Center, 1E14/1E15
Marie Lu will be at the Indies Choice Awards lunch, very excited to accept their award for Legend as a nominee for Book of the Year! (WOOOOOT!) There will be an author autographing afterward at the ABA Lounge.
Location: TBA (Check out Marie’s Twitter account for updated info!)
Kat Zhang will be signing galleys of What’s Left of Me!
Location: Javits Center, Autographing Area, Table 24
Apocalypsies (2012 debuts) Mix & Mingle (Sarah J. Maas & Kat Zhang will be there)! See more details about the other authors who will be attending HERE!
Location: Javits Center, 1E02/1E03
Teen Author Carnival. Kat Zhang will be (hopefully) attending the tail end of this!
Location: Jefferson Market Library
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6th
Sarah J. Maas will be signing galleys of Throne of Glass!
Location: Javits Center, Autographing Area
Young Adult Author’s Buzz Panel (Kat Zhang will be on the panel!)
Location: Javits Center, Downtown Stage
Marie Lu will will having a ticketed in-booth signing for Prodigy!
Location: Javits Center, Penguin’s booth, #3922
NYC Rooftop YA Author and Blogger Party (Sarah J. Maas & Kat Zhang)
Location: Invite Only
AND—while we’re super-excited to share our books with you guys, we’d also like to share what other books we’re pumped to grab at BEA!
- Something Strange & Deadly by our own Susan Dennard
- The Darkest Minds by Alex Bracken
- Skylark by Meagan Spooner
- Crewel by Gennifer Albin
- Origin by Jessica Khoury
- The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver
- The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente
- Splintered by A. G. Howard
- Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr
- The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
- Princess Academy: Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale
- Black City by Elizabeth Richards
- Venom by Fiona Paul
- Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
Two of our more conference-savvy members had some awesome advice regarding attending BEA:
- Bring some food (like a snack), and a drink—cafeterias are always expensive
- Wear comfy shoes. You’ll be standing in a lot of (long) lines, and you’ll be walking around all day. The last thing you want is blisters or sore feet! Comfortable shoes are a must!
- If you plan on bringing back a lot of swag, consider bringing a bag on wheels—or even a carry-on suitcase. Books are heavy, and lugging them around sucks!
- Keep your map with you at all times- that building is extremely confusing—especially meeting rooms.
- Plan out your signings in advance. Some are ticketed events which mean getting to the Javits super early in the am (like some people get there at 6) to get your ticket.
- Autographing area gets really busy—be prepared to wait upwards of an hour in line. There in the past have been some in booth signings as well. Keep an eye out for those as well.
- Set up a box for yourself in the shipping area at the beginning of the day and periodically make a dump of your ARCS, etc. It gets very heavy to carry everything around.
- The editors buzz panels are extremely helpful. Also plan out which other sessions you might like to attend. Not usually free books at these, but great for getting info on hot titles and a chance to meet some authors.
- LOVED Speed Dating with Children’s Authors. This event gets filled up fast though, so get there a bit early.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing—it’s a lot of walking.
- Check the schedule for special giveaways in the booths such as a t-shirt, special edition ARC, etc. These usually happen at specific times.
- Bring water with you and possibly a snack. You can eat in the Javits, but it’s expensive and you may want to save a few dollars. There’s nothing else around outside of the building for options.
- There are free shuttles picking up and dropping off at BEA at certain hotels in the downtown core. Check these out in your planning because getting to one of those is likely cheaper than taking cabs to and from Javits.
I was absolutely blown away by my experiences there and I got a lot out of it!
In addition to this fabulous advice, we also compiled a list of a few posts from other blogs with some awesome BEA/conference-related tips:
- The Story Siren: BEA Edition
- The Story Siren: BEA Edition 2
- La Femme Readers: BEA—All You Need to Know
- La Femme Readers: BEA—All You Need to Know, Part 2
Annnd, that’s it! For those of you going to BEA, have a GREAT Time! And for those of you who aren’t, we’re sure we’ll be tweeting updates throughout the entire week! Hooray!