Writing and Editing Workspaces!

About three months ago, I had a life change. I left my job at Grosset & Dunlap at Penguin to become an Editor at Egmont USA. It was a very exciting move for me, if a bit scary. Grosset had been my first publishing job and my first “real job” out of college. I had a ton of memories there and it felt like my second home.

When I arrived at Egmont in December, I was thrilled to begin working on a new list and with a new team, but I realized something was missing. Now, this may sound crazy, but hear me out.

My desk at Grosset had been very lived over the course of my five years there, I had acquired numerous action figures, plush toys, photos, and trinkets from my authors. When I got home from my first day at Egmont, I knew I needed to bring in the little things that would make my desk feel like “home” again. What are those things?

Well, my Benjamin Linus bobblehead, of course.

Ben Linus doll

And my paper machete, inspired by an amazing typo written by one of authors (attempting to spell papier mâché) and what I use on particularly intense edits!

paper machete

At last, my workspace was complete!

Jordan Workspace

My journey to complete my new workspace made me wonder where all of the other Pub(lishing) Crawl members do their work. Here’s a sneak peek at where they write/agent/and sell their books!

Erin workspace

Erin Bowman’s amazing workspace

Susan Dennard's desk

Susan Dennard’s desk

Writing Space - Julie Eshbaugh

Julie Eshbaugh’s writing space

JJ's workspace

JJ’s workspace

Amie Kaufman - I usually work in my study, but I love to move around as well -- this is the view of my writing spot at one of my favourite bars in Melbourne, where I can sit right on the river and watch the world go by!"

Amie Kaufman – I usually work in my study, but I love to move around as well — this is the view of my writing spot at one of my favourite bars in Melbourne, where I can sit right on the river and watch the world go by!

Biljana Likic's workspace

Biljana Likic’s workspace

Jodi Meadows - You might think there's a lot of yarn on this desk. You'd be right. You're probably also overlooking some. There's more than you think. No, another one besides those.

Jodi Meadows – You might think there’s a lot of yarn on this desk. You’d be right. You’re probably also overlooking some. There’s more than you think. No, another one besides those.

E.C. Myers - Basically, I write 95% of the time on my netbook, even when I'm at home, and I mostly use my larger laptop and keyboard for other work — graphics, video editing, e-mail — and blogging. I work best outside of my apartment. :-/

E.C. Myers – Basically, I write 95% of the time on my netbook, even when I’m at home, and I mostly use my larger laptop and keyboard for other work — graphics, video editing, e-mail — and blogging. I work best outside of my apartment.

Adam Silvera's desk at work

Adam Silvera’s desk at work

Adam's workspace for writing

Adam Silvera’s workspace for writing

Joanna Volpe's desk

Joanna Volpe’s desk

Joanna Volpe's bookshelf

Joanna Volpe’s bookshelf

Kat Zhang - Here's where I'm writing right now (local B&N). Only add in half a dozen toddlers running around.

Kat Zhang – Here’s where I’m writing right now (local B&N). Only add in half a dozen toddlers running around.

The Pub(lishing) Crawl team is a great example of how everyone has a different place where they work. What makes your workspace unique and special to you?

12 Responses to Writing and Editing Workspaces!

1. Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/publisi9/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2893

Leandra Wallace Mar 12 2014 at 9:56 am #

Fun! I love getting to see other people’s spaces. And I have long been in love w/Erin’s. So bright and welcoming! I recently did an office reveal on my blog, so if anyone would like to check it out, it’s: http://leandrajwallace.blogspot.com/2014/02/office-reveal.html I just like sharing it b/c I’m so happy w/how it turned out. =)

Erin Bowman Mar 12 2014 at 10:40 am #

Dude, your office is gorgeous! Love, love, love! Especially all those bookshelves and the bright yellow desk. 🙂

2. Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/publisi9/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2893

Catherine "Kitsy" St Mar 12 2014 at 10:36 am #

Great post. I love seeing other people’s studios. Mine is covered with photos–of friends, family and of my characters.

3. Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/publisi9/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2893

Day Mar 12 2014 at 11:44 am #

Okay, I have only one question. Of all the photos taken who cleaned their work space before taking a picture? Be honest! Because I know mine doesn’t look like that on the best day! LOL

Adam Silvera
      Adam Silvera Mar 13 2014 at 2:18 am #

I totally cleaned my work desk! There were empty Ginger Ale cans, another water bottle, and gum wrappers.

Day Mar 13 2014 at 7:44 am #

Ha! I knew it! LOL

4. Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/publisi9/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2893

tracikenworth Mar 12 2014 at 2:32 pm #

Pics of those I love, everything in order, LOVE it!!

5. Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/publisi9/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2893

Jessie Humphries Mar 13 2014 at 12:00 pm #

Such amazing spaces. I have a desk but I’ve never written on it. I’m more like Kat, B&N or Starbucks is my office.

6. Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/publisi9/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2893

Kahea Mar 14 2014 at 1:22 pm #

I love seeing other people’s workspaces! I typically work on my bed (and am not very productive), because my home office is depressing. Seeing everyone else’s space in inspiring me to redecorate and make my desk somewhere I want to write!

7. Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/publisi9/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2893

Alexa S. Mar 16 2014 at 8:38 pm #

My office workspace is currently very impersonal. I share a desk with a coworker (she’s on one side, I’m on the other), so it’s a bit crowded. But the reason I haven’t really brought anything personal in is because we’re going to be moving offices in a month or two, so I figure I’ll just add some more personal flourishes at the new place.

As for my apartment, I don’t have an official workspace. I am planning to create a little writing nook (or at least the semblance of one), but it’s a little difficult when you’re sharing space with two other people and have barely any room to yourself. Still, it’s my goal to make one. And to one day, in my own house, have one too!

It was pretty cool to see everyone’s working spaces, so thanks for sharing!

8. Warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/publisi9/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2893

Lisa Kajue Oct 8 2014 at 9:18 am #

Beautiful!

Erin’s looks SO comfy, but I would like to know how JJ WRITES when her laptop is up like that.